When does a solo skipper sleep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, welcome.

I expect to be a solo skipper alone on my boat. If the water I find myself in is too deep to drop anchor, and I'm tired and need sleep, how do I keep from drifting aimlessly for 8 hours.

There's been quite a bit of discussion above about offshore passages (which I love, so nothing against them), but I'm wondering if you are asking about being "inshore" and maybe just running out of daylight.

Are you planning to get an offshore capable powerboat? If so, let us know. If not, then my thought is let's back up slightly.

Coastal or inshore cruising is all about planning. You spend time first thinking on a high level and working backwards (eg are there seasons I don't want to be in this area, is the river in flood at this time of year, etc.).

Once you have got past that and you are into your day to day boating, the planning doesn't stop. It's every day. What is the weather? What is happening with aids to navigation? How about locks or bridges? What about tides/currents/wind? Where are a few places I could stop for the night and when do I need to get underway taking all of the above in consideration? (Coastal/inshore actually takes more planning in a way.)

Based on all of the above, it's not like you're going to head out in the morning and then all of a sudden "Gee, what do you know, it's getting dark and here I am, and gosh it's too deep to anchor, what a surprise." You've already known all day (and you continue to plan/assess as you go), what your options are, your first choice plan, your second choice plan, and maybe a couple of boltholes just in case. Because when underway (especially solo) you are constantly checking everything: Charts, weather, out the window, gauges, other traffic, daylight, wind, progress, tides, etc.

In the morning, even though you checked it all the night before, you double check the weather, have a look at your plans, get some food and beverage ready, and think about the sequence of how you are going to pull anchor or get away from the dock.

So, in summary, although it's not like you would never find yourself figuring something out in the dark (you could have a long wait for a lock and it gets dark, etc.), it's not something that is just going to "happen" randomly.

If you do plan to go offshore, then that's a different animal, starting with the boat you choose and outfit. Maybe you could let us know if that is your plan. In some ways, that changes everything (it's still boating, but requires "more" boat, and some different thoughts).

Last edited:
It is astonishingly easy to find a friend or even a guy hanging around the marina who for food and airfare home will jump at the chance for a 3-5 day offshore trip. They don't need much experience as you just need them during the 6 hours out of 24 that you need sleep. Leave them with instructions to wake you if anything happens - it rarely does.

And there's an excellent middle ground. Leave at dawn, go all night, and put in the following afternoon. Maybe take a catnap along the way or just stay up. Depending on boat speed you can cover a lot of miles. It takes me three of these hops to get from the Bahamas to New England.

Better, when you have a reliable weather forecast for the whole trip. The most important thing about offshore is to have a good weather.. When it's nice, it's a joyous, restful trip with gorgeous stars each night. When it's bad, it's really bad. I will wait weeks for the right weather even when I have crew.

Moving my new to me Nordhavn from Dana Point, CA to Bayfield, WI was done 24/7 for 63 days, although that includes waiting 4 days to get onto the Panama Canal, and a 14 day break about half way through.

Wow, that sounds like a helluva trip! My wife used to live in Bayfield (and Herbster). We have toyed with the idea of someday making the same trip, albeit starting from a bit further north than Dana Point.

When does a solo skipper sleep

I want to echo the comments Hippocampus made, and add one. I am definitely not brave enough to do a solo ocean crossing, although obviously some do, and arrive safely. But my experience is that a 600-ft cargo or tanker ship moving at 18 knots closes amazingly fast, and you want to avoid getting closer than 3-5 miles, more if you can. Most of them will never see you, so you can't afford to nod off.
The other issue, for me at least, is that you can set an autopilot, AIS and radar alarms, and nod off, but sometimes even with the best weather data, the wind, or the seas, or both, shift unexpectedly, and what had been a comfortable passage turns into something completely different. Getting woken up by being tossed out of your bunk, and having to deal with an emergency situation before you have fully woken up, is not a recipe for success.
On the other hand, a passage with a couple of good friends, to share watches, meals and the sea with, can be the best experience you've ever had.

One can argue a savy skipper has a plan that neither is solidly 100% certain that depends on the lookout abilities of either a solo skipper or any other singular person on watch.

The best or the best fall asleep when fatigued.

Any watch stander can be distracted from a solid watch for multiple reasons.

Most people I know I wouldn't absolutely trust my life to.... and I have know those that I would.

So it is possible to have a routine that a solo skipper can follow (still less than perfect...but) that may have a safer reliable track than allowing "others" to just take a watch with so many variables.

A bit of a hi-jack of the thread

First, Nancy and I did the multi-day passages on our sloop with loose 4-hour shifts. Whoever was in the cockpit had a 15 minute timer in case sleep snuck up.

Now that we are on a trawler I started wondering about using our sea-anchor offshore for rest periods and asked on a trawler forum what the proper lights were when sea-anchoring. I'd assumed all-around red over red, or possibly just an all-around white anchor light.

Since we'd see a lot of sport and commercial fishing boats 'sleeping' out in the open we assumed there had to be a legal way to do it.

In the discussion that ensued it became clear that red over red is only for extreme situations (don't remember the exact terminology) and can not legitimately be used just to sea-anchor overnight. It was claimed that a regular all-around anchor light was not acceptable as you aren't technically anchored, but I don't know if that is strictly true.

Peter is right that you would not want to do it in a lot of places due to swells, but there definitely are places where it would work. As for lighted boats everywhere, we were adrift (becalmed, on watch) in the bay between El Salvador and Nicaragua one night when we suddenly realized there was a fishing boat right next to us because we could smell the cigarette smoke. We lucked out that we drifted past each other because there was no way to safely start the engine without risking getting the prop caught in his nets. We had our nav and cabin lights on so we didn't even spot the glow from the cigarette until we started looking for it.

The bottom line is that I am really surprised there isn't a legal way to sea-anchor.

-Sven

Personally I see red over red as the best (as far as I can tell)....plus regular running lights.

You are underway and unable to comply with the COLREGS.

INTERNATIONAL— Lights and ShapesRULE 27 Vessels Not Under Command or Restricted in Their Ability to Maneuver (a) A vessel not under command shall exhibit: (i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen; (ii) two balls or similar shapes in a vertical line where they can best beseen; (iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

While explanations lean towards "unusual circumstance"...what is more unusual than not keeping a proper lookout, the inability to manuever (crew is asleep), and the inability to signal?

I always take heat on this one...but no one ever has a really good answer other than what they were taught in a class I taught for many years..."unusual circumstance"... I keep expecting one day someone will post something substantial so I can change my mind...but it's going to take a ourt case or hearing ruling or something more than a maritime academic to quote the same old stuff.

I also suppose a single white light would work...but technically you are an underway vessel.

Last edited:
in the merchant navy I'm doing 6 hrs on 6 hrs off for 5 to 6 weeks no issues, can see being a problem for anyone

A small sailboat (or a small powerboat) in the middle of an ocean passage isn't much of a hazard to anyone, whether or not there is anyone on watch. Collision of two small boats well out at sea is unheard of. You are far more likely to be struck by lightening or be sunk by a whale. A collision of a ship and small boat far out at sea is exceedingly rare, but there are instances. The small boat is still not even a minor hazard to the ship, it will not know the collision occurred - even though they have a large crew supposedly keeping watch.

Of course nearer harbor where traffic concentrates, you need pilotage, and solo sailors do stay awake then.

So, I don't think it qualifies as irresponsible, as you are only risking yourself. On my sailboat we have an AIS transponder and a radar transponder (X and S band). If run down by a ship, the ship's crew is far more irresponsible than me - they were not keeping a proper watch, and were the burdened vessel.

Hey all,

I'm loving this forum and all the information just ROCKS! I'm considering the liveaboard lifestyle (not because of COVID-19), though I'm not a boater yet. One question that I just can't seem to get an answer for is this:

All the vids I've watched shows another person keeping watch at night while underway. I expect to be a solo skipper alone on my boat. If the water I find myself in is too deep to drop anchor, and I'm tired and need sleep, how do I keep from drifting aimlessly for 8 hours. What if I drift into a shipping lane. How do I keep from getting run over while I'm asleep?

I'm betting this is a stupid question, though I haven't seen it addressed anywhere yet. Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks, and keep up the great discussions.

This is my thinking and experience:

While in high seas with a GPS, an autopilot on and a radar intrusion zone set on, at passage-making speeds--six knots-- it is perfectly fine to sleep 90 to 120 minutes. In that period of time the vessel will have traveled 12 nautical miles, well within line-of-sight, and an error in autopilot performance will not significantly affect the vessels capacity to reach port. The radar would detect an intruding vessel and the GPS tracking would show the autopilot's performance and progress of the trip.

To address required visits to the head while traveling solo, I have tried this method in the bay less the sleep as a matter of training using 30 minutes instead of 2 hours and lowering the vessel speed to 3 knots. Works fine. A vessel at 3 knots is almost a standing still target and if the autopilot is tracking well and the radar shows the nearest boat or obstacle at 2 miles or more in front, it will take the boat 2 hours to get there.

While in high seas with a GPS, an autopilot on and a radar intrusion zone set on, at passage-making speeds--six knots-- it is perfectly fine to sleep 90 to 120 minutes. In that period of time the vessel will have traveled 12 nautical miles, well within line-of-sight, and an error in autopilot performance will not significantly affect the vessels capacity to reach port. The radar would detect an intruding vessel and the GPS tracking would show the autopilot's performance and progress of the trip.

To address required visits to the head while traveling solo, I have tried this method in the bay less the sleep as a matter of training using 30 minutes instead of 2 hours and lowering the vessel speed to 3 knots. Works fine. A vessel at 3 knots is almost a standing still target and if the autopilot is tracking well and the radar shows the nearest boat or obstacle at 2 miles or more in front, it will take the boat 2 hours to get there.

Let's assume for a moment I agreed, which I don't, with your 90 to 120 minutes, that still doesn't refresh anyone and you're still operating while sleep deprived.

Moving my new to me Nordhavn from Dana Point, CA to Bayfield, WI was done 24/7 for 63 days, although that includes waiting 4 days to get onto the Panama Canal, and a 14 day break about half way through. We had 3 crew at least, and for a few days we had 4.

Three works very well. Four was nice, but frankly messed me up since I was used to three.

I would consider going solo from the US mainland either east, to say the Med or the west coast of Europe, or Bermuda, or going west to say Hawaii or even on to New Zealand or Australia, but I would not solo up or down the east or west coast, unless I suppose a hundred or more miles offshore. If I did that I would set radar alarms for a couple of concentric distances. Loud ones. Same thing with AIS alarms. I LOVE AIS. On my big journey, and on trips to Bermuda and from Bermuda to the Caribbean I enjoyed talking to cruise ships.

No way would I solo 20 miles offshore. That's just me. It gives me chills just thinking of it.

I would go with a crew of 2 for maybe even up to a 4 day, or even a week long cruise. Six hour shifts to me work well. As a critical care paramedic I became used to sleeping for short periods, like an hour or two, or less, at a time for a few days on end, but six hours is pure luxury.
--------------

If the engine is placed in neutral, in calm winds the vessel may drift as little as one nautical mile in three hours, almost like good old anchor drag. It may take practice to progressively get used to it but done correctly it is perfectly safe, perhaps even safer than conditions in some rivers where some planing boats like to play acrobatics with their boats.

My 3 cents.

While in high seas with a GPS, an autopilot on and a radar intrusion zone set on, at passage-making speeds--six knots-- it is perfectly fine to sleep 90 to 120 minutes. In that period of time the vessel will have traveled 12 nautical miles, well within line-of-sight, and an error in autopilot performance will not significantly affect the vessels capacity to reach port.

From 6' high in a sailboat cockpit, the horizon is 3 miles away. Something 20 ft high on the other side of the horizon is visible another 6 miles. You are traveling 6 knots but it may be traveling 20 knots - closing speed 26 knots or nearly one mile every 2 minutes. 18 minutes to collision from invisible. A radar up the mast improves this a little, as long as there is no sea clutter, rain, it is on, etc.

On the other hand, new moon night with some weather, and you aren't going to see more than 1/4 mile anyway with the sharpest lookout. That is why I say that far out at sea, collisions are prevented by big oceans.

So let's say you were hiring a delivery skipper to move your boat from La Paz to San Francisco, about 1500. You ask a skipper how he manages sleep while running 24/7, unlit pangas, fishing boats with gear set, navigation, listening for radio notices, engine room checks, watching engine gauges for overheating, etc.

"Not a problem" he says. "I knock off and sleep like a baby for a couple hours. Everything has alarms. If something comes up, I'll get awakened."

Is that the guy you'd hire?

Board certified in sleep medicine
There’s no such thing as sleeping extra for preparation for up coming sleep deprivation. Your body and brain only recognize the rolling 24h period of history. You cannot put in extra sleep in expectation of future deprivation and expect it to make any difference.
Two sleep periods are absolutely fine. In fact many societies are constructed to permit this. To date theres no evidence of any detriment. A typical sleep cycle is 90-120m. Typically dozing, stage 2, slow wave then REM. Typically people get in at least 3 sleep,cycles per day. Occasional brief naps (<20m) generally won’t effect circadian rhythm but won’t allow a sleep cycle. Chronic sleep deprivation is very bad as is chronic disruption of the circadian rhythm. Cognitive abilities decline to the level of a drunk. Hallucinations ensue. Massive disruption of hormonal release and lack of normal immunological response. In fact incidence of cancer has been documented to increase in shift workers from that effect.
Males have less REM sleep as they age. Same in females but to a much less extent. Sleep tends to become more fragmented in both sexes with aging. Sleep requirements decrease throughout infancy and childhood but not during adulthood. Many Americans are chronically sleep deprived.
Due to serious medical implication of sleep deprivation it is considered torture and illegal by international law.
Pragmatically
If your baseline sleep is poor you surely don’t want to single hand beyond day sailing.
If you’re male and over 50 probably not a great idea to single hand beyond 24h.
If you single hand try to protect your circadian rhythm. For the Bermuda one two many would shift their sleep wake cycle by one hour in order to have their major sleep period to daylight hours. That race is brief enough lasting circadian effects are not expected. But this can be an issue for longer passages. Your rhythm is set by blue-green frequency light so can be set and maintained by manipulating exposure.
From the medical point of view single handling beyond a daysail isn’t a great idea. No way around it.

Will relate a personal story.
Was in my 30s and actively racing. Did a Newport Bermuda. My boat so was captain. That meant a pulled a watch but also woken for every evolution or change in course. Short race. Usually under 750nm even with unfavorable winds. Still was a tough race due to squally weather and one crew screwing up so his watches had to be double handed. For the last 2 days had repetitive delusions. Wind through the rigging or water passing by on the hull or around the stern was music with words. Had whole conversations with 3 dolphins in the bow compression wave. Thought clouds were talking to each other and dancing. Knew what was going on and episodes were quite brief but clearly delusions and REM intrusion with micro sleeps. Asked my best crew if he would cover my watch on the day before landfall. He did and I immediately recovered with little sleep drunkenness which cleared with a caffeine pill and two cans of coke. I’m sure mermans are a product of sleep deprivation. I’m sure many collisions and groundings are as well. I’m sure many bad decisions in severe weather when sleep is missed are also. My heavy weather plan includes a totally passive choice. Hoving too on sail or slowing down on power is not passive. Jordan series drogues and sea anchors are totally passive. Set it up. Button up. Put bedding on the sole and go to sleep.
Now assign the best crew as co captain. Now get uninterrupted sleep periods.

Last edited:
Coastal tuna fishermen shut down and drift at night (outside the usual shipping lanes). They leave the radar on with a distance alarm set. Some have a masthead strobe light. It's been done thousands of times.
That's what I do when I cross the Gulf of Alaska solo.

It would be nice if the Intl folks had a better rule for strobes.
Today a strobe is an emergency signal and a passing boat Must respond.

With todays electronics it should be easy for the strobe to double flash , say every 15 seconds to be the equal of red over red. = Captain in the head.

Until that happens a big bright LED in a commercial 5mi housing , at the boats masthead is probably all you can do.

If its blowing being awake during the day would offer a better chance of seeing a commercial, at night most are well lit.

"Ocean Passages for the World" shows the traditional sea lanes , many commercials follow the routes as drawn.

Last edited:
What could go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...?
At your level of experience I would caution you about a solo trip at night alone. It is a very difficult task you are seeking to accomplish. It can be confusing. The light from other ships is disorienting. Traveling, motoring or sailing, 30 to 40 miles offshore in the pitch black can be very disorienting And the novice shouldn’t embark on this action.
There are so many items on your checklist that need to be verified. What is the readiness of your boat? Are you intimately familiar with every system aboard your boat.? Before I do any kind of cruise that you’re speaking about I am spending hours upon hours to make sure all systems are operational. This means not having wire nuts to hold two wires together, etc.. This means making sure that all the hoses have been inspected AND replaced if need be. Are all the seacocks functional? Do you have all the necessary equipment when things go bad. Notice I said “ when” not if. And when things go wrong it’s never a single issue. There are unintended consequences and problems seem to cascade. Weaknesses in preparation seam to always rear their ugly head in bad weather and at night.
If you choose to do an overnight trip I would first recommend a crew of four. When I’m asked to crew for such an event I make sure I have been aboard the boat for hours before departure to personally review every system on the boat. I inspect every nook and cranny so I am intimately familiar with the boat.
When you start your trip. Set up your schedules. Two, three or four hour shifts for each and stick with it. If your shift is at night then you had better sleep during the day. Try that for two days and see how you’re doing. Then reassess whether you think you can do this alone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom