What to do with outdated Flares?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use the electronic signals, there are a couple of brands now, in lieu of the pyrotechnic flares. Before we retired from the CG Auxiliary our boats were acG facilities. The CG would not allow us to carry flares that were beyond 5 years past their expiration. They were believed to be unstable and apparently there had been cases of them hurting some people. We have VHF, cell phones and PLBs if we get into trouble. It is a PITA to keep buying flares as they expire and then trying to find a place to dispose of the old ones. So I have stopped carrying the pyrotechnic signals.
It is my understanding that the electronic "flares" are only good for night use. You still need pyrotechnic for daytime requirements.

Flare Disposal

Fire Department recommendation is to soak the flares in a bucket of water for 24 hours then dispose as trash.

Outdated Flares

I keep a good number of them in a separate water tight box. The many rescue stories I have read over the years indicates that catching the attention of a passing boat or vessel most often requires a number of flares. The out-of-date flares provide that needed redundancy. I test one from each batch of old flares and I have never had one not light.

Of course, you can always buy 20 new flares and discard the old ones. Don't forget that the flares that are really visible are the SOLAS Parachute Flares. They cost $80 each at West. The handheld SOLAS flares cost $40. I have one parachute and two handheld on board in addition to the typical yacht 12 ga flares. It is an arbitrary number governed by my pocketbook more than anything.

Compare the specs for the SOLAS and the 12 ga: SOLAS parachute flares ascend to more than 1,000' and burn at a dazzling 30,000 candela for 40 seconds. Non-SOLAS USCG flares typically found on recreational boats, such as pistol-fired 12-gauge flares, which at 16,000 candlepower for 7 seconds and reach 500'

We keep a back log of expired flares on board as the Coast Guard has told us they last years past their printed expiration date and having extras is always a good thing. In addition to the 10 or so "current" flare cartridges, we probably keep about 30 flares that are expired and rotate out the oldest ones each time we purchase a new pack.

Lou is right. Just bring them to the local FD for free, safe disposal. Would note we keep a current in date set. A second out of date set and a third set goes to the FD. Same thing with boat shoes. Boat only becomes marina and dock which become land and then gets tossed. Rotate them down the steps.

This problem started when pyrotechnics first were required on recreational vessels in the US about forty or fifty years ago. Then the 12ga pistol type were about $2 each. Though not required then I always carried them onboard. Immediately the price went $10+ each. These are nothing more than under-powered 12ga shotgun rounds. You can buy box of 20 fully charged ones $29.95, or at least you could have until the gun-control crowd took over.

Outdated Flares

In Canada there is no requirement to get rid of out-dated flares. The law requires that at least some of flares aboard to be within within 4 years of manufacture. Use the old flares first!
Not sure I'd keep flares older than 10 years though.

Last edited:
June 12th at Trotac with all of 4 days notice

I came across the annual CPS select location places to get rid of old flares. Once again I will not be anywhere near these locations. posted in case you are.
https://www.cps-ecp.ca/events/safety-equipment-flare-disposal-days-2/

Anyone have BC lower mainland or Gulf Island locations & dates for disposal.

Or do we wait for July 4th. :angel:

The ongoing flare disposal is a problem that calls for change. CPS sent out notice all of 4 days ahead of Saturday's flare disposal date. I managed to get rid of several years worth but it also required a special trip out to the marina due to the short notice.

I would be willing to bet that there has not been an actual test to challenge the 1 year expiry set for flares for perhaps 40-50 years, simply DoT leaving the regulations unexamined. C.I.L. doesn't mind as it creates a market requirement that has them charge $12+ per flare.

Last edited:
The ongoing flare disposal is a problem that calls for change. CPS sent out notice all of 4 days ahead of Saturday's flare disposal date. I managed to get rid of several years worth but it also required a special trip out to the marina due to the short notice.

I would be willing to bet that there has not been an actual test to challenge the 1 year expiry set for flares for perhaps 40-50 years, simply DoT leaving the regulations unexamined. C.I.L. doesn't mind as it creates a market requirement that has them charge $12+ per flare.

My annual problem is that the dates chosen conflict. That said one downtown location for lower mainland means a special trip on the one day. I was looking for the remote chance of one being held not well advertised. But it does not look like it. Fire has not taken them for years.

Saturday, June 26, 2021
Steveston's Marine and Hardware - 1677 W 5th Ave Vancouver, BC V6J 1N5
Fraser Power and Sail Squadron

Since we all keep these things on our boats I do not understand why they cannot be turned in at any other times. Spontaneous combustion?
I would like to see organized shoots as well for practice

Having been in a situation where I needed flares, all of the recently expired flares worked. Only 1/3 brand new in the package flares worked, so I always keep some as a backup. As for the the really old ones, I take them to the hunting camp and the land owner uses them to start brush pile fires from a safe and fun distance. :D

One way to
‘Dispose of’ outdated glares is to have someone organize a training session on use of visual signals.

The local CG Aux might be a good source.

My club near Annapolis does this every other year after getting a USCG permit which also prompts a Notice to Mariners and comms with other first responders.

Firing flares is a good skill to learn and is not something you want to learn “on the job”.

This comes up every year or two. One would think we are smart enough to come up with a good answer to carve in stone. :banghead:

It is my understanding that the electronic "flares" are only good for night use. You still need pyrotechnic for daytime requirements.

The electronic flares come with a daylight signal flag that meets the requirements for daytime signaling. No you do not need any pyrotechnics at all if you buy one of the electronic flares and flags.

Our technique is to anchor in LI Sound out in front of the local CG station.

Call them on #22 and inform them (not ask them ) that you are conducting pyrotechnic training for 15 min.

Ancient parachute flairs seem to work 9 out of 10, even if from the 1960's.

The small easily replaced 12ga units are kept up to date for inspections , although most are crap.

The electronic flares come with a daylight signal flag that meets the requirements for daytime signaling. No you do not need any pyrotechnics at all if you buy one of the electronic flares and flags.
well well....learned something. I never looked at those things all that closely. Just assumed they were meant for use more like a PLB....or a lifejacket light.

I recon I'll be buying one of those things the next time my flares expire, then I don't have to worry about it for my little 18ft runabout! I remember once or twice setting off to go out in the boat only to discover the flares were expired...then having to run around to find a source..and the flares they had in the store didn't have an overly fresh date on them....ugh, that was frustrating!

Write Not in service on them and keep for emergency use but buy new flares

I got this from the Coast Guard today, granted it’s AK, but….

News Release

U.S. Coast Guard 17th District Alaska
Office: (907) 463-2065
After Hours: (907) 209-8731
17th District online newsroom

Coast Guard reminds boaters not to use flares as fireworks, report inadvertently discharged flares

flare

JUNEAU, Alaska – The Coast Guard reminds boaters not to use flares as fireworks during this year’s Fourth of July celebrations, and to report accidental flare discharges.

Flares should only be fired to indicate distress in an emergency situation. Flares can be life-saving equipment and should be used if there is distress and assistance is needed.

Each year the Coast Guard responds to thousands of reports of flare sightings, costing taxpayers millions of dollars in personnel and equipment costs.

If a flare is inadvertently discharged, report it to the Coast Guard via VHF radio or phone to prevent unnecessary search and rescue efforts, and to keep valuable search and rescue resources available for mariners in actual distress.

One of the alternatives to traditional flares to consider using are electronic flares. E-flares are battery-powered, can be visible for up to 10 nautical miles, and flash an SOS signal for up to 60 hours.

“When we see or get a report of a flare, the Coast Guard is launching boats and aircraft to respond,” said Capt. Mike Frawley, incident management chief, 17th Coast Guard District,. “If a flare is inadvertently discharged, letting the Coast Guard know is the absolute right course of action.”
-USCG-

Bookmark and Share

Coast Guard emblem 2014 Questions for the Coast Guard?
Contact Us
For more Coast Guard news, visit our online newsroom here.

STAY CONNECTED:
Visit Us on YouTube Visit Us on Twitter Visit Us on Facebook Sign up for email updates

Our fire department doesn’t advertise that they accept expired flares but when I asked they took all the old ones I had.

May I suggest you visit a county forestry office and ask if they will accept them and use them in their control burn program to start and spread their back fires.
They may be able to use them instead of or along with their back fire torches.

May I suggest you visit a county forestry office and ask if they will accept them and use them in their control burn program to start and spread their back fires.
They may be able to use them instead of or along with their back fire torches.

What a great idea!

When I sold my last boat I had a bunch of old ones packed away because, well, I’m kind of a pack rat. I gave then to my local (rural tennessee) volunteer fire department for disposal. They set them off the next Fourth of July.

Our local Americas Boating Club held a flare and fire extinguisher hands- on training session during a club rendezvous weekend. The event was open to the public and invitations sent to all seasonal slip holders at the state park marina where it was held.
Anyone with outdated flares were encouraged to bring them to practice with.
Park Police, Country Sheriff marine patrol and USCG were notified ahead of time. The USCG actually thanked us not only for notifying them but for providing this public service & boater safety training.
Lot's of Q&A and discussion but everyone appreciated seeing and being able to launch a variety of signaling devices.
This is about the 5th such event we have held in recent years and will definitely be holding more in the future and expand our advertising effort.

Guy in our neighborhood was shooting off meteors on the 4th of July. Disappointingly however, they seemed rather boring compared to the fireworks going off

Guy in our neighborhood was shooting off meteors on the 4th of July. Disappointingly however, they seemed rather boring compared to the fireworks going off

Lucky he wasn't fined.

Not a chance in the world. There was too much going on and the skies were ablaze with fire

Interesting rules and laws.
One can fire off fireworks but not flares when the only difference is a flare is not that spectacular.

Not a chance in the world. There was too much going on and the skies were ablaze with fire

If you have seen enough of them...there is no mistaking the two.

Been the guy called out all night because of $th of July fireworks and also the guy who had to decide to send out crews for SAR.

4th only second to a good meteor shower....and those look alike????...not really if you look closely.

Last edited:
Independence day this year we were visiting Cocoa Village and were in the waterfront park for the concert and fireworks
I thought of this thread because there was someone directly across the river....or maybe in the river.... shooting off flares.

FYI they work great for killing moles, just find their tunnel and stuff one in there... two birds with one stone.

Back
Top Bottom