3208 shuts down at low idle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
My long trip home (CT to WI) is almost in sight. I'm probably 80% there. I think I can see Racine from my flybridge!
Earlier when I picked up the boat and was getting driving lessons the port engine just died a couple times. This was always at low idle usually when shifting. I just hit the starter button and it always started back up. Some/many days go by and no problems. I should have looked into it but......Last time it happens I can't start it. Long story short is a mech cracked open a few injector lines and we bled out some air. We also used the priming pump. Engine started.
Where might the air be getting in?
Before you ask, yes I have a full tank of fuel. Nothing in the water separator that I can see and not pulling any vacuum. I do have the dual filter set up on each engine.
So before I start out again I decided to change the secondary fuel filter figuring maybe it is sucking air but when I spun it off it was full of fuel. I tried tightening the bolts on the primer and was able to get a very slight turn on a bolt. Probably less than 150 hours at the time I changed it. After priming it with the pump the engine fired up right away.
But I still wonder if it will die on me at the most inopportune time when docking.
Could I have 2 different problems - #1 is it dying at low idle one # 2 was air in the fuel line.
Currently holding in Rogers City MI hoping to end this maiden voyage soon.
Your comments appreciated.

The lift pump is what creates the suction and therefore the opportunity for air to enter the lines. Start from the lift pump and work your way backwards towards the tank(s), checking all connections. If the primary filter is dirty, the vacuum is stronger and more likely to defeat a bad connection. Look for hoses that are splitting at the ends.

As above but also SNUG every clamp. All hoses take a set, shrink, over time which can allow leakage of air although not fuel.
Don,t crank the hose hard, just a firm snugglng.
Look for any sign of fuel wetness , drips, of course.
Get and use Scot blue paper shop towels which show a distinct colour change
When wetted that a white won,t do and use it to wipe connections as you proceed.

Thanks guys. The admiral went out and got some Scot blues - good idea. But I don't have the clamped fuel lines but rather the pressure type threaded fittings. I did check for any one that was loose but they all seemed tight. At this point I think I have to travel another leg of my journey and hope for the best.

"Where might the air be getting in?"

Always the key question, the simplest solution is to pressurize the fuel line ,tie strips of paper towels at every fitting and wait a while.

The simplest method of pressurizing the fuel system is an outboard squeeze bulb, mounted as close to the fuel tank as you can.

Good hunting,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom