Safety of Induction Cooktops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If induction is dangerous, better stay away from those new electric vehicles because those induction wheel motors are some kinda potent. 0-60 MPH is 3.6 seconds. That’s enough energy to boil 5 gallons of water in under a minute. My entire body was “tingling”. Not from any invisible EMF but from well understood G Forces!

The harmonics a person feels and hears when a magnetic pot is exposed to an induction field is vibration within the metal. Multi-layer “Induction Friendly” cookware can get audibly loud on my Wolf cooktop when we crank it up to maximum power.

I’ve had all types and price ranges of stoves and cooktops including commercial quality gas and NOTHING provides the temperature control that induction does. Especially when you want to keep warm or gently simmer something like a delicate sauce - think Hollandaise. Simply amazing.

The relative risk (RR) or risk ratio is the ratio of the probability of an outcome in an exposed group to the probability of an outcome in an unexposed group. Together with risk difference and odds ratio, relative risk measures the association between the exposure and the outcome.

RR death from vaccination is ~ 1 in 4m.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the public has little education in mathematics of probability. This includes most politicians and doctors. Relative Risk Ratios are often used to describe things to make it sound momentous. So you will see medications promising to reduce some condition by 50% which sounds great. Then you look at the clinical data and it is reducing your Absolute Risk from 0.6% to 0.3% - true it is a 50% ratio reduction but only a 0.3% absolute reduction. This is quite common in medicine, that is, leaving unsaid the reference class: Compared to what, exactly?

So the Relative Risk of vaccination complications compared to not vaccinating is actually infinite - if you do not get vaccinated you cannot get complications from it. But the Absolute Risk is 1 in 4m.

If induction is dangerous, better stay away from those new electric vehicles because those induction wheel motors are some kinda potent.
Or any electric motor: fans, kitchen mixers, electric power tools, etc.

My first question would be WHY ELECTRIC? Requires always a generator to be able to cook.

My first question is WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THAT? I haven't missed a meal despite having induction. I haven't run my generator in nearly two years, so I'm preparing to remove it. The generator removal will leave a nice place for a couple of additional batteries and weigh a little less. I believe that my batteries are quieter, less maintenance, and more cost effective than the generator, so that's what I prefer. Nice because we spend every night out on anchor. Hopefully somebody will give me a couple hundred dollars for the Yanmar generator (I donated my propane stove and tank just to be rid of it). A couple hundred dollars can go towards a solar panel. WHY SOLAR? Different strokes.

Well I reminded my wife that although induction cooktops are safe, we still need to be careful like with anything else. Stay a foot away (which is a normal cooking distance anyway), don't grab the metal handle of a pot (they're hot anyway)... but use wood or plastic utensils. That's probably the only thing different.

However, it did freak me out when I had that tingling in my finger for several days after dipping into the water. It's like I was cooking my finger from the inside.

Kids, don't try this at home :)

Wifey B: Well, what little I know about science says to prove the theory you need to stick your hand back in and keep it there for several hours. Then see about tingling. If it tingles, you've proven it and it will be named the Mako TF Tingling Induction Factor. :rofl:

Now, I choose not to do most science experiments myself. But if you do, please report the results here. :popcorn:

Disclaimer: Anyone who follows my advice on scientific experiments with electricity is a fool and at great risk. :hide:

No way WifeyB, I’m not that dumb. Won’t be sticking my finger where it doesn’t belong anymore.

Next time I’ll just use my tongue [emoji14]

No way WifeyB, I’m not that dumb. Won’t be sticking my finger where it doesn’t belong anymore.

Next time I’ll just use my tongue [emoji14]

Wifey B: :nonono::nonono::nonono: Use your tongue for licking the ice off the tree or house. :rofl:

finger, tongue...... you folks are going to get us all in trouble if we continue.
:D

My first question is WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THAT? I haven't missed a meal despite having induction. I haven't run my generator in nearly two years, so I'm preparing to remove it. The generator removal will leave a nice place for a couple of additional batteries and weigh a little less. I believe that my batteries are quieter, less maintenance, and more cost effective than the generator, so that's what I prefer. Nice because we spend every night out on anchor. Hopefully somebody will give me a couple hundred dollars for the Yanmar generator (I donated my propane stove and tank just to be rid of it). A couple hundred dollars can go towards a solar panel. WHY SOLAR? Different strokes.

"A" solar panel?
A "couple" of additional batteries?
Will that really do it?

Whilst I am all for bigger battery and more solar and may one day go induction cooktop, I am doing so with a considerable sized LFP battery bank and 2.5kw of solar with a likely addition of another 1kw

Last edited:
"A" solar panel?
A "couple" of additional batteries?
Will that really do it?

Whilst I am all for bigger battery and more solar and may one day go induction cooktop, I am doing so with a considerable sized LFP battery bank and 2.5kw of solar with a likely addition of another 1kw

We cruised 10 weeks using our induction stove off of a single lithium 120Ah battery that recharged we only when we motored. Came close to using it up a few times, so I just installed a 200W solar panel. So yes, "a" battery and "a" solar panel to handle all our cooking on induction. We ate a couple meals ashore, but not because of a lack of stove power. A LFP "battery bank" and 2.5kw of solar would suffice for a crew of 10.

Hi Marco and thanks for reviving this old thread. It was interesting rereading the old comments.

Cool to hear that you cook with induction and don't even use a generator.

BTW, you can't yell at Simi since he's not with us on Earth anymore. He was a good guy with strong opinions, definitely an outside-the-box thinker.

It's the classic discussion of cooking on board.... some people make one pot meals or even bag and freeze them into one pot meals...and other have what I consider a "holiday dinner" most every night.

Some hate electric and some hate gas and some even think it is unsafe.

Like most boating topics, do what works for you...the amp hour and equipment/battery bank size is pretty easy math for those contemplating it.

We've been using high power induction (240 volt, 10 KW) for 10 years now. Boiling, frying, heating water for tea. Never felt any discomfort, no tingling, nothing at all.

Just much faster and precise heat control.

My boat came with a double alcohol cooktop. That has been removed and will be replaced with an induction cooktop. When I get it I will stick my finger in a pot of water just to see what happens.

When I get it I will stick my finger in a pot of water just to see what happens.

I think Phil is just messing with me :)

I miss the B-and-B duo. Barb was a real wise-guy and would have some snappy comebacks for sure.

I’m late to the party on this thread but I’ll toss in that ever since going to induction cooking in the RV I can’t believe how much I miss my calphalon cookware. Oh well, I still have granny’s 5 generation old cast iron skillet.

We have been using a diesel/electric 12/24 volt Wallas hob for 27 years, both (fuels) in abundance on board, safe and no need to worry about.

xm3lzPi.jpg

Greeting

Pascal.

I'm also anxious to try the "finger dip" test next time I'm in front of an induction cooktop. I've been thinking about switching to induction, both on the boat and for the house. Not being able to use a metal spatula might be a show-stopper for me though.

I don't see why you can't use a metal spatula? A magnetic spatula might be an issue, but if it's made of non-magnetic stainless or something then it should be just fine (as the induction element won't be able to heat the spatula).

I use steel spatulas all the time no problem. Don't do anything weird. Don't vibrate or make sparks. I don't think much EMR penetrates the pans or pots.

I do some serious heat too, high temp searing of beef and blackening of fish with the induction maxed out and the blower fan on high to suck all the smoke out. Yeah I use a steel flipper, wood would burn and plastic would melt.

Last edited:
I'm also anxious to try the "finger dip" test next time I'm in front of an induction cooktop. I've been thinking about switching to induction, both on the boat and for the house. Not being able to use a metal spatula might be a show-stopper for me though.

Why not to use metal spatula? It is induction not a microwave oven. Only thing that induction is doing is to induce some current in your pot that creates heat because of its resistance. Nothing magic, no arm or danger. This is not different from what is happening in an alternator or a transformer.

L

Or buy a silicone kitchen tools.
They can handle close to 400f or 200c.

Kind of spendy. But the induction cook top isn't cheap.

Attachments

• img83xl.jpg
    img83xl.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom