Old 10-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Loretta
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Impeller Install Issues Cummins Diesel QSB6.7

It is shameful for me to admit I toasted my impeller due to not re-opening the fresh water engine intake seacock after systems check. Luckily (I thought) I had a spare onboard. After removing the old impeller, I attempted to install the new one. I applied some Dawn to the new impeller but could not get it to engage more than half way. After 3 hours of making various attempts to twist the new impeller and checking for obstructions or if there was a "key" notch (not one I could find), I finally had to call Boat US. Attached a picture of the impeller housing. Any tricks to getting the new one back on?

My vessel is a 2015 Beneteau ST 34 with a 425 Hp Cummins Diesel model QSB6.7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9344.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	69016
Clemson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson101 View Post
It is shameful for me to admit I toasted my impeller due to not re-opening the fresh water engine intake seacock after systems check. Luckily (I thought) I had a spare onboard. After removing the old impeller, I attempted to install the new one. I applied some Dawn to the new impeller but could not get it to engage more than half way. After 3 hours of making various attempts to twist the new impeller and checking for obstructions or if there was a "key" notch (not one I could find), I finally had to call Boat US. Attached a picture of the impeller housing. Any tricks to getting the new one back on?

My vessel is a 2015 Beneteau ST 34 with a 425 Hp Cummins Diesel model QSB6.7.

Attachment 69016
Mine is a bear if the vanes get caught up on the water inlet "grate" on the pump body. You have to keep the leading tips of them bent inward towards shaft to pass.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Mine is a bear if the vanes get caught up on the water inlet "grate" on the pump body. You have to keep the leading tips of them bent inward towards shaft to pass.

Thanks - that's what I assumed was catching the impeller but wasn't certain.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

City: Subic Bay
Some Silicon grease on the impeller it'self makes a big difference and a little on the shaft for easier removal next time , quite a few impeller suppliers include a little tube of silicon or other grease with the impeller, Yes the larger impellers can be a real struggle to fit, just to note when bending the rubber impeller vanes to pass the cam, be sure you bend in the correct direction of rotation other wise even though they do normally flip around, you can damage them, once started in the housing I often use a little gentle force in the prudent use of a rubber hammer,

Also be careful with the type of grease used as some impellers dont like various petroleum products although it usually is gone with in a few hours,

Cheers Steve
CaptSteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Take belt off pump and rotate pulley while shoving impeller. Probably vanes getting caught on slots in cam. A little rotation usually gets it cleared.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I compress the vanes (in the right direction) and use a nylon wire tie to hold them compressed. I also use a rubber lubricant on the vanes. As I insert the impeller, the wire tie slides out of the way while still keeping the vanes compressed.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had a real problem on my starboard engine due to the fact that you can't really even see it. I bought a tool that you slide the impeller into and then push the impeller and tool into the pump. Then hold the impeller in place and pull the tool out. Works great. It is an aluminum sleeve with a funnel on one end to slide the impeller into the tool. I forget the name of the company, but it has been posted on this forum before.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
I think this is the impeller tool that you are talking about Dave...amazingly the link is to "Impeller Tool dot com". No relationship to the company. Found it when I had an impeller problem. Didn't buy one so not sure how good a product it is.

Impeller Installation Tool
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

That is what I bought. No relationship to company, just a great product. My stbd engine would be almost impossible to change without it. The mechanic that had been working on my boat for the PO of 15 years said they drew straws as to who had to change the impeller and loser had the job. He said they usually pulled the pump to change the impeller. That was also a big job. With this tool, I can change the impeller with the pump in place in about 20 minutes.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I spent several days and dozens of techniques trying to get my "spare" impeller on last year. I even had a mechanic try and he couldn't. It turns out the splines on the impeller didn't match. The impeller even had the exact same part number on it as the one that came off. I bought a new impeller and it slipped right on.

I have no idea how common this is but it might not hurt to try it with another impeller. You will need another spare anyway so it doesn't hurt to try.

I have a Cummins QSB5.9.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
A section of .010 inch shim stock (or there about), cut about an inch longer than the depth of the pump will also work in place of the tool. If lubed up it will pull out easily after inserting the impeller. I have used this many times.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I've used a piston ring compressor tool to compress the vanes of the impeller but the funnel looking tool looks far easier to use.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I also bought Speedseal cover plates for my pumps. They use an O ring instead of a gasket to seal the cover. I had an issue with them leaking at launch this spring. I had tightened the thumb screws as tight as I could, but they still leaked. Used a pair of pliers to tighten them some more and the leaks went away. Of course my fingers don't torque as well as they used to...
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
It doesn't matter which way the vanes bend on insertion, they will immediately come into position when the motor turns over, aided by the liberal application of grease you used to help slide the thing in.
Any grease will do, and a few zip ties are handy to compress the vanes, you can snip them off as it goes in.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #15

City: Portmarnock
Vessel Name: Julia
Vessel Model: Van Lent 41
Hi
is the new impeller a generic one or one distributed by the pump manufacturer,
This can some times make a small difference
regards
Liam
liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

It was a Sherwood. And the mechanic that ended up doing the job used the same brand but had an additional installer tool somewhat like was described on this forum that made the install easy.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I bought a tool that you slide the impeller into and then push the impeller and tool into the pump. Then hold the impeller in place and pull the tool out. Works great. It is an aluminum sleeve with a funnel on one end to slide the impeller into the tool. I forget the name of the company, but it has been posted on this forum before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I think this is the impeller tool that you are talking about Dave...amazingly the link is to "Impeller Tool dot com". No relationship to the company. Found it when I had an impeller problem. Didn't buy one so not sure how good a product it is.

Impeller Installation Tool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
That is what I bought. No relationship to company, just a great product. My stbd engine would be almost impossible to change without it. ... With this tool, I can change the impeller with the pump in place in about 20 minutes.

Good to hear favorable reports. I bought one AFTER the last time I changed our starboard (inboard -- the easy one) impeller, but haven't used it yet.

Prior to the next change, I've had the yard change our port impeller, 'cause I can't get there from here. I'm hoping to be able to use the tool on the port engine, with me upside down and blind, next time.

And if it also helps me change the starboard impeller more easily -- the one I can actually see while working -- so much the better.

-Chris
Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Another vote for the impeller installation tool

It takes all of the pain out of changing impellers on Cummins/Sherwood pumps, and many others I'm sure. Andy, the owner is a pleasure to deal with.

Here is where to get it.

ImpellerTool.com
Andrew Pecherzewski
(310) 780-8543
andypz26@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #19

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSteve53 View Post
Some Silicon grease on the impeller it'self makes a big difference and a little on the shaft for easier removal next time , quite a few impeller suppliers include a little tube of silicon or other grease with the impeller, Yes the larger impellers can be a real struggle to fit, just to note when bending the rubber impeller vanes to pass the cam, be sure you bend in the correct direction of rotation other wise even though they do normally flip around, you can damage them, once started in the housing I often use a little gentle force in the prudent use of a rubber hammer,

Also be careful with the type of grease used as some impellers dont like various petroleum products although it usually is gone with in a few hours,

Cheers Steve
Another vote for using silicon grease. I've always used Dow Corning compound 4 and found it makes it easier to get the impellers on and back off when the time comes. That impeller tool looks fantastic.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
What is the cost of that tool?
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote