46 Sea Ranger vs 45 Carver Californian-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Sarasota

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking for opinions.

Want to buy a boat for a possible loop trip and east coast travel.

1988 46' Sea Ranger w/ Cummins 6BT 5.9- 210 HP .engines w/7100 hrs
vs
1990 45' Californian w/ cat 3208 turbo 350 HP w/ 3200 hrs.
Claims 7- 10 knots max. 6 gph 1450

Sea Ranger is much better equipped but 20K more.

Californian claims to get 5 gph at 9 kts. 1200 RPMs.
20 Knots max

I am wondering if larger engines are an issue since we will slow cruising most the time. Worried about turbos and not sure I believe the GPH claims.

Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome aboard. I would be looking to see which boat is in better condition and fits your needs the best. I much prefer the Cummins engine but it does have quite a few hours on it. So that shows that the boat has been used so that is better than just sitting. The Cat 3208 is a good engine in the natural version. When it has been turboed and aftercooled it can shorten the life depending on how it has been run, which is an unknown. Good luck with your search.

I prefer inline engines as they have fewer parts and systems. One exhaust simple intake, etc. Overall easier to work on because nothing is buried under the intake manifold.

Thanks for the input.
A couple has been living aboard the Sea Ranger for the last 7 yrs. Seems much better equipped. The turbo guy says it's nice to have the power there when you need it. Not sure how often I need it. I'm thinking 8 or 9 kts is more common in the ICW. Can a good mechanic really tell how much engine life is left?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom