Adding flybridge station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarradeen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yarradeen
Vessel Make
Harriscraft 48
Fellows

I am adding a extra steering position and instead of running hydraulic lines am am leaning towards using a jog stick (from what i understand). I have a Saura autopilot with steering solenoid. I hope to be able to connect jog stick to this control unit along with the autopilot.

Has anyone any experience in this area. Is it possible to connect both AP and a job stick to a single control unit. Is there back feeding issues? Do i need to isolate the inputs with an A B type switch?

Thanks

I strongly believe that any boat steering should be positive, mechanical cable or hydraulic, and not electric. Electrics fail many times more often than mechanical and I wouldn't want to be in a bad situation on the upper helm with no steering.

Aircraft do this (fly by wire) and some automobiles, but the electronic boat systems are not robust enough IMO.

David

Jog levers are used all the time on commercial boats, standard equipment. Many of these operators never touch the hand wheel. A switch should be installed to isolate the jogs when the A/P is in use. Some pilots have a clutch output which can be used to operate an interlock relay. The piggyback circuits will not hurt the A/P but you don't want the possibility of energizing port and stb solenoids at the same time. Of course you want this done by someone with an understanding of it, as incorrect wiring could damage the pilot.

"This post is not intended to contain the complete solution to any particular issue"

Back
Top Bottom