Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
FWT
Scraping Paint

City: Centreville
The Sinking Of The Norwester

A sad sight to see.

Watch to the end to learn of the boat's history.

FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Sad on so many levels.

We lucked out and went over some thin water in our first summer of boating, so won't go pointing fingers as to how this happened. The only question I have is: no dinghy big enough for the number of people aboard?

It's bad enough that people would be filming from other boats, but to also have a professional film crew aboard the sinking boat is cruel irony.

Wish them well, and that the vessel can be saved...then they can shop the whole story in Hollywood.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Where were the high capacity pumps with which the USCG could have used in an attempt to keep her afloat while towing to a yard? It just looks like everybody is standing around with their thumbs hitched in their belts in exceptionally benign water conditions. Also makes me wonder whether there was anybody aboard with the knowledge oh how to attempt slowing the water ingress.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Where were the high capacity pumps with which the USCG could have used in an attempt to keep her afloat while towing to a yard? It just looks like everybody is standing around with their thumbs hitched in their belts in exceptionally benign water conditions. Also makes me wonder whether there was anybody aboard with the knowledge oh how to attempt slowing the water ingress.

Right. It looked like almost any extra pump capacity could have saved it. I'm surprised the sheriff's boat didn't have a portable pump, and doubly surprised the Tow Boat US boat didn't have one.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Guru

Old 04-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Rich - Thank you for saying that... you took the words right out of my mouth!!

What was wrong with everyone?? The water ingress could have been slowed and high volume gasoline pumps should have been brought aboard. Some sort of emergency actions to get pumps on board seems to have had plenty time available. Heck... every owner of a pump or store that carries pumps would most likely be honored to assist in stopping that boat from sinking.

GEEEZZZZ!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Northwest Nevada, currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Right. It looked like almost any extra pump capacity could have saved it. I'm surprised the sheriff's boat didn't have a portable pump, and doubly surprised the Tow Boat US boat didn't have one.
Heh. Im not surprised about the Whatcom SO boat, but yes Id expect a professional towing service to have one. Im also surprised that a USCG response boat didnt make the scene in that area, from Bellingham. Maybe they are who boomed it later.
Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
What the heck were they doing trying to run over that shoal???
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
That is really the question.

I wasnt there so I cant judge. It just appears that there was plenty of time to turn the main engine into a water pump and to start stuffing things into the breach, maybe that was already attempted.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Lost situational awareness...had an electronic chart zoomed out too far...depth alarms not set or not loud enough, etc...
Old 04-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
That is sad. Coincidentally Boat International magazine published a photo of John Wayne coming off that boat just a few issues ago.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #12
Guru

City: Northwest Nevada, currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Lost situational awareness...had an electronic chart zoomed out too far...depth alarms not set or not loud enough, etc...
....actively filming for their video they supposedly are producing?
Alaskaflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Sad to see this. Just motored by Norwester a week ago at her moorage in the Swinomish Channel.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I had to refresh my memory. It was a 2018 issue of Boat Int, and wasn't the Norwester. The photo they ran was John Wayne's bigger boat that he bought after Norwester, his 147' Wild Goose.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210425_154953.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	117013
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The Admiral read somewhere today that the captain claimed he crossed an unmarked shoal.

Really sad. What a beautiful yacht.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
Guru

This article states:

Quote:
...The night before, their chart plotter was updated and read that their path was clear...
https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5392...n-juan-islands

We don't have a chart plotter. Is it possible that they plotted their course for the day from start to finish and it all "looked good" at a scale which showed the whole days run?

Once you've plotted your course for a days run, should you then zoom in on it so the subtler bottom details appear on the screen, then go over the days course again to double check for bottom details that may not have appeared at the original scale?

Just trying to understand...
Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
This article states:

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5392...n-juan-islands

We don't have a chart plotter. Is it possible that they plotted their course for the day from start to finish and it all "looked good" at a scale which showed the whole days run?

Once you've plotted your course for a days run, should you then zoom in on it so the subtler bottom details appear on the screen, then go over the days course again to double check for bottom details that may not have appeared at the original scale?

Just trying to understand...
I think you may be right Murray. Sad result. Not prepared? San Juans have a lot of reefs and rock shoals which are all documented.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Looking at the wreck relative to that point, man were they close!! I would not venture anywhere near such a point unless I was dang sure it was solid water below. Looks like a rookie move.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #19
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Now there is a Go Fund Me for it. https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-wayn...rwester-rescue

"The Norwester, a beloved and historic 76-foot boat iconic to the Pacific Northwest, hit unmarked rocks near the San Juan Islands on April 17, 2021."

Unmarked? Yup. Uncharted. Nope.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
There are no unmarked rocks or shoals in the Puget Sound or San Juan Islands. Update or no update the rocks have never moved and I have never seen any raster or vector charts that were missing data in this area.

What I see all the time is people plotting courses at a high level and not realizing they just plotted over a reef. I make a point to review all my routes zoomed in just to make sure I don't fall victim to such a mistake.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote