Old 02-08-2022, 11:11 PM   #21

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1984 Ponderosa 48 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. (Dr.) H. The ONLY additive I have ever used is Bio-Bor for "bug" control. Our current boat is in FL.
This is what my mechanic suggested as well.
Flyguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Assume you mean diesel fuel additives. I use Stanadyne. Recommended by several diesel wonks who I respect.

Ditto plus Biobor.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #23
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
This is an interesting question.

So a quick google search yielded this as the first page of the search. And the answer was interesting: the bugs that form the sludge can be different, and different products do a good or not so good job depending on the specific bug in your tanks. Which leads to the recommendation at the end to switch up the products used during the course of a season to apply different cures to catch the different bugs. The piece is from 2009 and perhaps new chemistry changes the answer.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...ated-boat-fuel
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Thanks FWT. I like Practical Sailor and it's good info, but the focus of their testing was bug elimination. The additives that are bug killers were recommended where additives like Stanadyne that claim to improve performance and lubricity were not. Still valuable info, just not the total answer that I think we are looking for.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Thanks FWT. I like Practical Sailor and it's good info, but the focus of their testing was bug elimination. The additives that are bug killers were recommended where additives like Stanadyne that claim to improve performance and lubricity were not. Still valuable info, just not the total answer that I think we are looking for.
I think if you lose the water you lose the bugs, no? So if Standyne demulsifies water, allowing it to be drained off, isn’t that killing multiple birds with one rock?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBruce View Post
I'm in need of recommendations for a fuel additive to eliminate blue smoke at start up.

Bruce
Blue at startup used to be common. Over the years, as the tech changed, principally higher injection pressures, blue smoke has been eliminated. It isn't fuel related, so no additive will affect its production.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:08 PM   #27
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
So biobor alternating with star diesel and stanadyne or equivalent as the take home?

Appreciate the links from several posters.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
So biobor alternating with star diesel and stanadyne or equivalent as the take home?

I've been told by people that claim to know that Biobor is a treatment not unlike
a medication to treat an infection. There are side effects so use it only as needed.
According to Biobor's MSDS, it is a corrosive so overtreating should be avoided.

Stanadyne and the other similar additives are fuel conditioners that are intended
for regular ongoing use.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 AM   #29
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I've been using this biodiesel additive at the recommendation of my mechanic. Half the price of other additives and works just the same. 400 hours without a problem. Smells like french fries.
Attached Thumbnails
Mazola.jpg  
Old 02-10-2022, 07:00 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:

Hippo, where do you buy fuel and have you looked at ValvTect? They claim that their diesel is pre-treated and no additonal regular additives are needed although they did recommend an extra dose of BioGuard (similar to BioBor I think) for winter layup. Check their website if you haven't already. They also respond to emails.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #31
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
For the last decade outside the US. For the next inside the US. And yes a big Valvtect fan. Operating mode has changed. Big difference between having 200g divided into four 50g tanks and using 200g per 2-3000nm ( mostly genset for water and getting in/out) v current situation of 600g in two tanks and using 1g per mile. Find as much as I want to go 7-8kts I end up going 10-11kts for the joy of it. Thing rides nice even with the seakeeper off at that speed even in chop.
So need to change my mindset and practice. For the last decade would pick up complete fuel fill about twice a year with a top off before passages or long hops averaging 5-8000nm per year of total travel. Now expect 3-6000 nm per year with frequent fills. So time fuel is in the tanks will be a fraction of what it was. Could go months between fuel dock stops in the past. Now expect fill every few weeks.
Just heard from the yard. We had trouble with the genset from bad fuel but not the big Cummins. P.O. underutilized the boat. Had fuel removed. When tanks ‘scoped they looked good. Still yard refilled with turbulence to get any residual crude into suspension and polished. Yard believes tanks are now clean as is fuel. We shall see.
I started this thread wondering what I should do from this point forward. Really appreciate the links and knowledge. Didn’t know Biobor is caustic.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #32
Guru

Funny how 8 knts is so fast when sailing but so slow when motoring.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:21 AM   #33
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
(edit) Didn’t know Biobor is caustic.
Yes, the product MSDS warns of permanent eye damage, etc, so handle with care!
Old 02-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #34

City: Ann Arbor
additives

For those of you with Ford Lehmans, Bob Smith (the developer of the FL) said before he died, that these engines need no additives. I'll take it from the pro.
George
gbrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #35
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrides View Post
For those of you with Ford Lehmans, Bob Smith (the developer of the FL) said before he died, that these engines need no additives. I'll take it from the pro.

George
I've said it before and I will say it again, Bob Smith was a Lehman ENGINE expert. He was NOT a fuels expert. This is the same guy who recommended adding Marvel Mystery Oil to diesel fuel which, if I am not mistaken, is an additive. By the way, MMO is about the worst additive as it REDUCES the lubricity of diesel fuel. Fuel lubricity is critical to diesel engines, not the engines themselves, but to its injection pumps and injectors which will last longer using an additive that increases lubricity. How much longer I do not know.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #36
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
There is a mod to stop the Ford engines smoking on startup.
Its available from a company in England called Lancing Marine. The guy who owns the company started offshore racing those Fords and still supplies the engines (they are now made in Turkey).
BUT Caveat Emptor, I bought a new Borg Warner gearbox, engine mounts and oil cooler off him for a job I was doing and he ripped me off, so if you wish to get the modification be very clear and precise on cost and payment.
Unfortunately he's the only one who does this, you could try to get this through your local Ford Lehman agent and maybe get a better deal.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #37
Guru

Incidentally regarding fuel additives and their need.
When I modified my fuel tank I put a lever type drain tap (with blanking plug) at the very bottom of the sump on the diesel tank.
Every month as part of normal check ups I very slowly draw off a glass jar of fuel, if its clear I simply close the tap and insert the bung, if it has water I keep slowly draining until I get clear fuel.
I never use additives and I've never had diesel bug.
Our family business sometimes operate trucks to some destinations up into Sweden and Norway and Scania/Mercedes recommend using winter fuel of course but they allow you to add no more the 25% of either paraffin or petrol to stop the fuel waxing.
I often run my Perkins on bio diesel/paraffin mix and have only the tiniest wisp of smoke under heavy load..
Old 02-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Quack Shack
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
What's the mod called? Any idea what's involved?

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
There is a mod to stop the Ford engines smoking on startup.
Its available from a company in England called Lancing Marine.
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:45 AM   #39
Guru

Hi Penn Bruce.
If you go on their website www.lancingmarine.com once the page opens you can request technical information and they will give you the details you require. Once you have those you may get your local Ford Lehman dealer to modify your injector pump. A friend of mine had his done and is very happy with it.
The cheapest way to reduce smoke is to use 20% paraffin/diesel mix as the engine burns slightly hotter.
Another way to cut smoke is to secure your boat firmly to the jetty, start your engine and engage forward/reverse, take the revs to 900. This puts a very light load on the engine and helps it to warm up quicker, once the engine is warm there should be much less smoke as it will be hot enough to burn all the fuel in the chamber.

Marco Flamingo. Corn oil used to be very cheap in Europe at half the price of diesel, I filled my boat (Perkins 4236) with 500 gallons of 75% rapeseed oil/25% paraffin mix and cruised it across the Irish sea from Southern Ireland to Milford haven in Wales with no problems at all.
Taxi drivers in Berlin ran their Merc taxis on it for years and many commercial truck operators began to use it. The EU got to hear about it and doubled the price to bring it in line with diesel as they were losing so much tax revenue.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:06 AM   #40
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Hi Penn Bruce.
If you go on their website www.lancingmarine.com once the page opens you can request technical information and they will give you the details you require. Once you have those you may get your local Ford Lehman dealer to modify your injector pump. A friend of mine had his done and is very happy with it.
The cheapest way to reduce smoke is to use 20% paraffin/diesel mix as the engine burns slightly hotter.
Another way to cut smoke is to secure your boat firmly to the jetty, start your engine and engage forward/reverse, take the revs to 900. This puts a very light load on the engine and helps it to warm up quicker, once the engine is warm there should be much less smoke as it will be hot enough to burn all the fuel in the chamber.

Marco Flamingo. Corn oil used to be very cheap in Europe at half the price of diesel, I filled my boat (Perkins 4236) with 500 gallons of 75% rapeseed oil/25% paraffin mix and cruised it across the Irish sea from Southern Ireland to Milford haven in Wales with no problems at all.
Taxi drivers in Berlin ran their Merc taxis on it for years and many commercial truck operators began to use it. The EU got to hear about it and doubled the price to bring it in line with diesel as they were losing so much tax revenue.
Why, oh why would anyone care about a bit of smoke on the start-up oh Lehman engines? It goes away in just a minute or two. Is there ever an end to what minutia boaters will angst over? Start the engines, put it in gear and go boating.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote