Safety Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I ran across some $1 foam nerf like footballs at Dollar Tree and what came to mind were they might be useful as hole stoppers since you could squeeze them down and put them into a hole and let them expand back to fill / fit the hole size. In my book, definitely worth $2 for two balls.

Last edited:
I keep a similar squeeze ball for the same reason, along with my tapered plugs.
The one I have is designed for isolating products in pipelines, but is almost the same as a Nerf ball except for the price.

Luckily, I cannot validate how well they work in an emergency situation, but they are one more possible lifesaver in the emergency toolbox.

I bought a red semi-flexible tapered plug from West Marine.
I am considering a rod of 'slap on water leak stopping tape' as seen on TV.
Now, I will consider a multi-purpose nerf football. I say multi-purpose because it can also be used as a beach toy too.

The only risk in using it as a beach toy is that someone might not replace it. I would put a couple of sized balls in a zip-lock and keep with your safety gear, since oil spray in an ER might melt the foam or make it harden. I found several soft / compressible foam balls at Dollar tree, so they are CHEAP!

I’m thinking that if I need to plug a hole in my boat that big, I’ll wish I didn’t buy something from the Dollar Store.

Just my $1.

All my through hulls are located in the ER so that's where my Sta Plug lives.
Plus a boat with a 3.5 ft draft makes a smaller 'fountain' than a 5' draft boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom