Water tanks and drinking from them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been filtering the chlorine out of my water on the way into the tanks, since they're aluminum, and chlorine will react with my tanks over time.

I agree with just sediment filtering and using city chlorinated to fill tanks for contamination reasons.

Put your filter either for drinking or whole house after it comes out of your tanks but before the faucets.

I've been filtering the chlorine out of my water on the way into the tanks, since they're aluminum, and chlorine will react with my tanks over time.
Agreed. Do the same and have the same. Just use the water and don't let it sit too long. I also filter it at the sink for drinking and cooking. Sterilize the system each year using Thetford Freshwater Tank Cleaning system (to avoid using bleach). No problems, and the water tastes good.

Disagree. How do you explain our having good water from our tanks using non-chlorinated well water from our marina? The problem to which you refer is for a reason unrelated to not having chlorinated water.

Ground water wells that service a small number of users can use un chlorinated water. Usually the best water comes from deep wells not requiring aeration.
I grew up on a farm drinking well water, my grand parents farm had a 600’ flowing well thru lime stone. Even though we had cool delicious water we sent in test samples every so often to insure pollutants hadn’t contaminated the water.
I was referring to municipal water systems that use surface water mostly and need continuous test and treatment.

Last edited:
How are Grand Banks has cold rolled steel Water tanks. In the 2 1/2 years I have on this boat I have never found the water to turn bad. I’ve never needed treat the water.
In our case I think there are a number of reasons this has worked.
1) The steel tanks are located below the forward cabin Far from the head of the engines. The water never appears to get too warm.
2) we have PEX piping throughout the boat.
3) when I winterize the boat I don’t use antifreeze.
4 I use an air compressor To clear all lines and drain each tank.
5) I have one potable water rated (typically white) water hose and use it solely to fill the water tanks.

Back
Top Bottom