We got waked...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until about a year ago, I was never seriously waked. Mainly due to not boating in busy or narrow water.

My first and only big wake came from this boat. I considered making a complaint, but thought better of it.

Show some moxie...I took on the US Navy and I'm still alive.

Out of curiosity, what would you prefer us faster boats to do? Generally I just trim way down for a moment when passing while on plane. I lose 3/4 of a knot and flatten my wake significantly. To make less wake by slowing down, I have to be doing less than 7 kts (which often means not passing).

What we would like you faster boats to do is show some courtesy and not pass a slower vessel close aboard. A heavy wake is devastating and if there is no sea room to move away, then, yes, we expect you to slow down and avoid compromising the safety of the overtaken vessel — which maintains the right of way
Jack Hulse
New Orleans

Greetings,
Mr. mp. I don't think it's possible to run at absolutely no wake. Even a drifting boat leaves a wake. The issue is, I suppose, an "acceptable, minimum wake" perhaps no more than wind or current driven....
:thumb:. Be practical,use commonsense. A boat displaces water as it moves. Disturbance can = wake. I interpret "no wake" as "minimal wake". I might get prosecuted one day but when I`m traversing such a zone, other boats are almost always doing more violence to the water than I am.
Don`t leave your commonsense at home when you go boating. The only way to surely generate "no wake" is to not move.

:thumb:. Be practical,use commonsense. A boat displaces water as it moves. Disturbance can = wake. I interpret "no wake" as "minimal wake". I might get prosecuted one day but when I`m traversing such a zone, other boats are almost always doing more violence to the water than I am.
Don`t leave your commonsense at home when you go boating. The only way to surely generate "no wake" is to not move.

Wifey B: I would have you know I'm generating "no wake" at this very moment. Well, unless.....no wake on the water....does it count as wake in a .....nevermind, bad girl. :rofl:

Wifey B: I would have you know I'm generating "no wake" at this very moment. Well, unless.....no wake on the water....does it count as wake in a .....nevermind, bad girl. :rofl:
TMI. Bed sheets don`t count. Creases are not waves.:D

Drain the water > no waves? Don`t waterbeds have sheets?

Wifey B: Yes, they have sheets but still waves. You can create a nice wake from one side to the other especially the original kind of waterbed that wasn't baffled. :)

Wifey B: Yes, they have sheets but still waves. You can create a nice wake from one side to the other especially the original kind of waterbed that wasn't baffled. :)
Not sure about the water bed but I`m baffled.:whistling:

Slow down, no wake zone on his side of the bed.....

Your onboard water bed is an interesting way to adjust the ballast.

To paraphrase the wise(?) one from another thread regarding OP being waked.

"...and now a little poem to put things in focus:

Wah! Wah! Boo! Hoo! I got waked too

Shape up snowflake, these times ain't bad at all."

Damn power boaters, they have no respect. They think they can just hop in the boat like its a car, turn the key and take off. No consideration of others. No understanding of how their mode of transportation can effect others.

Damn power boaters, they have no respect. They think they can just hop in the boat like its a car, turn the key and take off. No consideration of others. No understanding of how their mode of transportation can effect others.

May want to add a smiley face so people don't assume this was serious. :D

I've always been careful to watch approaching vessels on the radar and to be sure and take actions to minimize wake. The one time that we actually had a small bit of damage was when we were sitting still in flat calm waters.

We had just been boarded off Cape Strait outside of Petersburg, AK by the Coast Guard. Inspection went fine and professional. The four Coasties got back on their boat and we were preparing to get underway when our GB 50 starting rocking violently side to side. Items that had never moved in 10' seas went flying! It seems the CG had just gotten a new 48' and wanted to test their acceleration. A few feet from our boat they full throttled it sending large, short period waves broadside into our 40 ton boat rocking it violently. I was sooo pissed! I got on the radio cussing them up and down. A few seconds later I got a sheepish call back from the CG boat from the the officer in charge apologizing profusely. I learned back in town that the young pilot had gotten quite a chewing out from the older officer on board. Luckily, no one was hurt and only a few small items broken.

If worse come to worst, and I was being approached by someone at a higher rate of speed, and they respectfully hailed me, I’d be happy to slow so they could pass.

please learn the difference among their and there, effect and affect, to and too, weather and whether, etcetera. Thank you.

If worse come to worst, and I was being approached by someone at a higher rate of speed, and they respectfully hailed me, I’d be happy to slow so they could pass.

Exactly - Like many positions in life: "Respect" of, for and toward others makes life flow a bit more smoothly. That includes the "flow" of a wake's wave sizes! :thumb:

I have heard it discussed that if the lead vessel does not respond, you are not supposed to overtake till agreement is reached.

I'd like to see where that is printed in the Col Reg's.

Waked

Out of curiosity, what would you prefer us faster boats to do? Generally I just trim way down for a moment when passing while on plane. I lose 3/4 of a knot and flatten my wake significantly. To make less wake by slowing down, I have to be doing less than 7 kts (which often means not passing).

What you should do in open waters is give a wide berth to smaller or slower boats rather than pass close by on plane. In restricted waterways such as the ICW then you should come off plane when passing. I've seen Jackass Sportfishers damn near swamp small ski boats and I've had serious damage to my belongings from the same. Large wakes pose a danger to property and persons. By law, you are responsible for your own wake.

please learn the difference among their and there, effect and affect, to and too, weather and whether, etcetera. Thank you.

You're good grammar might mean your a edumucated person.

I think a pear of good books might be good to read while eating a pair.

Don't forget to pack desert for a trip to the dessert.

:eek:

But seriously, good spelling and good grammar went by the wayside when we started giving out participation ribbons and parents started using video games as babysitters.

Incorrect: Well anyways. Or; I was there anyways. Or; it will happen anyways.

Correct: Well anyway. I was there anyway. It will happed anyway.

Greetings,
Mr.p. Can you write that in cursive?

iu

Back
Top Bottom