Old 05-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
So how does it float off all on it's own? Seems it would have been a good idea to anchor it so it didn't become a navigation hazard, or try pulling it off at high tide once it had been unloaded/stripped. The tides over the past few days were slightly lower than the previous days by 6" or so.
The dive survey video clearly showed the diver going down the anchor chain. He didn't go to the anchor itself, but I presume that when the boat hit the rock it was not yet deployed.
One more thing you need to remember, the anchor doesn't set itself.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #82
Guru

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
It is not the insurance carriers job to make arrangements for salvage, pollution cleanup, etc...

That is YOUR job as a boat owner. YOU are liable for the results of your boat accident.

The insurance companies job is to write the checks based on your policy language.
That is worthy of its own thread! I can make a float plan easy, but I've never really considered making a "sinking" plan beyond the usual preserve lives and some stuff. You definitely got the gears turning in my head. There's a bunch of easy stuff, and maybe/likely some stuff I haven't considered.

The retirement lifestyle for this boats owners just got ruined, I don't want to see that happen to me, or anybody else here.

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #83
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
With all due respect to every post entered on this thread [including my previous one; that was stated before I saw the video displaying just how totally demolished the entire keel and bottom was due to the collision].

I smell something fishy, about several instances regarding this tragedy.

Wishing the best for everyone involved.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #84
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
It is not the insurance carriers job to make arrangements for salvage, pollution cleanup, etc...

That is YOUR job as a boat owner. YOU are liable for the results of your boat accident.

The insurance companies job is to write the checks based on your policy language.
See post 65. The update by the owner where he states "Litigation with insurance will determine what salvaging will be done"

That is why I asked the question. I don't want to be covered by an insurer I have to fight with.

Seems to me the owner has conducted himself well post grounding by having fuel and black water pumped off. And removing things that will float off. Why is his underwriter balking at covering salvage? I take salvage to mean wreck removal. Not saving the boat for restoration.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Long Island, NY
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: In Search of a 40'er!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trihartsfield View Post
That is an easy fix. Delete your Facebook account. That is what I did over 6 months ago and could not be happier.
Better yet, don’t even have a Facebook account in the first place!! Facebook, Twitter, instatweetbook,,, whatever, IT IS ALL GARBAGE! All the “social media” crap is nothing but garbage, and a disgrace to mankind’s intelligence. Stay off ALL OF IT. Especially now, with all the censorship that’s going on in it all. These company’s think they own and run the planet. They are doing nothing but harming everyone.

This coming from a semi-retired IT professional with 40 years of IT experience. If you never listen to a word I say, I would never blame you as I’m just another little guy in a big town! BUT PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS POST.

As for this yacht going down,HORRIBLE! Looked like such a sweet hull! What a bummer! My GUESS would be the zoom level was the issue, OR, really old chartplotter and software being used which didn’t have detail on it. Kind of like a “basemap” that used to come on plotters, and you would then buy a detailed chart chip to get better resolution. It amazes me how many people actually use the old “basemap” that came on the plotter that was on the boat when they bought it.

Will be interesting to see what they were using....
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #86

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Carpello
Vessel Model: 34' Camano - Ledford Bros. 1976
This was recently posted from the “Bitter End Blog” on FB:

“Nor’wester is now May 4th 8:30am about 80 ft from the west Henry Island shore, doing 360 slow turns in the back eddy current, slightly headed north. N48 36.023 / W123 12.097

Thanks to Justin Mosley for info.

Emilie Rankin photos.”Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	117371Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4023.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	117372
Carpello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #87
Veteran Member

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Better yet, don’t even have a Facebook account in the first place!! Facebook, Twitter, instatweetbook,,, whatever, IT IS ALL GARBAGE! All the “social media” crap is nothing but garbage, and a disgrace to mankind’s intelligence. Stay off ALL OF IT. Especially now, with all the censorship that’s going on in it all. These company’s think they own and run the planet. They are doing nothing but harming everyone.

This coming from a semi-retired IT professional with 40 years of IT experience. If you never listen to a word I say, I would never blame you as I’m just another little guy in a big town! BUT PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS POST.....
Boy I couldn't agree more.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #88
Guru

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpello View Post
This was recently posted from the “Bitter End Blog” on FB:

“Nor’wester is now May 4th 8:30am about 80 ft from the west Henry Island shore, doing 360 slow turns in the back eddy current, slightly headed north. N48 36.023 / W123 12.097

Thanks to Justin Mosley for info.

Emilie Rankin photos.”Attachment 117371Attachment 117372
Looks like she is slowing sinking as there is no super structure showing like there was yesterday.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #89
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Funny how boats are just inanimate objects but those two views are depressing to see, and it's not even my boat.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Long Island, NY
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: In Search of a 40'er!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Funny how boats are just inanimate objects but those two views are depressing to see, and it's not even my boat.
Boat lives matter!!

It really is sad to see those pics, it was a gorgeous looking boat, just a few days ago. Sad!
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #91
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Where were the high capacity pumps with which the USCG could have used in an attempt to keep her afloat while towing to a yard? It just looks like everybody is standing around with their thumbs hitched in their belts in exceptionally benign water conditions. Also makes me wonder whether there was anybody aboard with the knowledge oh how to attempt slowing the water ingress.

After reading all the threads and see the GoFundMe posting, I’d say this is mighty suspicious. It would be interesting to see if there was anything of high value onboard or if any of that had been previously removed.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #92

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:

+1 Thanks Kevin.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #93
Veteran Member

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
Offering a few pointers for new boaters to consider has they read through this tragic account. This seems like a situation where everybody loses and there are no winners. Some of my points may help some of the folks with less sea time under their belts.
1. Just because you have the latest a greatest electronic device to display chart data doesn't mean the chart data is the latest and greatest.
2. Charts are not perfect, every rock or part of a reef may not be charted. If a group of rocks is shown expect other uncharted rocks close by like 25-100feet.
3. Charts in some developing countries may be based on soundings from ages ago and the will not match GPS coordinates. The general shape of an island may be correct but it may be 1/4 mile off from it's actual location. Yes an island may be a 1/4 or more off from where it's suppose to be.
4. You need to pay attention to your surroundings and think. In the picture attached note rock A, if you see something like that anywhere on the west coast of the U.S., Canada or Alaska consider that there may be a similar rock below the surface close by. In the picture look at the red line B. If a shoreline that gradually slopes into the water expect the underwater contour to be similar. These are not absolute statements but general guidelines that can help keep you out of trouble. Do you really want to be running at speed going by rock A and do you want to cross line B? Even if the chart shows that it's clear use the clues that mother nature gives you to evaluate the situation. If you have a choice stay away from rock A and don't cross line B. Also consider the event of a mechanical failure close to a rock or reef that could do you harm. It's my opinion the Norwester was running close to shore to create compelling marketing material. Running close to a rocky shore is not a best practice, again I am guessing they were running the shoreline for a specific purpose. Think about if you lose your steering how many minutes or seconds you may have before you smack a rock. If you have the ability to give yourself some space from danger do it.
5. If you have to go through an area that you are unsure of go check it out with a dinghy first and get soundings. No depth sounder in the dinghy, no problem use a thin rope and weight(lead fishing weight, wrench, rock in a bag) After you confirm a viable path then bring the big boat through.
6. If you have no dinghy, kayak or other vessel to scout with go dead slow like 1 or 2 knots. Click the in and out of gear, if you're going to clip a rock with your prop it's better to do it in neutral than in gear. There is usually a big difference in hitting something at 1 knot vs 5, 10 or 20 knots.

Stay safe gang.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock.jpg  
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #94
Veteran Member

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
[QUOTE=Birdman;1002024]Boat lives matter!!

OMG, I laughed out loud!!
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #95
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
6. If you have no dinghy, kayak or other vessel to scout with go dead slow like 1 or 2 knots. Click the in and out of gear, if you're going to clip a rock with your prop it's better to do it in neutral than in gear. There is usually a big difference in hitting something at 1 knot vs 5, 10 or 20 knots.

And if doing this and you're getting close to minimum comfortable depth, put someone on the bow, especially if the water is clear-ish. They may not be able to accurately judge depth, but you at least have a shot at knowing about and avoiding anything that's sticking up from the bottom.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #96
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OMG - Image from RedRascal on post 93 tells just how dumb the captain was... or how clever... depending on "things"; that may or may never come to light.

Video [clstevens - post #32] showing how totally damaged the entire keel and bottom was stem to stern shows either fairly high speed collision or a very poorly maintained bottom [rot, old fasteners maybe] or a combination of both??

This whole situation is sad and leaves a lot of questions!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #97
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
One article reported that the Coast Guard requested they drop their anchor so the boat didn't float away. And in the first video posted here you could see the anchor chain was out.

Why do you suppose the anchor was retrieved or released, allowing the boat to float away? Maybe it was taken as part of stripping the boat?
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #98

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
It looked to me from the diver video that the anchor was dropped straight down with no scope at all. If it was still deployed its unlikely it did much good, but the diver mentioned they had put a stern anchor down as well so was that also not correctly deployed? Hard to believe they didn't set the stern anchor but I suppose anything is possible.
Something doesn't make sense with the whole anchoring situation.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #99
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
This article has a drone video following the vessel before the strike and after. That drone would have video of the strike as it occurred.
https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5395...n-juan-islands

https://norwesterfoundation.org/
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #100
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
2. Charts are not perfect, every rock or part of a reef may not be charted. If a group of rocks is shown expect other uncharted rocks close by like 25-100feet.
Plotters are not perfect either. Assuming operator had WAAS and WGS84 selected, and assuming external antenna, gps is only accurate to 3-4 meters. And that is highly dependent upon satellite configuration.

Surveying equipment may be accurate to 1", but your $300 Garmin is not.

SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote