So uh… I found a dead body in a river yesterday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
It had already been a long day. After an overnight transit of the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers, I’d had a 5 hour nap, and had successfully gotten my vessel into Cleveland.

We were doing a a somewhat unusual split unload. We’d offload about half of our cargo at one dock, then head up the river to offload the rest. We do them regularly in other ports, but rarely in Cleveland.

The unload is normally a time I get to relax or catch up on work. This one was a little stressful though. Our cargo of stone was contaminated by a small amount of coal from our previous load. This was completely our fault and could potentially have cost the company a meaningful amount of money. Fortunately this situation wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but I still had to spend some time on the phone doing damage control, and I had to write up some of my crew.

After that kerfuffle, we prepared to depart for the second unload dock. There were several delays. The tug we’d ordered had broken down, and the crew had to scramble a replacement vessel. Another ship, a cement carrier, was also making its way into Cleveland, and we had to wait for him. Then the NS rail bridge made us wait for the worlds slowest train to cross the bridge, stop, then slink slowly back from whence it came.

After all that there was another delay, which I had been expecting. There was another freighter up the river that I wouldn’t be able to pass. I’d have to wait for them to finish unloading and back down the river. We tied up at the holding pier in the outer harbor, shut down the engines, knocked the deck crew off, and waited. It took them forever, and it was midnight before they were finally clear.

I went though my pre departure checklist and noticed that we had a problem with one of our steering gear pumps. We have two, and normally use both of them when we’re maneuvering, since it speeds up the rudder responsiveness quite a bit. It’s nice to have both, but really we only need one to get the job done. The second one is there primarily as a redundancy. Without that redundancy, I wasn’t sure I was legally allowed to sail. The Chief Engineer got to work troubleshooting, and I started waking up my shoreside support team.

I spent a few hours making my reports to the company and the coast guard and coordinating repairs. We’d be waiting for some electricians to come down, so I took advantage of the downtime, and got a few hours of sleep.

By 0730, repairs had been made, and we started our long, tedious four hour trip up the tight and twisty Cuyahoga River.

It started off smoothly enough. The weather was good, the current in the river was low, and the ship was handling well.

There was a moment of excitement while passing through the Center Street swing bridge. It’s one of the narrowest points in the transit, and we have about 10-15 feet of clearance on either side of the ship.

Well, as Murphy would have it, this was the spot where my wheelsman had to have a brain fart, and put the wheel hard left, when I’d asked for hard right. It took a few shouts and a big handful of throttle, but we managed not to touch anything. Just.

This would have been the most notable part of the trip under normal circumstances.

Unfortunately the river just didn’t feel like being normal that day.

I’d just finished making my least favorite turn in the river. It’s a tight left hander that takes place largely under the route 90 overpass. I was just getting lined up to pass under the West Third Street bridge when I saw something in the water.

There hasn’t been much debris in the water that day, making this thing fairly conspicuous. It caught my eye.

‘What the hell is that?’ I asked, more to myself than anyone in particular.

My first mate, who I’ve been training to move up to captain, had been observing the transit. He’d noticed the floating object too.

‘That… looks like a person.’ He said.

I had the helmsman bring out the binoculars. I had a good long look. It took my brain some time to digest what I was seeing. It did look like a person, but it looked… weird.

He was the wrong color. I could tell from his features that he was a black man, but he was a dark ashy gray color, like he was made of wet clay.

I couldn’t tell if it was real or not. It almost looked like a dummy or a mannequin. I thought maybe it was some very tasteless prank. Somebody threw this thing in the river as a really funny joke.

But the longer I looked, the more convinced I was that this had been a person. He was wearing a dark blue suit. It was still fairly clean, too. He was a clean cut fella. Probably late 30s, early 40s. And there he was, slowly making his way down the River.

I called the coast guard for the second time that day. They asked me a hundred questions. Was he wearing a PFD? No. Was he conscious? Definitely not. I passed along all the information I could, but I couldn't stick around. I had to keep moving. I still had a couple of hours of tricky navigating to do.

The coast guard made their broadcasts about a ‘person in the water in a blue shirt.’ Emergency vehicles descended on the area, and coast guard small boats crowded up the River. I started hearing the word ‘victim’ on channel 22a, and that removed all doubt.

They fished him out, and that was the last I heard about it. I checked the news but didn’t find much. I perused the Cleveland area missing persons list, but couldn’t get myself to look at that for very long.

I’ve since found myself wishing I could talk to the poor guy, find out who he was and how he ended up that way. I don’t suppose there’s much chance of that though.

What a day.

Last edited:
What a day. Good work on the lookout. Too bad for the man in the water.

Sounds like ya done good in all respects (the trying circumstances leading up to the twisty river, the tricky route, and spotting the poor fellow in the river). :flowers:

I took a look, and found mention of what looks like the same person, but not much beyond that:

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/09/13/coast-guard-pulls-body-out-cuyahoga-river/

Frosty

PS: I grew up watching lakers and so hearing your detail from on the ship is fascinating.

Of course sorry for the man in water.

Maybe too soon, but I wonder what happened to the sailboat

You did well observing,the family may thank you for preserving the integrity of the body. But,an unnerving experience nevertheless.

Wow what a day! I hope tomorrow is better.

Another well written thread Dave. Sorry about the subject matter. Unfortunately we read about these things all too often. Really gets you thinking when you see something like that.
Glad that you are still posting.

Boy that's got to be very unsettling, even from a distance. I remember when I was a commercial diver working on traveling water screens at the Con Ed plant in Astoria (NY), the night shift crew had a body come up on the screens (part of the outer trash racks had been removed for the rehab or it wouldn't have come through). The police and coroner crew had everything cleared by morning but it sure made us uneasy diving in that location again until the job was done.

Some days don't go as planned. You certainly had a stressful one. Worth remembering that the man in the water had a worse day. (not being flippant or callous) No doubt his family appreciates the notification and recovery.

Puts all our days in perspective. Some work is harder than others, but at least we're all alive and not drifting dead in a river somewhere. I do hope his family/friends find peace for him.

I’ve seen enough death. I hope to live out the rest of my life never seeing it again...

Thanks for an interesting account of working your way up the crooked Cuyahoga, in my hometown. A grim and sad encounter, for sure. A relief captain I used to work with was formerly a cop with NYPD. When working the police boats in NY harbor, he said they recovered "floaters" on just about every shift - all told, hundreds each year. According to him, they got used to it.

While I hope you will feel inclined to lend your hand to detailing more of your shipping days from time to time, hearing about your boating adventures is more phun. I want to hear about the modifications your were gonna make in Jax and how all that came out.

Quite an amazing story about that body. Sorry you had to deal with such an encounter!

Damn Dave. Your job navigating that big ship in a twisty river with all kinds of Murphy thrown at you sounds super stressful to me. I couldn’t do it— I’m too high strung.

Dave,
What is the name of your ship? I will keep an eye out for you as I am regularly in the channels from PH to Detroit. I also went to school in Traverse City back in the late 70's and most of my friends were maritime cadets. I have a very deep connection with freighters on the GL's. The freighter my grandfather built for me to pull on the beach just up from Sarnia is proudly displayed in my den. I have rescued several people from the water in our area, but fortunately have never had to deal with a death. Hopefully you are one and done.
Bill

Dave,
What is the name of your ship? I will keep an eye out for you as I am regularly in the channels from PH to Detroit. I also went to school in Traverse City back in the late 70's and most of my friends were maritime cadets. I have a very deep connection with freighters on the GL's. The freighter my grandfather built for me to pull on the beach just up from Sarnia is proudly displayed in my den. I have rescued several people from the water in our area, but fortunately have never had to deal with a death. Hopefully you are one and done.
Bill

I hope so too! I’m on the Manitowoc. Feel free to come out and say hi sometime! Blowing the whistle is my favorite part of the job, lol.

Old saying in medicine. Patient is guessing, internist thinks he knows, pathologist knows all. Would await autopsy which is required given setting. Color noted suggests possible exsanguination before immersion. If you’re interested obtain the M.E.s report or a summary of it. Determining if this gentleman died in the water or prior is usually not hard to establish.

Old saying in medicine. Patient is guessing, internist thinks he knows, pathologist knows all. Would await autopsy which is required given setting. Color noted suggests possible exsanguination before immersion. If you’re interested obtain the M.E.s report or a summary of it. Determining if this gentleman died in the water or prior is usually not hard to establish.

Pathologists understandably view anesthesia as a waste of time and money. I don't need to know everything that's wrong with me that badly, so for now I'll settle for the mere opinions of internists.

B- don’t understand your post. Thread is about seeing a deceased person. Don’t know a single pathologist who thinks anesthesia is a waste of time. Although different now when I trained you needed to do training in internal medicine after Med school before switching over to neurology. For so many diseases you are dependent upon a clinical lab (bloodwork goes to a clinical lab run by a pathologist as does all biopsies and surgical specimens ) to achieve a correct diagnosis or confirm it. Internists could not function without the support of pathologists.
Forensic pathology is its own sub specialty. In this thread it’s the report of that individual that will define cause of death and give clues as to events immediately preceding demise. I gave that old saw to point out conjecture as to what occurred here is mental masturbation to some degree until the autopsy results are known. Nothing more and nothing less.

Reread post #22 a bit more from the tongue in cheek view. ;)

B- don’t understand your post. Thread is about seeing a deceased person. Don’t know a single pathologist who thinks anesthesia is a waste of time.

Sorry, Hippo - the reference to pathologists was with those MDs in mind who perform clinical autopsies. They don't use anesthesia because they see patients who will never again complain about discomfort. I was aiming for dry humor, which can be risky.

In Scott Turow's legal mystery novel, "Presumed Innocent," a character appears as an expert medical witness who is a forensic pathologist, Dr. Tatsuo Kumagai, whose nickname is “Painless Kumagai." That dim but funny memory inspired my dim witticism.

No I should apologize. The joke went over my head. When in Med school (NYU) worked at the CME for Manhattan to help pay the freight. While there there was a necrophilia ring. Heard nothing but sarcastic jokes from my friends during that time. Since then overly sensitive which was inappropriate here. So my apologies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom