Old 10-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I read that our resident Orcas have been spotted off California, thus reduced sightings. Guess they are on the hunt for salmon as are many sports fisherman. Many orca sightings have been the transient ones. And smaller pods, as if they have split up into smaller groups.

About a dozen years ago these three circled our boat several times before leaving
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120714_142034.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	108826

Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Murray, do whales hit boats maliciously or accidentally? Is it common to hit a whale that is unaware of our boat’s proximity? Sleeping? It seems that whales would keep a distance for boat captains living in “the white zone”, situationally unaware.
If you haven’t already, read or watch “In the Heart of the Sea,” an account of the sinking of the whale ship Essex in the early 1800s, believed to have been deliberately rammed by an enraged sperm whale. Decent movie; great book.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We T boned a humpback 10 or so years ago not far north of Butedale.

He just humped up directly in front of us a few feet away (2 - 4 feet). I luckily stayed in the cockpit but as abrupt as the stop was it was not that violent. Never found any boat damage either. Somebody in Shearwater theorized that the female whale I was fix’in to photograph was being protected by a bull. He apparently didn’t want us any closer to the cow or/and calf. We saw all three spouts in time. But this theory is just dock talk.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
He apparently didn’t want us any closer to the cow or/and calf. We saw all three spouts in time. But this theory is just dock talk.
In the case of post #22, it was dock talk heard ‘round the world, since it became the inspiration for Moby Dick.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Live by the harpoon, die by the harpooned.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:57 AM   #26
FF
Guru

For folks that go offshore a White bottom paint has been recommended .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #27
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For folks that go offshore a White bottom paint has been recommended .
seriously? For protection from whales. I would have thought the darker the better to contrast against the sky color.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Probably not, but neither is hitting a moose on the highway...also an advisable thing to keep an eye out

First we see a lot of whales where Fredrick Sound, Stephans Passage and Chatham Strait all come together. If you stop, watch and listen the whales will let you know where they are and where you should be. On many occasions we have had a whale surface and slap its fin on top of the water to alert us that there is a baby near by. We have actually stopped and mom and baby come over to look at us.

Murray moose hits by car are very common occurrence in Alaska. On some sections of roads as many as 500+ moose are killed every year. But the meat is salvaged and taken to the nearest food bank where it is distributed to the needy.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
...Murray moose hits by car are very common occurrence in Alaska. On some sections of roads as many as 500+ moose are killed every year. But the meat is salvaged and taken to the nearest food bank where it is distributed to the needy.
That's the plus side of hitting a moose. The bad side is 95% of its mass is on four stilts putting that mass pretty much at windshield height for most cars. People die, or get severely brain damaged like one lady here in town.

Our policy is if the driver yells Duck! or Moose! everyone in the vehicle leans forward to get their heads below dash level. 700Kg (1,500 pounds) of meat and bone coming into your vehicle at highway speed makes a bit of a mess of things.

Another fellow here in town was tailgating a car which hit a moose. The moose flew over the first car and landed on/through the windshield of the tailgating car. Not a good way to die.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
That's the plus side of hitting a moose. The bad side is 95% of its mass is on four stilts putting that mass pretty much at windshield height for most cars. People die, or get severely brain damaged like one lady here in town.

Our policy is if the driver yells Duck! or Moose! everyone in the vehicle leans forward to get their heads below dash level. 700Kg (1,500 pounds) of meat and bone coming into your vehicle at highway speed makes a bit of a mess of things.

Another fellow here in town was tailgating a car which hit a moose. The moose flew over the first car and landed on/through the windshield of the tailgating car. Not a good way to die.
Yep I would agree. Not a good way to die.

Whales are cool and fun to watch. And yes sometimes they come over to see you what you are doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6337.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	108914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6388.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	108915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6390.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	108916  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
So many more whales in the area than their were ten years ago. See them all the time now.

Might build a DIY hydrophone this winter for fun.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
So many more whales in the area than their were ten years ago. See them all the time now.

Might build a DIY hydrophone this winter for fun.
Keep me posted if it's doable for a fine arts leaning (anti-technically minded) knuckle dragging lout like me

I asked a First Nations elder from Kitamaat what the whale situation was like here before Europeans turned up. He said that knowledge was lost when about 75% of their people died from smallpox and all the villages in the Douglas Channel system collapsed with the survivors moving to Kitamaat.

A Sperm Whale was recorded echo locating prey off the north end of Vancouver Island last year, or the year before last. If you see them blow from behind, the blow goes to the left because their blow holes are left of centre for some reason.

A Pacific Right Whale was spotted off of Haida Gwaii.

We think we saw a Fin Whale (slightly smaller and slimmer than a Blue Whale) in Douglas Channel once.

Given a chance, the number of species and individuals should be increasing for a long time.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #33
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Keep me posted if it's doable for a fine arts leaning (anti-technically minded) knuckle dragging lout like me

I asked a First Nations elder from Kitamaat what the whale situation was like here before Europeans turned up. He said that knowledge was lost when about 75% of their people died from smallpox and all the villages in the Douglas Channel system collapsed with the survivors moving to Kitamaat.

A Sperm Whale was recorded echo locating prey off the north end of Vancouver Island last year, or the year before last. If you see them blow from behind, the blow goes to the left because their blow holes are left of centre for some reason.

A Pacific Right Whale was spotted off of Haida Gwaii.

We think we saw a Fin Whale (slightly smaller and slimmer than a Blue Whale) in Douglas Channel once.

Given a chance, the number of species and individuals should be increasing for a long time.
Yes, a Blue Whale was spotted off the west side of Vancouver Island this summer. First that I've heard of in the area.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
Whales

While trolling for salmon in my commercial fishing boat in Dixon Entrance I have had the heck scared out of me twice. Both times whales came up beside my boat, standing almost on their tails, then fall lengthwise along side of me. In both cases I didn't know either was that close to me. One was in fog.

If either whale had of fallen sideways I wouldn't likely be alive.

Whales are dramatically increasing in numbers all over the BC Coast.
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Whales are becoming increasingly “in our face” in their behavior recently. I read it over and over. And it’s basically world wide.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #36
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Eric,
There are lots of "others" protesting, why shouldn't the whales????
Now if I can just figure out who or what it is they are supporting???
Old 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Eric,
There are lots of "others" protesting, why shouldn't the whales????
Now if I can just figure out who or what it is they are supporting???
I have it on good authority that whales think processing krill for oil so people who eat too many French fries can feel better about themselves, is ludicrous.