Old 02-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #81
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
So, boat builders create boats that can't be steered without making a wake? Thus, creating "illegal" boats?

It's not that the boats can't necessarily be run at a no wake speed (although as mentioned, some either need trolling valves, 1 engine out of gear, etc. to achieve it). It's that when conditions become less than good (in terms of wind, current, etc.) it can become challenging to keep good enough maneuverability and maintain no wake speed. Fortunately, conditions like that are pretty rare for most boats.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #82
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mp. I don't think it's possible to run at absolutely no wake. Even a drifting boat leaves a wake. The issue is, I suppose, an "acceptable, minimum wake" perhaps no more than wind or current driven.
I've heard than any wake that doesn't curl is considered minimum. Not sure how true that is.

Mr. rs. Our small boat (23' PennYan Sportfish) handles abysmally at idle speeds (500RPM) but does quite well at 900RPM beyond which point it produces a wake that, in MY opinion, is above minimum. When maneuvering I do bump her in and out of gear along with stop to stop wheel manipulations. Looks like I'm grinding coffee.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #83
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Mr. rs. Our small boat (23' PennYan Sportfish) handles abysmally at idle speeds (500RPM) but does quite well at 900RPM beyond which point it produces a wake that, in MY opinion, is above minimum. When maneuvering I do bump her in and out of gear along with stop to stop wheel manipulations. Looks like I'm grinding coffee.

Those are the times where some discretion is required. Even in a no wake zone, I'd be looking at what's around me to assess whether slightly more wake is at any risk of bothering or damaging anything / anyone. If not, stretch it a little and make life easier. If there's easily damaged stuff close by, well...

Wind can also be an interesting factor. I noticed an interesting effect last year coming up the Oswego Canal against a 20-ish kt headwind. For the wider areas of canal, I was only needing to slow down a little bit past docks, not nearly as much as normal (down to 1100 or 1200 rpm from 1300, when I'd usually be down to 900 or 1000). The headwind was knocking a lot of energy out of my wake, so for the docks and such that were slightly further away, my wake was flattened to nothing by the time it reached them even at the higher speed.

And of course, there are always the people who interpret a no wake zone as "go as slow as your boat can" and only judge based on speed, not the actual wake. I once got screamed at ("slow down, you're going way too fast!") for doing 5 kts past a guy in a smaller boat that was doing about 2.5 - 3 kts. I was making no more wake than he was, but he was moving well below my idle speed, so going as slow as he expected would have been a challenge (and completely unnecessary).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #84
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
The issue is, I suppose, an "acceptable, minimum wake" perhaps no more than wind or current driven.
I've heard than any wake that doesn't curl is considered minimum. Not sure how true that is.
I wish that were totally true.... Maybe 80% of the time. A canoe might not appreciate your ripples.

Dropping in behind someone to avoid a wake suggests you will experience 1/2 the wake until you fall behind and then, you will experience the wake when it comes together.

I have always taken the wake on my bow. Now I read, taking the wake on the stern my be a better idea?
Old 02-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #85
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I wish that were totally true.... Maybe 80% of the time. A canoe might not appreciate your ripples.

Dropping in behind someone to avoid a wake suggests you will experience 1/2 the wake until you fall behind and then, you will experience the wake when it comes together.

I have always taken the wake on my bow. Now I read, taking the wake on the stern my be a better idea?

If only learning now that taking a wake on the stern is often OK....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If only learning now that taking a wake on the stern is often OK....
LOL, dont look at me. That was a question.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
So, who has not been violently waked?
Major point you've made. It happens. Shouldn't but does and we all better be prepared for it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Major point you've made. It happens. Shouldn't but does and we all better be prepared for it.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #89
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Stay Woke
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #90
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
So, who has not been violently waked?
Until about a year ago, I was never seriously waked. Mainly due to not boating in busy or narrow water.

My first and only big wake came from this boat. I considered making a complaint, but thought better of it.
Attached Thumbnails
0688F11C-8185-4BF4-9433-3AA143801FD4.jpeg  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Until about a year ago, I was never seriously waked. Mainly due to not boating in busy or narrow water.

My first and only big wake came from this boat. I considered making a complaint, but thought better of it.

Show some moxie...I took on the US Navy and I'm still alive.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #92
Veteran Member

City: Metairie, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you prefer us faster boats to do? Generally I just trim way down for a moment when passing while on plane. I lose 3/4 of a knot and flatten my wake significantly. To make less wake by slowing down, I have to be doing less than 7 kts (which often means not passing).
What we would like you faster boats to do is show some courtesy and not pass a slower vessel close aboard. A heavy wake is devastating and if there is no sea room to move away, then, yes, we expect you to slow down and avoid compromising the safety of the overtaken vessel — which maintains the right of way
Jack Hulse
New Orleans
Jackhulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #93
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. mp. I don't think it's possible to run at absolutely no wake. Even a drifting boat leaves a wake. The issue is, I suppose, an "acceptable, minimum wake" perhaps no more than wind or current driven....
. Be practical,use commonsense. A boat displaces water as it moves. Disturbance can = wake. I interpret "no wake" as "minimal wake". I might get prosecuted one day but when I`m traversing such a zone, other boats are almost always doing more violence to the water than I am.
Don`t leave your commonsense at home when you go boating. The only way to surely generate "no wake" is to not move.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:49 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
. Be practical,use commonsense. A boat displaces water as it moves. Disturbance can = wake. I interpret "no wake" as "minimal wake". I might get prosecuted one day but when I`m traversing such a zone, other boats are almost always doing more violence to the water than I am.
Don`t leave your commonsense at home when you go boating. The only way to surely generate "no wake" is to not move.
Wifey B: I would have you know I'm generating "no wake" at this very moment. Well, unless.....no wake on the water....does it count as wake in a .....nevermind, bad girl.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: I would have you know I'm generating "no wake" at this very moment. Well, unless.....no wake on the water....does it count as wake in a .....nevermind, bad girl.
TMI. Bed sheets don`t count. Creases are not waves.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:11 AM   #96
Guru

Quote:
TMI. Bed sheets don`t count. Creases are not waves.
Wifey B: What if it was a waterbed? (Ours is not).
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: What if it was a waterbed? (Ours is not).
Drain the water > no waves? Don`t waterbeds have sheets?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Drain the water > no waves? Don`t waterbeds have sheets?
Wifey B: Yes, they have sheets but still waves. You can create a nice wake from one side to the other especially the original kind of waterbed that wasn't baffled.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Yes, they have sheets but still waves. You can create a nice wake from one side to the other especially the original kind of waterbed that wasn't baffled.
Not sure about the water bed but I`m baffled.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:42 AM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Not sure about the water bed but I`m baffled.
Wifey B: