Wireless kill switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lab could swim but hated it. He would sooner dig his claws into me and use me as a float.

There are many cases of panicked swimmers drowning well intentioned rescuers. I don't see why large animals would be any different.

Back on track, even if there are others in board, I'd see an immediate/quick alert of a MOB as a good thing rather than relying on the incident being seen and relayed by others. For solo sailors, it would be a life saver. Even swimming a mile to a stopped vessel Is better than watching your vessel continue to follow it's auto pilot.

Following . . . question though. If, among other thing, the MOB system shuts the engine off when the wearer of the pendant goes a certain distance away, or signal is lost, is there an override to allow someone still on the boat to restart the engine? If not, all they can do is watch you drift farther away from the boat, and the boat is now no longer able to move . . . .

I assume there has GOT to be a way, perhaps just turning off an onboard alarm will allow the engine to be restarted, allowing the boat to return (slowly) to pick up the person who went overboard.

Websites I've looked at are high on"flash", but very low on details. Guess you have to buy it to see what it is you bought.:whistling:

yeah, great points.... I can imagine a lost signal, low battery, interference from a UFO, whatever... causing an unwanted shutdown...at a very inopportune time...maneuvering in a crowded marina inches away form a billion dollar super yacht for example.....
It happened to me once in a small boat (not the billion dollar yacht part) one of the few times I'd clipped into the string lanyard... tried to step to the center of the boat for some reason and stretched a bit too far forgetting about the string.....had to really scramble to figure out what happened and get restarted

Following . . . question though. If, among other thing, the MOB system shuts the engine off when the wearer of the pendant goes a certain distance away, or signal is lost, is there an override to allow someone still on the boat to restart the engine? If not, all they can do is watch you drift farther away from the boat, and the boat is now no longer able to move . . . .

I assume there has GOT to be a way, perhaps just turning off an onboard alarm will allow the engine to be restarted, allowing the boat to return (slowly) to pick up the person who went overboard.

Websites I've looked at are high on"flash", but very low on details. Guess you have to buy it to see what it is you bought.:whistling:

I have a Fell MOB system on my center console. If the MOB alarm is activated due to wrist band submersion or distance from the base it shuts down the engines. After 6 seconds the system automatically goes into Override Mode which means anyone can restart the engines.

There are many cases of panicked swimmers drowning well intentioned rescuers. I don't see why large animals would be any different.

I have two separate war stories from my working days of dogs presumably unintentionally drowning their owners. It took a bit of sleuthing after the fact since both were unwitnessed (by other humans) but in the end the clues were obvious enough. Alcohol intoxication in the victims did not help. Last weekend while swimming at a local lake I watched our springer spaniel adult-sized puppy climb to the top of my son’s head - much to his displeasure about the resulting scratches. Fortunately he was in only five feet of water.

I have a story from a friend whose boat sank off the Oregon coast. Coast Guard was on the way. All he had to do was keep his dog from climbing on him and puncturing his PFD. Ended up killing his dog with his bare hands. One of the downsides to having a dog onboard.

I have a story from a friend whose boat sank off the Oregon coast. Coast Guard was on the way. All he had to do was keep his dog from climbing on him and puncturing his PFD. Ended up killing his dog with his bare hands. One of the downsides to having a dog onboard.

First time I have heard of one killing a dog in a water survival situation...and been around a lot of those kind of stories.

Bet you could find one or more where a dog saved someones life if it ever got written about (of maybe someone has heard of an instance).

People can do the same thing....

also downside to inflatable PFD.

and why wasn't the dog wearing a PFD?

Back
Top Bottom