Old 05-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #61
Guru

City: Vermont
Here is the 2017 C-map chart of the area, as displayed by Coastal Explorer. The Norwester's charts were just updated, according to them, and I think it's highly unlikely that the shoal was removed from c-map charts after this 2017 version.

So Garmin, Navionics, NOAA raster, NOAA vector, and c-map all show the shoal. Who else's charts could they have been using?
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Old 05-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #62

City: Seattle
I don't have any details on the C-Map chart other than it's "older". I can't find the original comment regarding the chart issue on Facebook any longer. I think it has been deleted. But my recollection is that they were using Garmin charts.

On the subject of charts, I'm sure that's a topic which has been well-covered here so I won't rehash it other than to say that I've been using NOAA RNC and ENC charts with OpenCPN for the past few years, backed up with a paper chart atlas. (I'm resigned to the raster chart phase out but will always keep the old charts around if only for the nostalgia value.)

As for Norwester, sadly she's done. Back broken. Owners have reportedly given up on salvaging her. I expect she will break up completely before they will be able to get her off that rock but either way she's beyond saving with any reasonable effort.

(Photo by Justin Mosely)
clstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #63
Guru

Looks like it's been stripped clean.

Doesn't the owner still have a responsibility to clean up the wreck?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #64
Guru

Looks like it's been stripped clean. That was efficient of them.

Doesn't the owner still have the responsibility to clean up the wreck?

And I guess they get to keep the gofundme money, right? And the insurance money? Or does that get donated to cancer research?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
There are 3 updates from the owner on the Go Fund Me page. This is the latest one.......
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 7.56.03 AM.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #66

Huh. Well, for all the voyeurs and cynics that will undoubtedly come out here I hope you never have to experience the loss of your vessel and consequent exposure to the critical commentary of the more fortunate. But by all means, let's investigate the finances of the owners, their moral culpability, fecklessness and general failure to live up to our standards under the guise of "Boating Safety and Concerns."

Edit: or just go read the post above for a better perspective.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by clstevens View Post
Huh. Well, for all the voyeurs and cynics that will undoubtedly come out here I hope you never have to experience the loss of your vessel and consequent exposure to the critical commentary of the more fortunate. But by all means, let's investigate the finances of the owners, their moral culpability, fecklessness and general failure to live up to our standards under the guise of "Boating Safety and Concerns."

Edit: or just go read the post above for a better perspective.
Seems to me that any time something bad happens folks want to delve into the reasons why.

Since the public was asked to help (using a go fund me account) the public then gets to ask about the finances.

Why is it that when somebody makes a mistake and they loose their boat that they try to pass the blame to anybody other than themselves?

Perhaps because of a pending insurance claim they feel might be in jeopardy. Perhaps just simple pride.

Sometimes we just need to admit our mistakes and move forward, never to make that same mistake again. If we can share that mistake so perhaps someone else does not have to go through the same ordeal, even better.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #68
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
She is gone..

The boat went down last night. Was there last night about 7:00 pm. Went out fishing this morning and not a sign it was ever there.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Seems to me that any time something bad happens folks want to delve into the reasons why.

Since the public was asked to help (using a go fund me account) the public then gets to ask about the finances.

Why is it that when somebody makes a mistake and they loose their boat that they try to pass the blame to anybody other than themselves?

Perhaps because of a pending insurance claim they feel might be in jeopardy. Perhaps just simple pride.

Sometimes we just need to admit our mistakes and move forward, never to make that same mistake again. If we can share that mistake so perhaps someone else does not have to go through the same ordeal, even better.
Reasonable enough. My beef is not with the urge to learn more but with urge to judge the people involved based on incomplete (or a complete lack of) actual information. And to be fair, the comments here have been mild compared to the vitriol that was posted on Facebook. I was pretty shocked at how vicious some people were so perhaps I'm overreacting in compensation. And anyway there is no particular honor in being a scold either. I'll relinquish the soap box.

My takeaway? Know your marks and hazards-to-navigation, know the state of the wind, tide, current strength and direction, know where you are and where you are headed, don't hit anything. None of which are new skills or requirements for safety on the water. And everyone should read "The Elements of Seamanship" by Roger Tayor, and keep a copy at the helm for a regular refresh just in case of complacency.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clstevens View Post
Reasonable enough. My beef is not with the urge to learn more but with urge to judge the people involved based on incomplete (or a complete lack of) actual information. And to be fair, the comments here have been mild compared to the vitriol that was posted on Facebook. I was pretty shocked at how vicious some people were so perhaps I'm overreacting in compensation. And anyway there is no particular honor in being a scold either. I'll relinquish the soap box.

My takeaway? Know your marks and hazards-to-navigation, know the state of the wind, tide, current strength and direction, know where you are and where you are headed, don't hit anything. None of which are new skills or requirements for safety on the water. And everyone should read "The Elements of Seamanship" by Roger Tayor, and keep a copy at the helm for a regular refresh just in case of complacency.
I'll help a little with that...

Regarding hitting the reef, that is a no brainer. Simple human error. Any attempt to defend it will be met with droves of people countering that defense. Better to admit error and help with lessons learned.

Then we have the questions regarding why no dewatering activities occurred.
That question was made based on the information that we had available at the time.

Why ask??? Many of us carry high capacity dewatering pumps on our boats with the hope that we never have to deploy them.

So it is a rightful question to ask why????

Then as often the case, more information becomes available and we realize that a high capacity pump would have been useless in this situation.

Please also remember that Here on TF the demographic is different than FB. Here you are around a group of very experienced boaters, with many or most here having decades of boating and navigation experience. People with in depth experience ask tough questions and demand straight awnsers.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #71
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
Sad, I loved John Wayne, and the great Americas from that era. That's what the boat represented to me.

https://thenorwester.com

https://www.king5.com/article/entert...seum/313012614

Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #72

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
(QUOTE): And to be fair, the comments here have been mild compared to the vitriol that was posted on Facebook. I was pretty shocked at how vicious some people were so perhaps I'm overreacting in compensation. And anyway there is no particular honor in being a scold either. I'll relinquish the soap box.

That is an easy fix. Delete your Facebook account. That is what I did over 6 months ago and could not be happier.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #73
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
New to this thread - our 7 year old I Pad Navionics charts clearly show the area in question.

This thread once again causes me to keep our paper charts for the cruising area open and observed. Plus we're running two plotters and two depth sounders. We also have the charting laptop displayed on the TV for those that may be eating a meal or generally loafing.

It would seem the lessons learned for these types of incidents are well worth sharing with crew, spouses etc.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #74

Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
The boat went down last night. Was there last night about 7:00 pm. Went out fishing this morning and not a sign it was ever there.

It floated off and has been seen up across the Canadian border. The USCG issued a broadcast notice to mariners for the navigational hazard.
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #75
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz View Post
It floated off and has been seen up across the Canadian border. The USCG issued a broadcast notice to mariners for the navigational hazard.
Yes she has drifted into Canadian water off Haro Strait by Sidney Island as shown on the the Navigation Warning website here, shown as the Norwester surrounded with by an pollution boom.........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #76
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Fair Play
Vessel Model: 1960 Taley 40' cruiser
Off of Gooch Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210502-175219_Facebook.jpg  
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #77
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Boy, that's an even even sadder ending to a boat with so much history. I suppose all that wood is buoyant but I keep thinking somebody should shoot that boat and give it a graceful descent to a deep resting place.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #78
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
So how does it float off all on it's own? Seems it would have been a good idea to anchor it so it didn't become a navigation hazard, or try pulling it off at high tide once it had been unloaded/stripped. The tides over the past few days were slightly lower than the previous days by 6" or so.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #79
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
A question I'm wanting answered is who is the insurance carrier? I don't want coverage by a carrier who won't deal with this kind of thing promptly and properly. Maybe the issue is the policy the owner took out. Maybe he didn't read the fine print.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
A question I'm wanting answered is who is the insurance carrier? I don't want coverage by a carrier who won't deal with this kind of thing promptly and properly. Maybe the issue is the policy the owner took out. Maybe he didn't read the fine print.
It is not the insurance carriers job to make arrangements for salvage, pollution cleanup, etc...

That is YOUR job as a boat owner. YOU are liable for the results of your boat accident.

The insurance companies job is to write the checks based on your policy language.