Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Tragedy in Ft Myers

Almost every time we go to Ft Myers beach we see people doing dangerous stuff like this, It was just a matter of time. Very sad. And then to think the husband may end up in jail, I'm kind of torn between if he should face charges or not. Either way he is going to have to live with this for the rest of his life.

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...nt/1996833001/

Old 08-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Be careful of drunken guests onboard.
I am sure her drunken state made the situation much worse.
Drinking to excess is an individuals choice and she was an adult, and probably drank a lot in life. Many drunks think they can handle it, But it handles them. It can eventually catch up to you your behavior, result in death.

Sabo's blood alcohol level at 0.036 (LOW) and Irene Sabo's at 0.207. (HIGH)

A blood-alcohol level of 0.08 is the legal driving or boating under the influence level in Florida. My opinion is was her fault mostly, and he was not high enough to be legally impaired.

Quote:
0.20-0.29%: Stupor, confusion, feeling dazed, and disorientation are common. Standing and walking may require help, as balance and muscle control will have deteriorated significantly. Sensations of pain will change, so if you fall and seriously hurt yourself, you may not notice, and you are less likely to do anything about it. Nausea and vomiting are likely to occur, and the gag reflex will be impaired, which could cause choking or aspirating on vomit. Blackouts begin at this BAC, so you may participate in events that you don’t remember.
Quote:
0.02%: This is the lowest level of intoxication with some measurable impact on the brain and body. You will feel relaxed, experience altered mood, feel a little warmer, and may make poor judgments.
the next designated level is 0.05%
https://www.alcohol.org/effects/bloo...concentration/

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
delete: never mind...
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Like other topics, this will deteriorate into opinions and we probably won't know the actual cause of the fatality.

Even though I don't think all alcohol is the "demons brew", I admit a BAC of 0.2 is beyond my comprehension under normal circumstances.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While a tragedy, the owner / operator of a boat needs to be responsible the SAFE operation of the vessel, safety of those onboard and other vessels and people in the water that the vessel may come in contact with.

I think he should be tried and convicted of maybe involuntary manslaughter; made to pay all associated costs with the incident; given probation and substantial community service.

Punishment isn't only for the guilty, but also serves as a deterrent to others.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
Almost every time we go to Ft Myers beach we see people doing dangerous stuff like this, It was just a matter of time. Very sad. And then to think the husband may end up in jail, I'm kind of torn between if he should face charges or not. Either way he is going to have to live with this for the rest of his life.

Unless the facts are materially different than the newspaper article, it would surprise me if the DA brings charges. His worse crime was being married to a drunk who probably was well on her way to death via liver disease. He has probably suffered enough already.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Tradegy: absolutely!
Fault of the Captain: certainly questionable, and certainly irresponsible.

Bottom line, if on chooses to have drunk people on their boat, the level of responsibility becomes a lot more challenging.

Now, I'm sure he knew her behavior a and could surmise that this was not her first time she got drunk. He did say that he warned her to stay away from the prop, however, being drunk she may not behave predictably. So, get the kid to take mom, and others, clearly on the side of the boat.

Or better yet, put them in the front of the boat. If the boat is stuck where that won't work, it's probably a short 6 hour wait til the tide come back up.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
So, here's the question:

How to you handle folks that get too tipsy on your boat?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
So, here's the question:

If the boat is moving it does not happen.
If the boat is at a dock they get off the boat.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
See it coming and prevent it...sure they can sneak it...but that is rare for newcomers and family or good friends that are drunks don't come or get watched like a hawk.

Like taking drunks on liberty.... you picked the battlefield on many levels.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We used to donate 4-6 hour cruises to charities to be auctioned off at their annual events.

We ended that when one guest got too drunk and jumped off the stern as I was anchoring and ready to back up to set the anchor. Only the shouts of the other guests let me know that something was wrong so I didn't back down.

Had I backed down to set the anchor she certainly would have been sucked into the props.

That was the last charity cruise we did. We decided the liability was just too great.

For myself, if I am going to move the boat I don't drink anything with alcohol in it. There's just too much responsibility and liability. Once we're docked or the anchor is dropped for the night then I'll have something to drink.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
As the skipper of the boat, he is ultimately responsible for the safety of his passengers. If he allows them to get drunk, he is still responsible. As skipper he should not have allowed her to get in that condition in the first place. It may have pissed her off if he cut her off from the drinking but that was his responsibility. Then when they got stuck aground he should have exercised more caution since he knew she had been drinking heavily. He should have made certain that the passengers were completely out of the way before engaging the props. Sad that she got killed but in the end he screwed up. As a skipper you are responsible for everyone on the boat. Just because they got off the boat his responsibility did not end, he was the one that put the boat in gear. He had been drinking to some extent but not legally drunk so his judgment may have been somewhat impaired so he should have slowed down and thought it through. He should have made a plan and communicated it to everyone making sure they understood what was going to happen. He should have assigned someone to keep a watch on the drunk people to ensure that they were in a safe location. Whenever we are going to do an evolution even as simple as docking we make a plan and all agree that we all understand what is going to happen and know to communicate if the plan is not proceeding as planned. With more complex evolutions there should be more planning and communication. As the skipper it is your responsibility and you have to be willing and able to assume that responsibility. Everyone involved with the evolution should be asked for feedback and the feedback taken into consideration and possibly modifying the plan for that evolution. As skipper with 52 years boating experience I don’t always see all the angles and possible outcomes so I need to value everyone’s input. I always ask myself, what could go wrong and what can I do to mitigate the possible dangers. Then I ask everyone else the same thing. Most boaters do not realize their ultimate responsibility but that does not relieve them of that responsibility. Sorry if I sound like I am preaching but I was involved with the CG Auxiliary for 30 years and have seen situations like this up close and try to help boaters understand their responsibility and liabilities.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
So, here's the question:

It's not allowed to happen. I don't like being around inebriated people. I don't host parties on my boat. I don't let people smoke pot on my boat. I've not had more than 3 other people on my boat away from the dock. Nothing wrong with a couple of beers or a bottle of wine with dinner. IMO, if you end up with tipsy people on your boat, you probably new it could happen and chose not to prevent it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #14

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
I'm with you O C I don't like more than 2 people on my small boat, maybe a couple more on the tug, not sure yet on that one. Any more than that just makes it more of a job to me than a day of enjoyment. and I never drink unless anchored for the night or at my own dock. Plus I have a CDL so the legal limits are lower and its just not worth it.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
I loved this quote from the article: "I was closest to the props because I know how to handle myself."
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
We used to donate 4-6 hour cruises to charities to be auctioned off at their annual events........

That was the last charity cruise we did. We decided the liability was just too great. .
Yeah, I get it. I wanted to offer the same to a group of regional disabled vets, but my first offering resulted in so much drama and upset over use of alcohol aboard that I gave up trying to make it work. The last thing I wanted was to loose a genuine hero to an overboard accident, for God’s sake. The waterways here in FL are already dangerous enough.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #17
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
I loved this quote from the article: "I was closest to the props because I know how to handle myself."
Yes, I noticed that quote also. No one should have been close to the props. And the skipper should have made sure of it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
This is it exactly. I and my family don't abuse alcohol and don't associate with those that do.

Since we are responsible for folks who are on our boats, it makes sense to do what it takes to avoid problems.

I would assume that Mrs. Sabo's intoxication was a major contributor to her death. Operating a boat with or around folks like that is a real risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
If the boat is moving it does not happen.
If the boat is at a dock they get off the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #19
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Jeez, I don’t know about this one. I do know that when I’m at the helm I am responsible for all aboard. I do know that I would never tell anyone to get off.

About a month back while taking southerly out to diagnose an over heating issue, I drifted aground. I had 2 other people on board. I called tow boat. I was able to bring her back to the dock under her own power.

Who knows what really happened, but operating a vessel with people in the water requires extreme caution and a risk I am not willing to take, ever.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: We don't allow drinking when boating. However, even for those who disagree with that, I suggest he should be held responsible. As captain, at least to bartender type rules of responsibility for over serving. Also, as captain, responsible for safe operation and for knowing where all his passengers are. "I didn't know where she was". Well, it's your responsibility. So I get involuntary manslaughter out of it.

Now, personally I'd like more. I know .036 is below legal limits but it's not in transportation and even at that rate, drivers are impaired. How much, differs. However, his judgment was lousy whether that played a role or not.

I wouldn't put him in prison for murder for decades. I'd suspend and ban him from operating boats. We don't gain by spending money on him in prison and other family members may need him, but he'd not be allowed to operated a boat ever again and a car for some period of time.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote