3208 oil leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbnunn

Vessel Name
BIRDIE
Vessel Make
President 52
After 2 years not able to visit (Corona) our President 52 with twin 375 hp engines we find engine oil in the bilge with some water. Am i right in guessing a head gasket failure is the problem?
We live in The Netherlands and BIRDIE is in marina in s
Spain and the marina staff have carried each year lift out for anti fouling, anodes etc. The travel hoist and service area on the hard is within the large marina and the engines must be used, maybe a test run at sea was also done.
The local engineer is scheduled to come and inspect in the next day or too.
Any suggestions and time cost to repair would be much appreciated.

My experience with head gasket failures though not 3208 specific is I've found coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. In one case coolant filled a cylinder or cylinders and hydrolocked the engine.

Seems like you are jumping to the worst case scenario first. There can be many reasons for both oil and water (or coolant) to be in the bilge. Could be only sloppy maintenance by the yard.
Hoping for your sake that it's an easy fix.

A head gasket on a 3208 is certainly possible, but that’s not where to start. Also, you would need to know a lot more than just “oil in the bilge”. I know, you said it was remote and they probably did not elaborate on the first report.

For a head gasket, you would look under the heads and look for telltale dripping along the block, it was pretty obvious on mine. Other sources are the breather, a sloppy oil change or dripping oil filter not fully tightened properly or left the gasket from the old filter on, or the remote mount oil filter hoses where they mount to the oil cooler.

A head gasket is not a death sentence for a 3208, but will usually have a couple days of labor involved and often a couple guys since they are not always easy to handle alone in a small space.

Try to relax. Don’t make worst case scenario plans. Do a proper diagnosis. Breathe. Then decide the path forward. Many times the issue is not at all the worst case scenario. Don’t cheat yourself out of doing the diagnosis first!

Rub you hands on the bottom of oil pans. Common for them to rust and get pinholes.

Also head gasket is not a common oil leak source on these. Oil is only up there with engine running, and does not sound like it has run much. Pan can leak just sitting.

Oil level still good on dipstick?

Many thx all replies,
Mystery for local engineer , also does not think head gasket.
Will return next week and run engines with continuous close inspection.
Main concern right now is to clear the oil from the bilge to prevent Marina contamination.
Watch this space I will give progress reports ?

The Breather modules on the valve covers can leak if the diaphragm ruptures. Not an uncommon problem. And thankfully cheap to repair

"Main concern right now is to clear the oil from the bilge to prevent Marina contamination."

Turn off the bilge pumps, dump a gallon Simple Green in the bilge and go for a ride on a bumpy day.

Turn the bilge pump on after an hour or so.

Seems like you are jumping to the worst case scenario first. There can be many reasons for both oil and water (or coolant) to be in the bilge. Could be only sloppy maintenance by the yard.
Hoping for your sake that it's an easy fix.

X2
Sometimes you have to get down there with a very bright flashlight and a roll of paper towels and track down the leak(s). Finding them is the easy part. Fixing the leak can be easy or difficult.

Back
Top Bottom