Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
SILENTKNIGHT's Avatar
 
City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 71
travelling on the ocean whats considered safe

I just travelled inside the ICW from Annapolis the last few days. It was rain fog, and a little wind but not unable to travel. I'm in e 2006 Mainship 34T, operating from lower helm. Currently im docked at Manasquan inlet ( NJ). And looking to travel to Long Island. But i hav never been in sea with this boat. So looking at NOAA i think no more than 3 foot seas would be safe to travel?, as you know its a slow boat 8-9 knts all the way 7 hrs. Tell me your thoughts..
__________________
Advertisement

SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #2
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,585
Does indeed look like 3 foot seas on students bow, reducing somewhat through the afternoon This is definitely safe for the boat through prudence suggests a thorough check to make sure everything is secure. Given this would be a maiden voyage for you, I'd suggest spending the time to make sure plates, glassware, pots, and anything else that can make noise is padded - listening to dinner plates clank around is unnerving.

Tomorrow looks slightly better than today, but I wouldn't hesitate to poke my nose out and see what actual conditions are. If the small boat fishermen are headed out this morning, a decent sign it's nice out.

Have a good day and enjoy your run. I'm envious - sounds like a nice way to spend a day.

Good luck

Peter
__________________

__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
Current Location: Ensenada MX
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
SILENTKNIGHT's Avatar
 
City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 71
i plan on leaving Saturday morning @6am? does this NOAA look safe for Saturday?
This is my maiden voyage . The ICW was fine i learned alot from Annapolis and thru the Delaware river into Cape May. IS ITHIS SAFE?
SAT
NW winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming N 5 to 10 kt in the
afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Remember im heading across North east to longisland
SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,387
I wouldn't. 3-4 means the occasional 5-6.


Sea direction would be important too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTKNIGHT View Post
i plan on leaving Saturday morning @6am? does this NOAA look safe for Saturday?
This is my maiden voyage . The ICW was fine i learned alot from Annapolis and thru the Delaware river into Cape May. IS ITHIS SAFE?
SAT
NW winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming N 5 to 10 kt in the
afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Remember im heading across North east to longisland

Depends on wave period, too. 3-4' chop on the Chesapeake with short wave period can pretty much beat your teeth out. 3-4' waves on the ocean with a much longer wave period could be relatively pleasant.

Also, "safe" and "fun" can be too different things. Often, the boat will take more than you can... but that doesn't mean you should intentionally go out for a pounding, safe or not.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,816
I had a MS 34T in California. Our cutoff forecast was for more than 4-5' seas for a trip from Long Beach to Catalina. Any bigger and we wouldn't go. 3-4' should be fine.

Oh I see that your Avatar is of a Pilot 34 not a 34T. Well I owned a Pilot 34 also when we moved back to the NE. It could handle a little more seas but I would stick to the 4-5' limit. I suspect that the reason it felt better in higher seas was you weren't up in the high fly bridge being rocked back and forth. It also was less affected by stern seas (narrower hull) but that doesn't seem likely for your trip.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member
 
SILENTKNIGHT's Avatar
 
City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 71
Yes the avatar is the old pilot... We were fortunate enough to upgrade to 34 trawler... It will be a 6 hour trip at 8 knots.. So far the weather says 3 to 4' seas.. The wind from the Northwest I will be travelling North East
SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,387
"Because the "Significant Wave Height" is an average of the largest waves, you need to be aware that any individual wave can be smaller and some will be larger and some likely may be much larger."


https://www.offshoreblue.com/wx/wx-wave-heights.php




Plus, waves aren't just determined by current winds...and if they just switched, the waves are much steeper and more uncomfy/dangerous.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,433
Greetings,
Mr. S. I'm not familiar with the area but 3' to 4' seas on the quarter for 6 hours is NOT my idea of comfortable. As Mr. ps so correctly points out, there will be some 5' to 6', as well. You're going to get wet, at least!
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,238
I'd suggest waiting until Thursday PM to make your decision. Forecasts for wave height and winds beyond 72 hours get pretty iffy.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,001
If there is any real need to travel I think you will be OK. But why bother, are you in a time crunch?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 144
Is it safe? Yes, I don't think there's anything about that forecast that makes your trip in your boat objectively unsafe.
Will it be fun? Really hard to tell. So much has to do with wave period, boat handling, and your own ability to put up with a rough ride. One persons awful ride could be another persons sporty adventure.

I think the best idea is to have a bailout plan. If it sucks, can you turn back or duck in another inlet. Or do you just wait for flat calm water and no wind? Bad rides are part of learning. Not to say you should head out imprudently or unprepared. There are obvious forecasts that make going out a bad idea. But sometimes you gotta stick your toe in. There isn't a boater out there who hasn't gone out and said... hmm maybe I should have stayed on the dock or even, hey! this isn't as bad as I thought.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,387
Safe is a funny word.


It is usually based on the "typical" not the unusual, extraordinary, or extreme.


We all have gotten through times that have been less than perfect and thought later..."I was lucky, cause if anything else had happened".


So yes, you can probably make it OK.


Lots here have...many have "some times".... after seeing hundreds or more of boaters that didn't make it unscathed... I just throw out that it's up to your risk management and you might only have the best info a day out or the morning you "stick your nose in it"


Keep an good eye out and go with your comfort level that day, not what someone posted today.


My experience with new boat owners and boat training in general is .....people who ask general questions versus very specific area or weather questions....should err to the safe side when the time comes to shove off.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mischief Managed's Avatar
 
City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 376
I operate in the open Atlantic off the NH coast all the time. Predicted 3 footers are nothing to worry about in a 34 foot Mainship. Aboard our 44 foot Tollycraft, predicted 5 footers are our limit and that's purely for comfort, not safety. The boat handles them effortlessly, we just find 5 footers and up very unpleasant.



That said, if you don't like what predicted 3 footers feel like, you can always head in to a port.



Predicted 3-4 footers would not stop me, but Saturday is a long way out and that forecast will likely not remain unchanged. BAsed on the forecast, odds are good you'll be taking the waves on the nose, so that helps a lot. 3-4 foot beam seas or following seas suck...
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #15
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Predicted 3-4 footers would not stop me, but Saturday is a long way out and that forecast will likely not remain unchanged. BAsed on the forecast, odds are good you'll be taking the waves on the nose, so that helps a lot. 3-4 foot beam seas or following seas suck...

I'd mostly agree with that assessment, and from what I know of the Mainship 34 hull, I'd agree that on the nose is the best case in seas that size.



But it does really depend on the boat. Most boats will be at least a little unpleasant with 3 - 4 on the beam unless stabilized. But head sea vs following sea varies more. If it's not steep chop, I'm fine with 3 - 4 on the nose in my boat, although it'll often be a wet ride on plane (or a lot of pitching at low speed), especially if we're at any angle to the wind. 3 - 4 foot following seas are pretty comfy as long as we're not going slow to stretch our fuel range. Either running with them or power up and run over them and it's a pretty nice ride.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #16
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,441
I agree you need to wait until the forecast is 24-48 hours out. Beyond that it's too subject to change.


And when it comes time to make the call, I would look for 3' or less in the forecast, and no head-wind component. Don't make your first open water cruise a nighmare. Nothing will spoil you faster on boating. Make it enjoyable.


As I recall, from Manisquam to NY there are no real bailout points?
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #17
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,283
TT your reply was specific and on target.
I was wondering what an ideal, average, normal, sea state would be like.
For the first time traverse in any area, those with experience should share the conditions considered comfortable.
The boat can handle more than the crew.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,585
As of right now, Sunday is a substantial improvement. A low pressure moves through on Saturday giving seas of 3-4 feet @ 7 seconds from east with winds 15 from NE so expect some decent wind chop. Not unsafe but uncomfortable.

Sunday, after low pressure moves offshore, winds are forecast to lay down, seas 2-3 @ 9 seconds.

Peter
__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
Current Location: Ensenada MX
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #19
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,387
If the winds were NW for a couple day prior and laying down I would go too.


But with 5-6 building on Thursday and then swinging to the W on Sat night....it might be uncomfy to say the least.


So far the only great advice is take another look on Thursday (later in the week) and start thinking more seriously then with what the seas actually are and what they are forecast at departure time.

EDIT: after looking at other weather info...seems to be some disagreement in exactly what may happen Fri and Sat. Mostly Friday which will have a lot to do with Saturday.


Usually when I see that much disagreement...all I can do is wait and see. If it's flip a coin out this far, I err to the safe and decide on plan B....if no big deal.... I wait and see and make that decision Fri night or Saturday depending on the new forecast and trend. I think it' less than 30 some miles out of Jersey waters into at least some shelter farther North....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
City: Middle River MD
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 94
It's been mentioned but not emphasized. Period is everything. I've been in 6 foot swells at 12 seconds and it was like riding comfortably in a car over a series of hills.

3 foot chop with wind on the nose - miserable.

Inlets are all about wind direction and current. Manasquan inlet is notorious in the wrong conditions.

I don't think you mentioned where you are headed on Long Island. Where are you going in? Also want to arrive at a good time. Worst time is usually max ebb.

I would consider going up to NY and then into long island sound.
__________________

jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×