Security while at anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BandB, I'm not saying you're wrong in your viewpoint. It's different from mine but neither of us is wrong.

I'm curious about something. If you don't believe in guns and don't have your security force with you (which, BTW, would be heavily armed), how would you defend yourselves and run off the pirates.

Not being argumentative, but interested in learning about something I am not aware of. Thanks.

I won't go into our specifics in too much detail but some of the things that can be used include the following. The first key is identifying in time. Then

-Lights. The USCG tends to use 1000 Watt Xenon's. Strobe is also a powerful disorienting feature. The military classifies this under the heading of Ocular Interruption. If they can't see you, they can't board you. Navy even trains in laser. But then they also do in non lethal munitions designed to provide ocular and auditory disruption. Green light is called a dazzle gun. Also, laser.

-Smoke. Can include tear gas in this classification as well, but regular smoke can give you time. Let's keep in mind that most of these are not sophisticated pirates but three to a boat types looking for easy scores and often will move on at the first resistance. There are also liquids that accomplish similar due to the burning and the smell.

-Sound-Can be very painful.

-Tasers-Law enforcement's favorites along with guns shooting rubber balls but tasers really need something more to back them up as many men can keep going. To me, tasers are too late, meaning you failed to prevent boarding.

-Projectiles. These can take many forms and be used even to set their boats on fire. This includes grenades which when detonated can do all sorts of things including light and sound. You can even use compressed air to launch some.

-Water. Perhaps the easiest projectile and you have ready access especially if you have a fire pump connected to an engine. Hoses or water cannons.

Now there are others, most of which are shown on the attached link and a few used in commercial ships that sail certain areas. These others are used when anticipating larger numbers of invaders with more sophisticated weapons. Commercial ships also must deal with underwater efforts.

https://www.marineinsight.com/marin...ti-piracy-weapons-for-ships-to-fight-pirates/

Avoiding is still the best defense, but there are areas we're still on high alert. The intent of our systems is to let them know we're aware and have some form of defense. Even if you had guns, you'd hope these could avoid using them. Last thing you want to do is get in a gun battle with a large group of pirates.

As to anchoring, we don't leave a dinghy or tender in the water and we generally have someone up and on watch. We do set up a field using cameras and electronics and alarm if anyone crosses the field. Only once has it gone off and nearly scared the elderly couple in the dinghy witless. However, they soon had plenty of light to see they were headed straight toward the side of our boat. We flipped the light to LED the moment we saw them. I'm in the minority as I don't like to anchor at night. Mostly day to swim or relax. Anchoring just isn't our thing. Cruising security is in areas off shore of Nicaragua, Venezuela and Honduras today. Marina security is largely an issue when you're not aboard and we accomplish that with cameras and alarms.

There are also elaborate systems that cost more than ransom. There's a pain ray that cost the only ship I know to have it over $3 million each. It also can be lethal or worse than lethal.

Electric fences have been used on commercial ships but the warning is to use only if you have non-flammable cargo.

Here's a somewhat dated DOD booklet on non-lethal. Current administration has changed direction and dismissed the concept in favor of lethal.

https://defenseinnovationmarketplac...loads/2018/02/2015_DoD_NLWP_ANNUAL_REVIEW.pdf

On the other hand the Marine Corps is looking for laser systems to mount on vehicles.

I think the key elements for boats are lights, sound, smoke, smell and water. Any one or two of those can be an incredible deterrent.

Wifey B: Once had alarm go off when away from boat at marina and pulled up the cameras and saw a young couple about to have a make out session on the seating in the aft area of the cockpit. I spoke to them through the speaker and then told them to just continue as they were but not to go elsewhere on the boat. Of course knowing I could see them made them a bit more shy so they just sat and talked and kissed a little. :)

WE HAD A SIMILAR EVENT!!! We were in bed on our old sailboat, tied to the dock. A couple of teenagers decided our boat would offer greater comforts than the rocks over at the breakwater.

After I yelled at them the girl said to her friend "you told me it would be safe here" :thumb:

GFC

...I also believe that the fewer people that know you are armed is the way it should be.
Almost 20,000TFers, and the numerous site visitors, now know.

Bruce K

Not really worried about our members being pirates, some I know personally except for Scott who may be a beer pirate. :)

Folks touring mostly safe areas may find purchasing a row boat or second boat of some kind , so when you go ashore , its harder to tell when the boat is unoccupied, may stop sneak aboard types.

Alarms are uncommon on anchored boats so a door mat that triggers a horn and deck lights might be helpful.

Auto supply stores have 5 min alarm cut offs ,should something trigger a false alarm.

Last edited:
Yep, "smells" have kept me off of many nasty boats :)

The Stink Bomb is a unique liquid which exudes a harrowing, assaultive stench so foul that it can overwhelm anyone in its vicinity. Its proprietary formula is classified as a military-grade putricant, not even in the same league as the novelty “stink bombs” offered elsewhere. Deploy only with utmost caution and discretion.

For personal defense, The Invi Bracelet offers a nonviolent form of self-defense. When activated, the bracelet releases a foul smell to deter aggressors and alarm others.

There are now people using glitter and fart bombs to setup and catch porch pirates.

Yes Jack (Steve), you too.

Missed you at Ft Pierce, we had beer left over as Ted only drinks that crap beer (craft beer). Watfa says next February you MUST show up. :)

Even if you had guns, you'd hope these could avoid using them. Last thing you want to do is get in a gun battle with a large group of pirates.

Here's a somewhat dated DOD booklet on non-lethal. Current administration has changed direction and dismissed the concept in favor of lethal.
These two statements appear to be contradictory.:banghead:

I really don't want to get into a gun battle with a bunch of pirates, but if your earlier comment about them giving up in the face of some resistance, then I think a few well placed rounds would give them pause. :eek:

BandB, I like the various deterrents you listed, but given the enormous cost of putting most of those on a boat, I'd have spent more on the deterrent than I did on the boat. That just doesn't pencil out.

As to keeping the fact that I often carry a weapon on board a secret, and someone's comment about 20,000 TF'ers and numerous commercial contacts now having that info, I think it would not be worth the time of the 20,000 to see if they could locate me from the skimpy information I posted about my whereabouts. Not an impossible task, but difficult at best.

Yes Jack (Steve), you too.

Missed you at Ft Pierce, we had beer left over as Ted only drinks that crap beer (craft beer). Watfa says next February you MUST show up. :)

I will be there next year as long as I'm not working. I missed a good time with all you peeps!...

BandB, I like the various deterrents you listed, but given the enormous cost of putting most of those on a boat, I'd have spent more on the deterrent than I did on the boat. That just doesn't pencil out.

Yes, and no. Cameras and lights are moderate in cost. Smoke can be. Many who cross oceans where pirates are a concern also have emergency fire pumps which can supply the water deterrent. Biggest single thing in defense is early detection. And truly early means awareness of current risks before entering others. One doesn't need all the above, just one system they trust and know how to use.

We do use all the resources before cruising offshore and into areas of potential danger. One choice we make too is what areas not to go to. A lot of oceans out there so avoiding a few small areas is something we find quite acceptable.

Just to relate a short story, I was on the back side of the Abacos (west side) towards the north end, a place where very few boats go. I’m anchored up when I notice a go fast boat zig zagging but moving in my direction. I sent one of my friends down below to get my shotgun (2 slugs then 00 buck). As the boat got closer I could tell there was a male and female in their twenties, at 50 yards I went out on the rear deck, put my foot on the gunnel and rested the shotgun butt on my thigh barrel facing the sky. The boat stopped, operator asks did I know where Foxtown was (these are natives) I said look east and go to the tall radio tower never taking my eyes of the two people.

Boat turns to leave and 5 or 6 people come out of the small cabin. I’m still happy I had that 12 gauge to this day.

The Marls, west coast andros, mores isl, and perhaps green cay are great places for not having everyone sleep at the same time.

DD

That’s exactly the area we were in, went two weeks and other than that one early incident we never saw another boat closer than a few miles away. Very lonely area and peaceful.

We dinghy'd into a shack on the beach in New Bright two days ago and there was a dinghy pulled up on the beach. It had the stenciled T/T on the side which we have seen dozens of times followed by the boat name- meaning Tender To "Boat."

Only this dinghy had T/T and the boat's documentation number. They were at the shack having dinner and we sat with them, and he confirmed it was the boat's document number - which would still allow a loose dinghy to hopefully find it's owner, without telling the world that the crew of said boat were ashore and not on board!

I thought it was brilliant, and will be adding it to our dinghy.

We dinghy'd into a shack on the beach in New Bright two days ago and there was a dinghy pulled up on the beach. It had the stenciled T/T on the side which we have seen dozens of times followed by the boat name- meaning Tender To "Boat."

Only this dinghy had T/T and the boat's documentation number. They were at the shack having dinner and we sat with them, and he confirmed it was the boat's document number - which would still allow a loose dinghy to hopefully find it's owner, without telling the world that the crew of said boat were ashore and not on board!

I thought it was brilliant, and will be adding it to our dinghy.

Never seen that but it makes sense..

Many decades ago I was told to always protect my documentation number, today I can’t remember why to do so.

Our tender is registered and has registration numbers on it. No T/T. It’s a dead giveaway.

Many decades ago I was told to always protect my documentation number, today I can’t remember why to do so.

Because it makes it easier for someone to fraudulently make a transfer to their name. It is a matter of public record but many don't realize that. It's not something I'd plaster on the outside of a boat. State registration number does enough. I'd suggest a cheap tracking device for dinghies too, although most get stolen for the outboards.

Our tender has it's own registration numbers, and also has our boat's name and hailing port on the "bottom", so it is not visible when at a dinghy dock. Our boat's name is on the dinghy's bottom as it is mounted on a Seawise davit basically "sitting on it's side" blocking the vessel's name and port on the main boat when we are underway. In this way, other vessels nearby or any authorities can easily determine our name, where we are from, and can "hail us" on the radio. We added AIS this year so now less of an issue.

Here in B.C. Canada, we only had one "security" issue at anchor in over 15 years of boating. One night at about 3AM we were boarded by a seal? who decided that our cockpit (sailboat in those days) would be a great spot to rest and eat his dinner. The noise woke us up, gave us a slight scare (what was that kind of thing), and a mess to clean up :)

BandB

I learned long ago to raise the dingy out of the water every night. Ive had a few friends lose dingys at night in the Bahamas.

2 locks on outboard. One cabled to the dingy, the other lock is between outboard hold down screws. The dingy, cabled to the to the davits and locked with the 3rd lock. The dingy is raised in the davits.
If "they" are desperate enough to cut the cables and locks, SHRUG It's insured.

BandB

I learned long ago to raise the dingy out of the water every night. Ive had a few friends lose dingys at night in the Bahamas.

We've never left one in the water. I'd be hearing things all night, even when nothing happened.

BandB

Fortunately I sleep in a deeper state of oblivion, I had an extra alarm for the Garmin (anchor drag and radar) installed near my bunk. I hear that. :)

Last edited:
Some more information here:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/11...d-man-leave-woman-and-child-injured-in-panama

I had just read through this thread when a friend sends me the info about this last night. With all the statements from this thread still in mind and the theory of the "two groups" I think that there is only one good strategy how to significantly reduce the risk of becoming a victim and that is "awareness and avoidance". This is actually the same strategy one would use while traveling on land.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom