1979 Marine Trader driveshaft tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memorymaker

We just purchased a 1979 Marine Trader trawler and we removed the driveshaft to have it reworked, my fiancé noticed that the tube that the driveshaft sits in is completely worn through, our question is do we just remove the 4 screws to get it out and approximately how long is it? Can it be reworked or will we have to purchase a new one?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ms. M. Welcome aboard. Um...What 4 screws. There IS some variation with shaft tube installation between various Taiwanese vessels.

It is probably fiberglassed in place. Getting it out will be big task. You will probably end up cutting it out and reglassing a new one in place.

pete

My boat was older and 1973 with a single. The tube is threaded on both to the Cutlass bearing fixture and also to the packing plant fixture. I unbolt it the piece that holds the Cutlass bearing and unscrewed it. And then unscrewed the tube from the packing glan. Yes there was ballast roughly resined on the tube. Was not completely buried but it did take a hammer and a chisel to free

I'm faced with the same problem as have others in this forum. I may try to put a stainless or plastic tube inside mine rather than remove the old tube. My propshaft is 1.5" and the ID of the shaft tube is 2", so I might get away with it.

My boat was older and 1973 with a single. The tube is threaded on both to the Cutlass bearing fixture and also to the packing plant fixture. I unbolt it the piece that holds the Cutlass bearing and unscrewed it. And then unscrewed the tube from the packing glan. Yes there was ballast roughly resined on the tube. Was not completely buried but it did take a hammer and a chisel to free

Thank you for the reply. I understand the tube being screwed in but how did you unscrew it? Were you down below? What did you replace it with?

The boat was out of the water, I removed the two bolts from the Cutlass bearing carrier and simply unscrewed it with a pipe wrench from outside the boat

Back
Top Bottom