1977 Marine trader questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vandeusen

Hello everyone I am new to the trawler world I am coming out of a 1979 Silverton 34C twin engine 350 crusaders to my new experiment a 1977 Marine trader single engine Ford Lehman 120

My question in general discussion is going to be about the Marine trader of course, what I'm interested in knowing are things related to navigation fuel and cosmetics so to start my first question would be

Since the trawletr has a single diesel motor and it is in as tip top shape as I can get it what do other voters use as a backup? How far have you taken the boat out or you didn't have to worry about the fact that it's a single motor? Is it worth getting some kind of a sale to put on the mast boom that I have to at least have an emergency backup plan? Or what did you do? Thank you for your time guys I look forward to a long discussion in this form

A plan (membership) with an assistance towing company and a well sorted ground tackle (anchor, rode, windlass, etc) are the most straightforward solutions to providing peace of mind. These are a good idea for any boater but will help especially with your concerns about a single failure point. If you have faith in your anchor's ability to hold you in place for any probably destination or route you are headed, it will reduce the urgency of losing power. There is always the concern of losing power in a highly trafficked commercial shipping area, but you can mitigate this in many cases by staying to the edge of the channel, which you should be doing anyway.

Ask your boating neighbors about which tow company has the best coverage for your area and get a plan with them. Tow Boat US or Seatow are the the most common as far as I know.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Buy tow insurance as a backup.

Yeah I have both us and I have their full package also my insurance progressive covers me for hurricane haul out and breakdowns as long as I'm within 75 nautical miles of land it would be interesting to know if anyone's taking their trawler beyond the Bahamas because that's kind of what I would like to do

We currently travel the Great loop in my Silverton currently we are in Oriental North Carolina and we're out of Memphis for our home Port we have been traveling successfully since September now we're going to stay put here in Oriental until March 1st plus or minus to continue to do the Great loop but in the trawler now instead of the Silverton

I've had to endure a couple of breakdowns along the way and boat US was helpful however having one engine go down and still having another engine I can manage to somewhat still steer the Silverton to get where I'm going but that won't be the case with the trawler so I'm kind of having to figure out how to deal with an engine malfunction and still get to the closest harbor, port, marina without assistance would be nice.

Hello everyone I am new to the trawler world I am coming out of a 1979 Silverton 34C twin engine 350 crusaders to my new experiment a 1977 Marine trader single engine Ford Lehman 120

My question in general discussion is going to be about the Marine trader of course, what I'm interested in knowing are things related to navigation fuel and cosmetics so to start my first question would be

Since the trawletr has a single diesel motor and it is in as tip top shape as I can get it what do other voters use as a backup? How far have you taken the boat out or you didn't have to worry about the fact that it's a single motor? Is it worth getting some kind of a sale to put on the mast boom that I have to at least have an emergency backup plan? Or what did you do? Thank you for your time guys I look forward to a long discussion in this form

It all depends on how handy you are. Are you a "Roll-up-yer sleeves" kind of guy or are you a "turn-the-key" kind of guy that relies on mechanics to do all the work?

Diesels are very reliable provided they are looked after and maintained properly. They are designed to be worked on with basic tools.

A single engine trawler miles out in the middle of the ocean has to be reliable and serviceable while its out there and something goes wrong. An engine that is prone to frequent breakdowns and is hard to work on would never even be installed in a single engine boat.

So... If you are handy and don't mind yanking a wrench, then:

• Get intimate with your motor.
  • Know it inside and out.
  • Download the manuals and print them out. Have a copy on the boat.
  • Follow all maintenance schedules
  • Keep spares of most common weardown/breakdown parts
  • You can also have the engine surveyed to get a second opinion on the state of the major components.

It does not have hurt to have a back-up plan like sea-tow, but you will minimise the risk if you keep your engine in tip-top shape

Last edited:
I'm 100% service connected wartime vet I am disabled but I have no problems picking up a wrench and trying my hardest to fix something if I can if I can do something myself yeah, there would be no mechanic! I already been ripped off with them enough to know learn how to fix your own boat!

With that said, the seller is a marine and I'm picking up the trawler tomorrow from a Marine Base Marina there really isn't a surveyor option but for the price that I'm paying for it.. it's worth the Gamble. But the boat runs, in excellent condition.

For the next 2 months I'm going to be sitting at the marina doing everything I possibly can to make sure the boat is in the best condition it can possibly be in before I sail off on March 1st I'm just trying to figure out options of moving the boat when the engine fails without calling boat us. Don't get me wrong I'll call him if I have to and then my insurance company NeXT but if I could figure it out on my own I will

When I take delivery of her tomorrow it will take me 2 days to get it back to the marina I'm at as long as I can make it there I'm good because the next time it leaves here it'll be right

I just purchased the same vessel, my safety plan includes making sure my fuel delivery system and cooling system are completely serviced.

Ground tackle that can be deployed quickly, dingy with an outboard, and Sea tow.

Hopefully I'd be able to diagnose get back underway myself.

I did come across a 36 foot trawler that had a 30hp outboard mounted on the transom with a bracket that raised and lowered with the controls in the cockpit. It was used for trolling but could serve as a get home engine.

For any single engine trawler, the best "get home" solution will be external to your boat, either an assistance towing contract or your own adequately powered dinghy, tied tightly to your hip. If you want 5 knots, that will take the same hp as if your main engine is powering you at 5 knots, so for a 40' trawler, likely a minimum of 25 hp. No sail of the size possible on a trawler will get you that anywhere close to that hp, and a sail on your own mast will not be in the right place on the boat for propulsion. It would need to be much bigger, further forward and much more adjustable. Your hull has the wrong kind of keel for sailing, so there can never be an adequate sail solution.

Outboard seems like a good idea, I even thought get a 108in trolling motor.. seen that B4.

Good points, so it's strictly used for raising and lowering dingy type of mast...I do have a dingy with gas motor and gas onboard to keep gas in it if it's a few miles out to land....hopefully never have to use it unless I'm moored..

Also I do have both us but I do not have sea tow since I've used both us two times already this year I would hate to give them a call should something happen on my way back with the trawler so I'm going to get see-tow today so that something should happen tomorrow I don't piss both us off LOL

If somebody wants to referral bonus give me your referral bonus in the next 2 hours and I will use it when I get seatow so that you can benefit from the referral

I'm 100% service connected wartime vet I am disabled but I have no problems picking up a wrench and trying my hardest to fix something if I can if I can do something myself yeah, there would be no mechanic! I already been ripped off with them enough to know learn how to fix your own boat!

With that said, the seller is a marine and I'm picking up the trawler tomorrow from a Marine Base Marina there really isn't a surveyor option but for the price that I'm paying for it.. it's worth the Gamble. But the boat runs, in excellent condition.

For the next 2 months I'm going to be sitting at the marina doing everything I possibly can to make sure the boat is in the best condition it can possibly be in before I sail off on March 1st I'm just trying to figure out options of moving the boat when the engine fails without calling boat us. Don't get me wrong I'll call him if I have to and then my insurance company NeXT but if I could figure it out on my own I will

When I take delivery of her tomorrow it will take me 2 days to get it back to the marina I'm at as long as I can make it there I'm good because the next time it leaves here it'll be right

Excellent.
Sounds like the boat will have good reliability from the start. I guess all you will have to do is keep it in that condition.
Looking forward to hearing more from you as you bring the boat home. I am hoping in a few days you come on here and tell us the engine ran like a swiss watch!! :)

Me too! Has anyone been beyond the Bahamas as far as nautical miles so it could have been in any direction of course but distance wise

I would love to learn how far people have taken their single engine trawlers out to sea

"I would love to learn how far people have taken their single engine trawlers out to sea"

Most ships are single engine.

If the engine is in good shape I would be most concerned with having clean fuel. Perhaps a day tank.

Me too! Has anyone been beyond the Bahamas as far as nautical miles so it could have been in any direction of course but distance wise

For offshore passages, especially longer stretches like those encountered beyond the Bahamas, you are better served by a sailboat. Per dollar, the seaworthiness and range of a sailboat will beat out a trawler of equal value every time. The marine trader is a great coastal cruiser and perfectly suited for completing the Great loop but it is not the type of boat to venture far offshore with, not because of it's engine but due to the hull design and lack of stabilization. A well sorted offshore capable trawler could do what you want but a turn key vessel of this sort is an extensive investment.

I really don't mean this as any disrespect to your current boat, I feel the same about my boat, it is a semi-displacement boat intended for coastal or inland use, sure, it is possible but you would be fighting an uphill battle to push that style of boat into such use.

It sounds like you could very easily complete the loop in the MT, sell it for a profit and buy a very well suited sailing mono-hull for venturing to the Caribbean.

Thank you for your service.

I will be there tomorrow at 1:00 I will have my mechanic with me but he will be driving back and I will be sailing back taking the wife with me sometimes she's good at giving me ideas I didn't think of in a situation

Max1 has the right idea. Get to know your engine, feed it clean fuel and watch temps etc.

If your engine quits... likely because of dirty fuel (and that could be in the tank bottom, stirred up by waves, or poor filtering. A second reason would be a failed impeller... but boat can be minimized with proper planning.

I wouldn't buy tow insurance. If needed I just write the check. Used them ONCE with 21 different boats, diesel, gas, singles, twins over the past 40+ years.

The vast majority of us operate year after year without an engine failure. Now, with the old gasses, all the time.... so get two.

The only time we ever lost a motor in our current twin engine power cruisers, we lost both of them. It was a tank of bad fuel and at first just one surged and then quit.

And, I said, "I sure am glad we have two engines, now I don't have to mess around with changing fuel filters out here in three foot seas."

Ten minutes later, the other one surged and stopped. :D

I have a 1980 Marine Trader 41 single engine

Everybody freaking out over having a single engine is a little over the top. A couple of things I did.

1. I installed a dual Racor filter arrangement, so if one filter was clogged I could switch over to the other filter while underway.

2. I redid the fuel supply from the tank to the fuel pump. Eliminating several unnecessary connections.

Just because you don't have a an extra backup engine, it isn't the end of the world. Keep your fuel clean, maintain your engine. By the way the Ford Lehman 120hp is legendary with its reliability and simplicity.

On the web vlog Travels with Geordie there is an excellent description of an enhanced fuel system. Well worth the view.

I agree, with a single engine, just install a Racor duel filter system where you can switch over to a clean filter with the turn of a knob.

That will solve 95 per cent of the reasons a diesel marine engine stops running.

Van, group9 advice is good. It's usually all the stuff around the motor that causes problems: dirty fuel, water pumps, belts, alternators, hose clamps, clogged heat exchangers. Get that stuff solid and that Lehman will never stop turning until you shut it off.

I would love to learn how far people have taken their single engine trawlers out to sea
I think you're over-thinking this thing. Just consider that like FF said, many cargo ships that ply the oceans are single engined, as are most deep sea fishing trawlers. Just sayin'... :)

The only time we ever lost a motor in our current twin engine power cruisers, we lost both of them. It was a tank of bad fuel and at first just one surged and then quit.

And, I said, "I sure am glad we have two engines, now I don't have to mess around with changing fuel filters out here in three foot seas."

Ten minutes later, the other one surged and stopped. :D

Any chance you added fuel to both tanks? I have lately kept both tanks near 1/2 and when I add, I do so into one tank and let crossover level off. That pushes fuel from bottom, not newly added. So if one engine was fouled, both would not as you would then isolate the tanks. IMO

Any chance you added fuel to both tanks? I have lately kept both tanks near 1/2 and when I add, I do so into one tank and let crossover level off. That pushes fuel from bottom, not newly added. So if one engine was fouled, both would not as you would then isolate the tanks. IMO

Unless there was water in the newly added fuel . . . water being heavier than fuel, it will go straight to the bottom . .:eek: . . and then when you open the cross feed, you will "share" the water between both tanks . . :eek:. . so BOTH tanks will now have water contaminated fuel in them . . . . so you will shortly have a contaminated fuel, dual engine failure . . . Just sayin' :whistling::popcorn:

Vandeusen,

First off, Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info to be had here.
Take to heart the comments regarding clean fuel! Properly maintained, quality diesel engines, with clean fuel, clean air, and clean oil, will pretty much run forever.
Our boat is also a single engine, but we are blessed to have a backup engine that can be coupled to the main shaft for "get home" capability in a pinch. Does nothing to help us if we have a shaft problem, but will help if the main engine goes down.

In your case, barring using Sea Tow or similar, your only real option is to use an outboard, either on a dingy, or mounted to the transom if you have a not repairable at sea main engine problem. The problem with the "at sea" part is that I see is fuel capacity, since most readily available outboards run on gasoline, not diesel.

How much gasoline do you feel comfortable storing on board your diesel powered boat? Your outboard is going to use a lot more fuel/mile than the diesel engine due to efficiency of the fuel, and off center thrust.

Is the storage safe? If you put it below decks, you now open your entire boat up to having to comply with the safety requirements of a gasoline powered boat, ie; bilge blowers, all electric appliances/switches/motors/relays, etc, must now be certified for use in an explosive gas environment.

Storing above deck presents different problems, such as where to put, it being unsightly, and open to risk of theft, off gassing in the sunlight (the smoking lamp best be out all the time, and that includes grilling IMHO if you use outside storage)

Plus you must have a plan to rotate your gasoline stores out on a regular basis so you don't end up with phase separation (if using ethanol laced fuel), or just going stale with non ethanol fuel. I doubt normal dingy usage will burn through enough of your gasoline supply to rotate the fuel on the necessary basis. That's one of the beauties of using diesel as a primary fuel.
Not meaning to put a damp towel over your plans, but all the angles need to be considered.

Please let us know how your delivery trip back to home base goes. What Marine base are you picking the boat up at?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom