US Coast Guard 'Alarmed' By Mariners Turning Off AIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following the bouncing ball here, I'm beginning to wonder how we managed before AIS.

I love paranoids.......

The US government sends me 2 checks a month.

Has plenty of info on me after a 23 year USCG career, 20 year merchant mariner career, 15 years tracked by the NJ state Police as a certified boating safety instructor, and 6 years as a USCG certified captains license instructor.

But the Real ID Act makes it extremely difficult for me to get drivers licenses, bank accounts, credit cards.....maybe more.

I hope they track me......know who I am and know what I do and where I go 24x7x365....

Maybe it will make my life easier...:D

I figure that having a cell phone and such, there's plenty of ways I can be tracked. I'm not going to readily avoid it, so forgoing something potentially useful out of fear doesn't make sense. And if there paying attention to what I'm doing and it gives them a heads up that I'm not what they're looking for, then I got an extra benefit out of it.

Man, we need to move away from this big brother paranoia stuff. The Internet has not been our friend in this regard.

I bet Google knows more about most of us than AIS will ever cough up.

I bet Google knows more about most of us than AIS will ever cough up.
LOL Goggle already has TF's number. Keep it about boats stuff folks.....Gotta love it.

I'm on the safety side regarding AIS.

The ADSb is simply a control grab that the FAA wants to spy on us.... just like the AIS can be. They may have some safety implications, but there's NO reason to identify one with either. All we need to know is that there's a boat (or plane) that we might hit.

I am not going to argue with you, it's a waste of my time.

I do want to put forth to the others on this thread that, after 34 years of professional aviation, I can say you have not clue what you're talking about.

Good luck with your conspiracies.

As a mostly retired professional and current recreational boater my opinion is that AIS is a significant if not the most significant safety advance I've seen in a lifetime on the water. In addition to showing CPA being able to hail and be hailed by name makes making passing and meeting arrangements for collision avoidance a slam dunk.

I worry far more about Google, Amazon and who knows what other corporations tracking me online, by my phone, by my purchases and methods I don't even know about.

A Google aside. Australia is attempting to legislate to get Google to pay for news it lifts without payment from our News services, private, Govt, and semi Govt, which helps it attract users of its services thus helping generate its profits.

Responses, apart from apoplexy, are to: 1. Threaten to remove all news content from Google and, 2. Depart Australia, search engine included.
The real concern is that if Australia succeeds,other countries will follow suit. Fun to watch, and there are other search engines, and a vacuum which will fill in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Well there's a government of, by and for the people... "Report your location 24/7 or be subject to harassment, and you can thank us for reducing the unconstitutional inconvenience."

I also carry a smartphone. So not only does the government know where my boat is, the private sector does too.

So what?

Unless in pirate alley, I consider AIS to rank right up there with the EPIP.
If I have a life threatening event, I want to be found QUICKLY.

Back
Top Bottom