Allergic to Diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
I'm sure we're all allergic to even a smidge of diesel fuel on the ER floor or in the bilge. But is anybody allergic to diesel fuel on their skin?

Apparently, I'm not the only one: How to Treat Diesel Fuel Skin Infection | eHow

I spent several days cleaning the spilled diesel fuel out of the bilges and handling the cut-up tank.

YES! Oh my, when I work in the engine room or fuel up, you would think I am handling toxic waste from a nuk spill! I take precautions, safety glasses, heavy duty gloves, shoe covers, etc. I keep a small locker in the engine room to house all this gear.

YES! Oh my, when I work in the engine room or fuel up, you would think I am handling toxic waste from a nuk spill! I take precautions, safety glasses, heavy duty gloves, shoe covers, etc. I keep a small locker in the engine room to house all this gear.

Why not simple (and cheap) nitril gloves when fueling? I have a box of them on the boat to use when doing oil or fuel maintenance. I don't use them for fueling, but it would be easy to do. Toss the gloves along with the used fuel rags when done.

Thankfully I am not allergic to diesel, old motor oil, antifreeze, solvents, etc.
Been up to my elbows in them many times. LOL

Work is my most recent allergy.

I used to think I was not allergic to anything except Poison Ivy (and work). I understand that the older you get, the more likely you are to develop allergies. I've never had to worry about anything, so far so good except for diesel. More importantly, so far so good for epoxy!

As I've gotten older, I've found that I've become sensitized to substances that did not bother me previously. It could just be a cumulative effect of exposure over years, or just part of aging. I am trying to play it smart this time with marine epoxy by wearing gloves at all times when dealing with uncured resin, it's too late for me with diesel!

Greetings,
Mr. DH. I think Mr. WH is pretty close to the mark by using the word "sensitivity" as a result of "....a cumulative effect of exposure over years." I've known medical workers who have developed a sensitivity to latex thus the increasing popularity of nitrile gloves.

Greetings,
Mr. DH. I think Mr. WH is pretty close to the mark by using the word "sensitivity" as a result of "....a cumulative effect of exposure over years." I've known medical workers who have developed a sensitivity to latex thus the increasing popularity of nitrile gloves.

Thanks RT I never considered LATEX been the problem:D

I love the faint smell of diesel in the morning. :D Thankfully, my engine has yet to produce smoke. :)

"marine epoxy by wearing gloves at all times when dealing with uncured resin, "

Don't forget the "bad stuff", epoxy hardener, will be on the surface of recently cured epoxy.

Scotch brite pad and most dish washing machine soaps make short work of removing it.

Dishwasher soap usually contains TSP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom