signal horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go with multiple horns, I made the mistake of getting a single horn. It serves the purpose but I’m disappointed in the tone. Do yourself a favor, get at least dual trumpets.

To throw an update on this, the triple horn set I put together is definitely loud enough despite being electric and just under $200. I'd say it's a bit louder than being on the receiving end of one of those canned air horns, but with a much better and very distinctive tone.

They're loud enough that after the first couple of trips out this season, I get very dirty looks from anyone on the boats at the end of my fairway when they see us heading out, as they know they're about to get blasted. There's no visibility at all to one side coming out of the fairway, so I always sound 1 long as I approach the exit into the river.

They're loud enough that after the first couple of trips out this season, I get very dirty looks from anyone on the boats at the end of my fairway when they see us heading out, as they know they're about to get blasted. There's no visibility at all to one side coming out of the fairway, so I always sound 1 long as I approach the exit into the river.

My air horns are louder, but my marina neighbors express jealousy.

My air horns are louder, but my marina neighbors express jealousy.

Yeah, there's no way mine are as loud as yours. I'd be curious to measure their actual decibels though, as I don't have a real number for them. The twin trumpet set I used is rated 125 db at 1 meter, the single I put on top is rated 114 db at 1 meter. Adding the third horn does increase the perceived loudness a little and by adding a third tone definitely makes the sound stand out more.

If I'm remembering correctly, your Kahlenbergs are rated at something a bit over 130 db at 1 meter. There's no way mine are over 130. If the budget were unlimited, however, my boat would be wearing a set of the Kahlenberg T-0A horns (at more than 5 times the price of my setup before I even buy a compressor and such).

The 2008 AT34 came with one air powered trumpets. I am sure it met the required the USCG regulations. I added 2 more trumpets and a compressor and tank from Harbor Freight.
Now, a Hatteras has nothing on me. That required “one long and continuous” signal when entering from a river or marina is very impressive. No one expects a 34ft boat to sound so ‘big’. Can’t ignore my little tiny boat anymore. SMILE I have also added a whistle light. You sound the whistle, a light on the top of the ‘stack’ lights up.
Now, I would like to find is a separate small horn that goes “Toot Toot” for use in the marina, just for fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom