Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Boating Safety and Concerns
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
System Monitoring / Alarms - Yacht Protector, Smart Hub, Guardian, Monnit

Looking to install a monitoring / alarm system on Avalon this spring. I'd rather use a product that does not require an ongoing service contract but also don't want to completely custom build a system. Based on my research so far looks like I have two routes to pursue; go with a prepackaged system or build one based on a Home SmartHub (Iris - reviewed Kevin's posts, Samsung SmartThings, etc).

Background -
We cruise mainly in NE (until retirement), 6-7 weeks a summer on extended cruise, otherwise on the boat Friday to Monday most weeks. Really need some piece of mind around systems when away from the boat midweek as we're 60 miles away so a quick stop by the boat after work really isn't an option, most nights anyway.

Requirements
1. Wireless (cellular would be sufficient)
2. Sensors: Water (bilge), VDC (battery), AC (shore power)
3. Ideally leverage existing WIFI network with cellular connectivity

Don't need entry / motion alarms or GPS tracking; which most prepackaged systems seem to be based on or position as most important.

Options I've found so far:
1. Yacht Protector - Packaged solution, don't need entry tracking or motion sensors, requires service agreement - https://www.yachtprotector.com/

2. Marine Guardian - Packaged solution, don't need entry tracking or motion sensors, requires service agreement - Marine Guardian®: Wireless Security System for Boats / Marine Applications - Guardian Systems - Products

3. Smart Home Hubs - Based on my review of Kevin's posts on his Iris solution these are very attractive solutions. However, I have yet to find the exact sensors for battery and shore power monitoring. I understand they can be build from off the self components but I'd really prefer to have a complete off the self solution. The Samsung SmartThings hub looks like the best option but again does not offer all sensors needed - https://www.smartthings.com/?utm_med...campaign=brand

4. Monnit - This company offers all the sensors needed and does not require an annual service agreement. However its a closed system and operates on 900mhz so not sure its as expandable as I'd like. Options available to leverage existing WIFI network - Low Cost Remote Monitoring Solutions | Monnit Corp.

Each option has its benefits which is making the decision more complex.

Yacht Protector & Marine Guardian - seems simple to install and operate, larger initial investment, requires contract and is closed system.

Smart Hubs - lower initial cost, requires some setup / programming, doesn't offer all off the self sensors needed, would work on existing WIFI network, likely most expandable - cameras etc.

Monnit - Most attractive closed system as does not require service agreement but likely is limited in expansion as works on 900mhz.

Anyone have thoughts on my options or solutions I may have overlooked?
AvalonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Nautic Alert

Came across another option for bilge and battery monitoring, Nautic Alert. Also include gps and replaces the mechanical float switches on our bilge pumps. Very interesting solution although it's a bit more than I planned to spend.

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on Nautic Alert?

https://www.nauticalert.com

Thanks
Tim
AvalonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Your post seems to have summarized it well.

I really like my Lowes Iris system, but I'll admint that the contact closure interface is not the best.

They do keep coming out with new modeules though. One they just added recently is a 40 amp contactor module. It seems to solve the issue of controlling things that do not plug in using a power cord.

If they come out with a contact closure sensor I'll be the first onboard.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Talk with these folks, they are boat savvy

Cell Phone & Email Alert : AQUALARM, Warning Systems For Land And Sea

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
The CEO of Digital Yacht came to my boat for a visit last week. We talked about some of the marine electronics things happening - they're a pretty major player of interfacing devices.

The subject of remote monitoring (underway and while at a marina and remote) came up as the big thing that's happening next. If you need something immediately, there are a few products available - nice list above in the previous post. Otherwise, I'd watch the developments in this area because the pricing and capabilities are about to take a generational change in the next year.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote