Old 09-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Weaver bracket issue

Greetings-

Last week undertaking a voyage from Ketchikan, to Wrangell, a 90 mile adventure, departing in a London Fog, traveling with radar and GPS, had made approximately 35 miles into the trip when the engine temperature began to creep beyond 180 degrees. Having had a similar issue just prior and addressed it with a replacement of the thermostat and rudimentary cleaning of the cooler (welding rod poking the cores) all seemed well and good under a test load.
So to have the repeat apparent, I decided that returning to Ketchikan, (still in the fog) was the better valor move.
We started back and in doing so, reduced the RPM from 1600 to 1400 allowing the engine temp to drop back to 180 degrees, then increasing back up to 1600 RPM and watching the temp gage with a return to the lower RPM as the temp reached near 200 degrees.
We were doing well till coming to a confluent of tide action found off Camano Point for those who are familiar with the area. Tough conditions as the wave action can reach some high measurements. In this day the wind was Westerly at about 10, however the tidal action had the water at 2 foot seas (Still in fog)
At this point the temp was really pegging out at 200 and making me uncomfortable continuing on the engine and moving me to use our "git-a-home' OB on the swim step.
I put on a float coat, lashed myself to the boat railing and proceeded to work on the swim step to swing the OB out and down.
Here is the point of this tale- I had left the 10 RIB at home with a loose Weaver pad for repairs, so the stern was clear of this RIB. Had it been onboard it would have to be removed to allow the OB to be placed in service. I don't know about other Weaver mounted boaters, but in our case, in order to release the tension one has to be in the RIB to be able to release the catches. In 2 foot seas which are covering the swim step as the boat moves, one can picture me in the RIP releasing the catches on the wave action. The RIB is now free and bouncing if not drifting, away. Very uncomfortable thoughts, particular with a mate onboard who, given a situation, would not react with any amount of ability to assess the situation and react.
So I have come to the conclusion that future use of the RIB will be mobile in terms of trailering the RIB to the boat launch ramp, load all the goods for any adventure there and transport to the boat and then tow the RIB,

The rest of the story is then attempting to start the 8 hp Honda, which is started once a month at the dock to assure it being prepared, to have the cord stay out and not retract on the second pull. Now the boat engine is shut down, the OB will not work, I hear water and lift the engine hatch clearing the steam and what not, later discovereing, exhaust hose so hot that it blew off the fiberglass tubing allowing sea water to back fill, pumps worked and I was able to jam the hose back on and single clamp it
The fog still in effect, is beginning to lift. Out of the fog not 100 yards behind me, is a South bound commercial gillnetter fishing boat.
Gave him a call on 16 and he accommodated me with a tow back to Ketchikan.
Best $100 I have spent in a long while!!!
in a clear headed review of the engine compartment, discovered the reason the the later engine temperature remaining at 200+ was the entry port for sea water into the manifold has also blown off due to the high heat negating the engine ability to drop in temperature.as no cooling sea water was entering the manifold. Not one challenge but many!!

Anticipate a head gasket replacement at the very least and for sure a complete soak of the sea water cooler in a caustic bath of some sort.
according to my engine wizard. (Yes, we will assure that water is leaving the cooler by removing the exit cooling water hose to the exaust hose to witness departing water flow.)
Conclusion: One should have a plan regarding the manual pressure release required of a Weaver mounted dingy or RIB in water rougher than flat calm and how to access that released dingy or RIB. Life jackets on for sure!!!

Interesting day on the water for sure

Regards-Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
All that excitement made for a great trip! And thankfully a Gillnetter comes to the rescues.
Nice save buddy!
Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:55 AM   #3
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
All that excitement made for a great trip! And thankfully a Gillnetter comes to the rescues.
Nice save buddy!
Cheers
Miss you and the little lady John, trust you fortunate the sea Gods will treat you with the best of life at sea. Keep the forum posted up to date
Old 09-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Egad!!!!

Were you alone?

Hope things go as smoothly as possible from here on out.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Meridian 391
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
Barabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Glad you got back in good shape, Al!
Old 09-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Egad!!!!

Were you alone?

Hope things go as smoothly as possible from here on out.
Thanks Murray- Update, fortunate with the engine. The thinking being with the high heat that a blown head gasket would not be a thought misplaced. however, after checking and testing with a chemical process, the engine is fine. The exhaust manifold on the other hand, was plugged with crusty crap. Salt water within cast iron manifold apparently can lead to choking off both the inlet and outlet orifices which prove to be the case. In the case of the inlet, the casting nipple cracked off. That was the cause of the last burst of high heat and shutting down the engine. As to the Honda OB issue, Damn if I can figure why but here was the cure. The mechanic slammed the recoil cover and the rope retreated. Not a fix but a short time cure.
Will soon pursue that issue for sure.
PM'd you on other details.
Thanks to other words of encouragement from fellow posters.

Al