Old 05-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #41
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
When I was a kid on the Ohio River, I can remember dodging everything from trees to chicken coops to cow carcasses coming down river with the spring rains. And they weren’t waiting to be hit by a boat, they were moving with velocity!
I anchored one night just below Cairo, inside an island but in the full flow of the current. River was at flood stage and I spent the night listening to the shaft spinning and clunks of varying intensity as debris hit me. Didn't get much sleep :-)

After that I made sure I was in quiet water when stopping.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #42
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
When I was in Nova Scotia last September I enjoyed watching lobster boats preparation for the fishing season. I find the cage they all have around the propeller really interesting. Don't know how difficult it would be to fit one but that would be a really good safeguard against major issue.

L
I've seen that. But I suspect it's to keep the prop from getting fouled by lines or nets.

My boat is a lot like the east coast boats, single engine and protected prop/rudder. The vulnerability of the prop to damage from debris or grounding is pretty low.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:23 AM   #43
Guru

City: Boston Area
I went fishing with a group of guys once and we left the dock at about midnight and steamed through the dark ( and 6-8 foot swells ) at about 25 knots. I was convinced we were going to die. I was lying in the v-berth and would find myself 3 feet in the air on a regular basis. Amazing boat ( 50' Buddy Davis )....horrifying ride.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Growing up in South Florida back in the 60's with a wooden runabout as my first boat, we were always concerned with floating coconuts... back in those days people thought nothing of tossing their yard cuttings into the bay to be carried away by the tide... hitting a coconut at 30mph in a wooden hulled runabout would certainly ruin your day... and hole the hull.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #45
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I went fishing with a group of guys once and we left the dock at about midnight and steamed through the dark ( and 6-8 foot swells ) at about 25 knots. I was convinced we were going to die. I was lying in the v-berth and would find myself 3 feet in the air on a regular basis. Amazing boat ( 50' Buddy Davis )....horrifying ride.
Some co-workers went down to visit a fellow retired co-worker who moved to the Florida Keys. He had a waterfront place, and they jumped in his center console the first night to head to a waterfront restaurant.

He was driving wide open, but they figured he must know his way, and know there were no obstacles on the route.

A couple of days later, they went back to the same place in the day, and he was driving around old pilings, piers and docks, left and right. One of them came back, and said had never been so scared for something he had done two days before, in his life.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #46
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Sure that log looks scary but read literally any story about trans ocean crossings, particularly long extended ones and also races. You will find at least one incident of hitting a submerged object that never was identified. The consensus of opinion is that these "boat eaters" are shipping containers which were lost off huge cargo boats, they float just below the surface.

REALLY scary!! I wonder if some type of sonar would give warning.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Boise
Allways liked to have two people on the bridge so one could be on the lookout for logs in the water. Never boat at night. Take it easy on the speed.
Begorrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
The consensus of opinion is that these "boat eaters" are shipping containers which were lost off huge cargo boats, they float just below the surface.
Almost all sea cans sink fairly quickly unless they have a cargo of rubber ducks, life preserves or other extremely buoyant cargo. They're not water tight and the pressure differential a few feet below the surface, forces water in. If they're floating below the surface, they sink. A portion has to bob above the water to float at the surface.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #49
Guru

City: Boston Area
Sometimes you read about people suffocating in shipping containers, so they must be sealed fairly well.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Boise
Don't think they suffocate. Probably die from the heat or cold.
Begorrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #51

City: Louisville ky
im up here in louisville not much has changed!lol
Richard mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post

My boat is a lot like the east coast boats, single engine and protected prop/rudder. The vulnerability of the prop to damage from debris or grounding is pretty low.
Those characteristics were "must have" criteria for selecting my current boat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2276.jpg  
Old 05-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Solution. No props.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:02 AM   #54
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My boat hit a log in the Strait of Georgia at 10 knots when a friend had the watch. I have a monel plate on the stem. The boat took no damage I could find.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #55
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Sometimes you read about people suffocating in shipping containers, so they must be sealed fairly well.
Back when I was working, there were so many people being smuggled in, in shipping containers, that U.S. Customs, at least at our port, refused to use their giant X-ray machine on any container, until they had opened it and checked first to make sure there were no people in it.

Which of course, really lowered the value of having the giant X-ray machine in the first place.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #56

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Santa Catalina de Guale
Vessel Model: 43' steel trawler
Steel, 65,000 pounds, propeller protected by keel and foot to rudder, 8 knots.

Log? What log?

This is, after all, a trawler forum, and trawlers don't hit logs at 30 knots. If you are going to run at that sort of speed, do keep a good look out - there is more out there waiting for you than just logs.

About eight years ago I looked over a cigarette boat that hit a log at 130 MPH. It had (used to have, actually) propellers that came in their own suitcases. The owner would not admit to the cost of that little accident.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote