Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #61
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I'm 69 and first captained a diesel boat in the early 60s. I've never had a fuel problem. If you use high volumes of fuel, then the included additives in newly refined fuel will keep your tanks clean. But if your tanks sit, they will acquire water and organisms. Full tanks collect less unwanted water and organisms than near empty tanks. Cold climates collect less, but still collect. I use an additive every time I fuel.
I have a diesel PU that has a known injector problem with sludge buildups that cause misfiring. In solving the problem I came across Archoil 6200, a fuel modification complex. I also use AR9100 - a friction modifier. Now my injectors are beyond typical working life and operating fine. In addition, I get increased mileage, clean tanks, etc. I now use it in the boat and see better mileage, better winter starts, clean tanks, etc. If interested - archoil.com
Available on Amazon, Ebay and better fuel dealers.

Snake oil.

Keep your tanks clean and buy fuel from reputable (and busy) stations and no additives will be needed. Period.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #62
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I have not tried this but, a quart of cheap gin for every 200 gallons of diesel fuel. Should sop up all the water and will give a pleasant smell when you start your engines in your slip.
Or maybe some "golden grain" alcohol .... I think that is 200 proof alcohol.
Do not drink the left over 'golden grain' unless you have a desire to lie on the ground suffering unexplained 'seasickness', waking up with one hell of a headache and hangover. Another story from my years on nuclear powered submarines in the US Navy. CHUCKLE

Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #63
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
At least Marvel Mystery Oil is appropriately named.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #64
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I have not tried this but, a quart of cheap gin for every 200 gallons of diesel fuel. Should sop up all the water and will give a pleasant smell when you start your engines in your slip.
Or maybe some "golden grain" alcohol .... I think that is 200 proof alcohol.
Do not drink the left over 'golden grain' unless you have a desire to lie on the ground suffering unexplained 'seasickness', waking up with one hell of a headache and hangover. Another story from my years on nuclear powered submarines in the US Navy. CHUCKLE
Drink the gin and if you feel the need to polute your fuel use metho - it'll have the same result, good or bad.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #65
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
The increased fuel mileage claim is one that gets me.

If these miracle elixirs did actually work, wouldn't an oil company buy it and add it to their fuel?
They would instantly claim market share over their competitors who sell the less efficient product.
Additives don't last forever. Usually much less than a year. Some only a few weeks. Diesel has to be competitive with other refiners. Only additives for short term stability are used. The additive I use costs a few cents a gallon. I get it back in mileage. But most people wouldn't buy more expensive fuel with a promise of anything. We're too use to seeing the price at the pump without any thought of what extras may be in it. Does Chevron sell the most gas because of Techron? No most people go to the cheap gas station.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #66
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Additives don't last forever. Usually much less than a year. Some only a few weeks. Diesel has to be competitive with other refiners. Only additives for short term stability are used. The additive I use costs a few cents a gallon. I get it back in mileage. But most people wouldn't buy more expensive fuel with a promise of anything. We're too use to seeing the price at the pump without any thought of what extras may be in it. Does Chevron sell the most gas because of Techron? No most people go to the cheap gas station.

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Water cannot disappear. It has to go somewhere. It may be held in suspension and get picked up in the filters but if it makes its way to the engine, that is bad news for your fuel injection pump.

A much better option is a fuel tank with a drain valve. If the drain valve is at the bottom of a small sump, that's even better.
Even better is for the fuel line to come off from the bottom, so the constant removal of any contaminants keeps the tank clean anyway and is coped with easily by the primary filter and water trap. From which, I might add, like Brian of Insequent, who is in the same environment, I get next to nothing, even though theroetically I do all thewrong things by never having the tanks more than half full, and use the boat not that much, so it sits around for long periods. Never had a fuel issue. This really effective system, (in my view - also that of Nordhavn I might add), of having the fuel take off at the bottom of the tank, was more by accident that planning, but works so well, you wonder why they ever did it any different..?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #68
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
PeterB,
Isn’t that the way most boats are plumbed?
A vertical pick-up tube down to about 3/4” from the bottom.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #69
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
PeterB,
Isn’t that the way most boats are plumbed?
A vertical pick-up tube down to about 3/4” from the bottom.
That will always leave crud on the bottom which, when stirred up clogs the filters.

Pickup tube from that actual bottom sucks up the crud and runs it through filters for collection - continually.

Crud trap collects crud to be drained off so it doesn't see the filters
Actual fuel pick up an inch off bottom of tank is always seeing clean fuel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #70
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Pick up tubes are usually close to the tank bottom, but there is almost always a slight dead space.
When I fitted out my tanks, I installed pickup tubes about 1 cm off the bottom, as well as and outlet off the lowest corner of the tank which goes to the sight glass and drain. I can also divert this to feed the engine.

Having a sight glass feed from the lowest point will allow you to see the smallest trace of water when you check your fuel level.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #71
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Soltron - for 10 years I use it. I trust it. It works!

https://www.soltroniw.co.uk/

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...do-you-believe
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #72
FF
Guru

"Actual fuel pick up an inch off bottom of tank is always seeing clean fuel."

In better built fuel tanks there is a plate with multiple holes an inch or two above the bottom.

Fuel is picked up above the plate in the hope that water and goop will not flood above the plate as the boat rocks & rolls.

A low point drain is fitted , but if a tank with sump can be fitted, it is much safer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #73
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
My tank bottoms slope, following the hull contour. The in tank pickups pull the tanks to within less than 2" of tank bottom. Taking into account the sloped bottom, very little tank dead space exists.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #74
FF
Guru

"Taking into account the sloped bottom, very little tank dead space exists."

How is it be drained?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #75
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
How is it be drained?
At the sloped bottom of each tank there are two valves. One for the sight tubes and the other for a drain or crossover (which I never use).
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #76
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Quiet day and this 14+ page thread has entertainment value from post 1

ArCHOIL 6200 WOW
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...W!#Post3356100

Starts to get more informative around page 6

Add: read all that and a larger thread on a cummins forum and found no actual evidence that pouring several hundred dollars worth of miracle elixir into my tank will have an actual benefit.

I'll pour several hundred dollars worth of diesel in instead, at least I know I'll get a return on that.
You'd have a different opinion if you owned an early model Chevy Duramax pickup truck.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #77
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Then explain why those of us who dont use additives in our pleasure and comnercial vessels rarely if evey have problems?

Or is that only true for early Duramax trucks?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #78
FF
Guru

"Then explain why those of us who dont use additives in our pleasure and comnercial vessels rarely if evey have problems?"

If the turnover is rapid the changing levels of fuel do not allow the bug filled fuel water interface to stay long enough to coat the tank walls with dead bugs and bug poop.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #79
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Then explain why those of us who dont use additives in our pleasure and comnercial vessels rarely if evey have problems?

Or is that only true for early Duramax trucks?
On the nuclear powered sub, we had an emergency diesel. We would run it periodically and put it under a load.... for exercise. Neither I nor the Chief MM know we never took on fuel and doubt if the other crew took on fuel. I do not know if there were additives in the initial fill up but, there was plenty of fuel left onboard when it was decommissioned. Best guess, the fuel was at least 10 years old. I cannot remember any special filters nor separators associated with the diesel engine. I do know, my memory is fading or failing when it comes to the sub. I was an MM1 SS) and the Chief was a master chief MM.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #80
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Sure, additives for long term storage, extreme conditions or questionable fuel....

But that explains why normal boaters and commercial operators, using their fuel on a fairly regular basis, that dont use additives generally dont have issues in my and it seems like plenty of other's experience.

Using an additive and not having problems is not really proof the additive works. you might not like the vast majority of boaters around you.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote