Solar Panel Fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
an interesting read, its not the panels, but the downstream equipment where the problems seem to originate.

Doesn't identify the third party vendors or equipment types specified unfortunately, but likely a quality control issue with the installer.

These are pretty different systems than what we've got on our boats, FWIW - much higher voltages.

Doesn't identify the third party vendors or equipment types specified unfortunately, but likely a quality control issue with the installer.

These are pretty different systems than what we've got on our boats, FWIW - much higher voltages.

I briefly looked into installing solar on our roof until tree shading killed that idea. Yes, residential/commercial solar is much different than what we install on our boats. Integrated micro controller/inverters for one.

David

It may be a case of low bidding getting the jobs. The lowest bid isn’t always the cheapest…

If Amazon is going to spend tens, maybe a hundred million $ installing solar panels, you think that they would spec if right and monitor the installation for compliance. I suspect it is caused by a weird, maybe unique fault with the installation.

David

Jeff Bezos: “Where did you buy this crap solar stuff catching fire?!”
Contractor: “It was the cheapest junk they had on Amazon that you sell to everyone else.”
Jeff Bezos: “D’Oh!”

Jeff Bezos: “Where did you buy this crap solar stuff catching fire?!”
Contractor: “It was the cheapest junk they had on Amazon that you sell to everyone else.”
Jeff Bezos: “D’Oh!”

LOL! Maybe they shouldn't have put 100MW of CHICIRIS modules on the roof...

Edit... should have gone with the TWELSEAVAN - much better quality.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...333Gty2cUDjphNxB2vitCYrNQl&id=100064331007155

IMG_7593.JPG

The issue is most likely caused by the roof-mounted micro-inverters for each panel/zone and associated wiring. All it takes is a loose connection. Just like a shore power cable. Micro-inverters are more efficient but also more failure prone. For instance, with 100 panels and 100 microinverters your MTBF (mean time between failures) just got divided by 100.

However, shorts in solar panels themselves can happen too.

We have a 10kW/ 40 panel array operating continuously for the last 12 years. It is ground mounted, so easier to install/inspect/maintain. Out of 40 panels with 60 solar cells each, I noticed one anomaly recently. A single cell seemed to short internally, producing heat and discoloration. The local cell temperature at the short was 205 deg F, the rest of the panels were at 110 deg F (on a 75 deg F day). On a hot day at noon, temperatures would be significantly higher.

There is not enough current flowing for a single cell short to cause a fire, but a multi-cell short definitely could. Good idea to keep your panels in a large high-voltage array away from combustible materials.

Attachments

• IMG_4394.jpg
    IMG_4394.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'm getting ready to install solar panels. Each type of panel has a fuse rating. In my case 15 and 20 amp panels. These fuses are in line mc-4 type (separate purchase). I'm wondering if this would stop this type of incident, and if so, why not have a mandatory built in fuse, or fuse holder (for series and parallel installations)?

No fuse? Please explain

He means that there does not exist a fuse which would protect against a short that occurs within the panel itself.

The issue is most likely caused by the roof-mounted micro-inverters for each panel/zone and associated wiring. All it takes is a loose connection. Just like a shore power cable. Micro-inverters are more efficient but also more failure prone. For instance, with 100 panels and 100 microinverters your MTBF (mean time between failures) just got divided by 100.

However, shorts in solar panels themselves can happen too.

We have a 10kW/ 40 panel array operating continuously for the last 12 years. It is ground mounted, so easier to install/inspect/maintain. Out of 40 panels with 60 solar cells each, I noticed one anomaly recently. A single cell seemed to short internally, producing heat and discoloration. The local cell temperature at the short was 205 deg F, the rest of the panels were at 110 deg F (on a 75 deg F day). On a hot day at noon, temperatures would be significantly higher.

There is not enough current flowing for a single cell short to cause a fire, but a multi-cell short definitely could. Good idea to keep your panels in a large high-voltage array away from combustible materials.

I installed a system on my house 6 years ago. I was the local building inspector at the time and had unusual access to the contractors. I was advised to ignore the minimum electrical code and increase conductor ampacity across the board. I did so and everything has been fine. We have seen a couple fires on commercial installations. I didn't get into the weeds but I suspect those systems were done on bid and therefore everything was done to minimum code. A small investment in wire gauge may be cheaper in the long run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom