Old 08-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #61
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Surely, over-zealous environmentalists are not making babies at all. ... My parents, nevertheless, had four children but only two grandchildren and only two great-grandchildren. ... So goes the European stock, but Europeans are hardly trying to preserve their race. ... The Pierces are just barely hanging in there. Over-population is not our fault!
Old 08-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #62
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Back in the day the commercial fisherman controlled the seal and sea lion population. Worked just fine.
Yes and the whale population was larger. These days the food chain is disrupted. In our oceans a common sight was herring balls, sought after by the salmon as well as the offshore buyers with suitcases of cash.
The Fraser river salmon runs were large. Then mount St Helens blew and the following year they stopped returning via Juan de Fuca, instead via over the top of Van Isle. Then we have the farm salmon stocks killing the native salmon.

So a cull of a predator like sea lions which other than potlatch stew and whale food, have no useful purpose, so go to it, cull them.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 AM   #63

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
California sea lion is the common name for zalophus californianus. It doesn't mean the animals come from California. Their range is from SE Ak to central Mx including the Gulf of California. To say they came from California because that is part of their common name makes as much sense as saying they are related to lions.

Wow, didn't know that. And I'm kinda bummed about it really..Because we Oregonians love to blame Californians for everything wrong in the West.
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #64
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
...my parents, nevertheless, had four children but only two grandchildren and only two great-grandchildren. ... So goes the european stock, but europeans are hardly trying to preserve their race. ... The pierces are just barely hanging in there. Over-population is not our fault!
q.e.d.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #65
Veteran Member

City: Southport-ish
Vessel Name: Bad Idea
Vessel Model: 36 Albin
Nature has always and will always find a way. The big question while talking about overpopulation is who will control it. What person will be voted in? Who will be allowed to reproduce? Who makes the rules? How can anyone know how many people this planet can sustain? It reminds me of Mow. It sounds like a power grab. It sounds communist. It sounds evil..... But what do I know. I'm just an idiot that thinks a family is the one of the greatest gifts from god and should not be controled by any government. That being said. Save the seals! Save the fish! People worried about Overpopulation could start by killing themselves and not controling, taxing the rest of us as they virtue signal about what others should do to save a planet we know little about. This is all only an opinion
Old 08-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #66
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Effort View Post
Overpopulation could start by killing themselves and not controling, taxing the rest of us as they virtue signal about what others should do to save a planet we know little about. This is all only an opinion
"only" ... single, solitary.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #67

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
This is great! Keep it up guys! I’m subscribing for the ride. Now if I could just find more beer in the fridge
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:15 AM   #68
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Volunteer needed to fit condoms on horny sea lions. Problem solved.
Can`t wait for RTF`s gif.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #69
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Sigh...

Yes, I am responsible for it all.
There! Now you will 'Feel' better Murray, confession is so good for the soul!.

Now can we discuss individual communities investing in small effective nucular power generation units?
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #70
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Back in the day the commercial fisherman controlled the seal and sea lion population. Worked just fine.
Yep, provided shotgun ammo by the fish and game. The same issue with those damn cute little 'sea otters' and lets add the huge increase of whales, all consuming tons and tons of fish and shell fish.

Bounty on otters, ammo for the sea lions, and let the Eskimos and Japanese have whales on demand!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #71
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
WOW all these PHDs committing on the condition of the Columbia River salmon stock. Yet most here have never been to the Columbia.

The current condition of the the salmon stock in the Columbia River is due to the mis-management of the resource by Washington, Oregon and the Feds (native folks).

Environmental Waco terrorists have also made it hard to properly management the system as they want all hatcheries closed and dams removed. The tribes are refusing to clip fins on salmon as they want their fish identified as "wild" salmon when in fact they are hatchery fish. One only has to go above the Bonneville Dam to see all the nets in the water with fish rotting as the nets are not checked every day.

Again mis-management of the resource.

For the record, I do not have a PHD........
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #72
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Meanwhile, as you guys are denying humans (particularly of the immigrant European type) are mainly responsible for falling salmon stocks, an even bigger problem looms:

https://www.noaa.gov/education/resou...-acidification

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...esearch-shows/
Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #73
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Meanwhile, as you guys are denying humans (particularly of the immigrant European type) are mainly responsible for falling salmon stocks, an even bigger problem looms:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the CO2 in the ocean is produced by the ocean's inhabitants.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #74
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Crossroads
Vessel Model: North Pacific 34
California sea lion is the common name for zalophus californianus. It doesn't mean the animals come from California. Their range is from SE Ak to central Mx including the Gulf of California. To say they came from California because that is part of their common name makes as much sense as saying they are related to lions.

Yes, but some did. 25+ years ago, in an effort to limit the fishkill at the Ballard Locks, sea lions (remember Herschel?) were trapped in large steel cages, tagged, and relocated to Northern California (Bay area maybe). Some of them returned to the Locks in two weeks time.

While awaiting transport to sunny CA, the cages were tied off to mooring bouys outside Shilshole Bay Marina. Woe be to sailors in our Wed nite beercan races who passed close downwind. It was an epic olfactory experience.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #75
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Crossroads
Vessel Model: North Pacific 34
OK, my memory has faded and not everything I just posted is correct. It took a month to return from the Channel Islands and two weeks to return from the WA coast.

Herschel
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #76
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:

Uh Murray, I won't suggest you're trolling off subject.

You are aware that earth's atmospheric levels of CO2 during the past few thousand years are at a 100 million year low? Even if man weren't adding CO2 to the air there is only one way for CO2 and air temps to go, up. Stable they have never been.

Now back to the Columbia River issues as raised by ASD.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #77
Guru

City: Boston Area
If everyone is convinced that the problem is someone else's fault, things will just get worse. If everyone takes responsibility for their own actions, does what they can, and just makes incremental changes in their consumption habits things will either get better; or at least get worse more slowly.

We can't use "we don't fully understand the problem", or "we are afraid of un-intended consequences" as excuses to do nothing. We understand enough to know that we are having a negative effect on the planet by stressing certain links in the food chain and creating too much CO2.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #78
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes, I believe salmon can be " transplanted to different rivers and they migrate "past" areas of other salmon...but Columbia river salmon I doubt are remotely connected with or travel with Alaska salmon....

If anything, the Columbia River Salmon follow the Japanese Current past Alaska and BC to Washington...but again I don't think they travel that uniformly.

This is untrue. Historically the SEAK Troll fishery intercepted large numbers of Columbia River Chinook as well as Canadian stocks.

See page 70, this document specifically for impacts on Columbia River Chinook.

https://www.psc.org/download/35/chin...ok-19-2-v1.pdf

In addition, the SEAK seine and gillnet fisheries intercepted Skeen and Fraser River sockeye in large numbers.

Jim
Retired salmon fisheries biologist.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #79
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Sea lions have lost their natural fear of predation, so killing a few in plain sight of other sea lions restores their aversion to being around humans. Likewise bears which have lost their fear of humans are very dangerous...

The coastal swimming beaches in Southern California have been taken over by sea lions, and fear of being attacked has driven human use of those beaches away. When I was in the Navy in 1973 it wasn't the case, the sea lions stayed out of the swimming breakwaters.

The dams have stopped the salmon where the sea lions can congregate and eat too many of them. Way complex issue, no answers here...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #80

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
This is an extremely complex challenge. But one simple law is you can't harvest the prey without harvesting the predators, if you expect to have any prey left. Yes. nature does usually balances things but at extreme swings. But again, we know that thousands of species became extinct even before humans reared their ugly heads.

Personally, I think the major problem the world has is too many people. This too will correct itself as humans are part of nature not separate from it. Covid 10 is just one of the future results of too many people.
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote