Scandie Rose - Another Seaworthy Vessels Sinks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark P

Well here is another vessel that appears to me to be very seaworthy, and yet it sinks in a matter of minutes. The Scandie Rose is about 130 feet long (reminds me of the Bourbon Rhode). Didn't appear to hit anything from what I've read, so makes me wonder how can these very seaworthy vessels literally sink so quickly doing what they were designed to do.

Attachments

• Scandie Rose.jpg
    Scandie Rose.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 293
Ice buildup from a combination of heavy seas and freezing temperatures. In temperate climates there wouldn't be any issues, but in freezing cold there is almost no way to prevent spray from building up on the cold steel except to not be exposed to it. The ice builds up feet thick and capsizes the vessel as the CG shifts beyond the point of no return.

Trucks that get caught in freezing rain then who are forced into a weigh station are many, many pounds overweight. They can either chip, transfer load or find a truck wash to get it melted off.

Great Lakes shippers use steam and chipping hammers to break it off.

pete

We used baseball bats to bust the ice. Must have had 20 of them bats onboard. A well trained crew on ice build up is imperative. 30min and you have to go back out and beat the ice. I remember being tied off to the railings while. busting ice wishing I had chains on my rubber boots almost impossible to stand up during heavy seas.

Back
Top Bottom