Whale Strikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many more whales in the area than their were ten years ago. See them all the time now.

Might build a DIY hydrophone this winter for fun.

So many more whales in the area than their were ten years ago. See them all the time now.

Might build a DIY hydrophone this winter for fun.

Keep me posted if it's doable for a fine arts leaning (anti-technically minded) knuckle dragging lout like me :thumb:

I asked a First Nations elder from Kitamaat what the whale situation was like here before Europeans turned up. He said that knowledge was lost when about 75% of their people died from smallpox and all the villages in the Douglas Channel system collapsed with the survivors moving to Kitamaat.

A Sperm Whale was recorded echo locating prey off the north end of Vancouver Island last year, or the year before last. If you see them blow from behind, the blow goes to the left because their blow holes are left of centre for some reason.

A Pacific Right Whale was spotted off of Haida Gwaii.

We think we saw a Fin Whale (slightly smaller and slimmer than a Blue Whale) in Douglas Channel once.

Given a chance, the number of species and individuals should be increasing for a long time.

Last edited:
Keep me posted if it's doable for a fine arts leaning (anti-technically minded) knuckle dragging lout like me :thumb:

I asked a First Nations elder from Kitamaat what the whale situation was like here before Europeans turned up. He said that knowledge was lost when about 75% of their people died from smallpox and all the villages in the Douglas Channel system collapsed with the survivors moving to Kitamaat.

A Sperm Whale was recorded echo locating prey off the north end of Vancouver Island last year, or the year before last. If you see them blow from behind, the blow goes to the left because their blow holes are left of centre for some reason.

A Pacific Right Whale was spotted off of Haida Gwaii.

We think we saw a Fin Whale (slightly smaller and slimmer than a Blue Whale) in Douglas Channel once.

Given a chance, the number of species and individuals should be increasing for a long time.

Yes, a Blue Whale was spotted off the west side of Vancouver Island this summer. First that I've heard of in the area.

Whales

While trolling for salmon in my commercial fishing boat in Dixon Entrance I have had the heck scared out of me twice. Both times whales came up beside my boat, standing almost on their tails, then fall lengthwise along side of me. In both cases I didn't know either was that close to me. One was in fog.

If either whale had of fallen sideways I wouldn't likely be alive.

Whales are dramatically increasing in numbers all over the BC Coast.

Whales are becoming increasingly “in our face” in their behavior recently. I read it over and over. And it’s basically world wide.

Eric,
There are lots of "others" protesting, why shouldn't the whales????
Now if I can just figure out who or what it is they are supporting??? :)

Eric,
There are lots of "others" protesting, why shouldn't the whales????
Now if I can just figure out who or what it is they are supporting??? :)

I have it on good authority that whales think processing krill for oil so people who eat too many French fries can feel better about themselves, is ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom