AdBlue Shortage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Why is there a shortage of this exhaust additive,introduced at the catalytic converter as I understand it, when there was not? Short supply of its principal constituent,urea, originating from China, is the stated cause.
Heavy vehicles here rely on it to clean up diesel exhaust, some diesel cars too. Lots of diesel cars in Europe, less so here, and I think, in USA.
I`ve not heard of our diesel boats using it, they`re mostly not discharging exhaust gases into the atmosphere I guess, but that doesn`t go for dry stack boats. Is it affecting pleasure, or commercial boats? No complaint of that in OZ so far, that I`ve heard.

I don't think SCR catalysts using DEF are even remotely common on boats at this point. Implementing them in a marine environment is a challenge and the different usage / loading patterns of a typical marine engine might impact their effectiveness as well.

DEF which is a 60% urea solution which is made from ammonia which is made oddly enough from coal or natural gas is mostly made in China. China has cut back on coal usage for chemical production, so it is now scarce.

I don't know why DEF isn't required on marine diesels. Maybe the marine industry has a better lobbyist.

David

Back
Top Bottom