Rogue wave kills passenger.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was down there on the Nat Geo Polaris, small expeditionary ship with the zodiacs going ashore. This is the most beautiful part of the world but the most desolate. Read about Shackleton's adventures. Hard to believe they could survive for years under a lifeboat with a blubber stove on Elephant Island.

Boy, I read lots of Melville but I must have forgotten, I had no idea there was such a thing as a blubber stove. Sure enough.

Heck, breaking windows 30 feet above the waterline doesn't take a rogue wave.

The USCGC Glacier the year before I rode her to Antactica had a Higgins boat (36 foot landing craft) ripped off her storm tie down some 30 feet above the waterline. :eek:

The picture of the boat is the upper right one.

On one trip I was on, on the way to Dutch Harbor we had a bridge window 80 feet above the waterline punched out by green water.... did tens of thousands of dollars in damages to the foredeck equipment and injured one Coastie that had to be MEDEVACed to Anchorage when we landed. Not fun, neither was the damage and injury investigation I was assigned....:facepalm:

One just has to watch some you tube to see some angry seas.....

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Boy, I read lots of Melville but I must have forgotten, I had no idea there was such a thing as a blubber stove. Sure enough.

Reducing blubber was a closed system; whale parts were both the raw material and the fuel. On a three-year cruise, firewood got scarce pretty quickly.

Of course, in Shackleton's case, seals and penguins were the combustibles.

Last edited:
I pride myself on being self sufficient but in Antarctic there is nothing to survive on. The convergence zone keeps all driftwood away. If you kill a penguin, you better eat it quick before it freezes. Can't even put in water to keep from freezing as water is 28 degrees. One of the most hostile places on earth but equally one of the most spectacular. We joked if you took "wow" out of our vocabulary down there, we would be speechless.

I was just watching some videos of the Drake Passage, and the 'Drake Shake' doesn't looks like fun. The convergence of three oceans is always going to be treacherous.

Now imagine Shackelton taking an open 30' lifeboat with a sail from Elephant Island to South Georgia Is. with 1890s foul Wx gear in that stuff! Amazing feat. Guy never makes it to Antarctica much less southpole and he is the most renown Antarctic explorer.

To get the true Shackelton experience you have to land your whaleboat on the wrong side of the island and do some glacier mountaineering up and over to find "civilization". A real Adventure Holiday.

Off topic but regarding the Shackleton expedition, a guy down the road has a bunch of books. One set is about the Shackleton expedition, written by SHACKLETON.

Now imagine Shackelton taking an open 30' lifeboat with a sail from Elephant Island to South Georgia Is. with 1890s foul Wx gear in that stuff! Amazing feat. Guy never makes it to Antarctica much less southpole and he is the most renown Antarctic explorer.

Can you imagine the despair of those left behind as Shackelton sailed off to get help? Stuck on a small, cold rocky island in the middle of nowhere. The hope and faith in your captain but your gut telling you how unlikely the chances of success. And yet he didn't lose a single crew member. The story takes epic to a rarified level.

On our expeditionary cruise, they allowed you off on a beach and you could trace a part of the trek across South Georgia Is that Shakelton took to the whaling station. Then they picked you up at the Whaling station. While waiting at the Whaling station, a woman fell and broke her hip. There is no medevac down there, our ship was the only way off the Island. 2 days to Falkland's for a medevac plane. She must have been in a lot of pain. You just can't describe how remote and bleak it is down there. But oh so beautiful.

I am still having a hard time with the term "rogue" wave if the ship crossed Drake Passage during a storm.

Normal waves during a Drake Passage storm could have caused that kind of damage.

I might have missed it, but I haven't seen any "weather" reports including wind speeds and wave heights or at least ship observations during the storm.

Will be interesting if that French satellite (I think) that looks for rogue waves had any indications for that time period.

Last edited:
Ships that venture to Antactica or the high Arctic should be a bit more rugged than most. But if seas were 15 or so, I could see the captain taking them on the beam, then a 30 footer wrecks his day.

Ships that venture to Antactica or the high Arctic should be a bit more rugged than most. But if seas were 15 or so, I could see the captain taking them on the beam, then a 30 footer wrecks his day.

Right but a 30 footer is a normal day down there.

Right but a 30 footer is a normal day down there.

I crossed/operated in the Drake 6 times that year I was down there and each time I was fortunate to have very good conditions.. We flew (meaning could launch helos and that has to be very good conditions) most of a whole month near the South Orkney Islands. That was on the tiny 310 foot icebreaker USCGC Glacier (WAGB 4)... :eek:

We also flew around the entire Antarctic Peninsula another month going in and out of the US scientific station Palmer.

Summer can have some pretty decent weather...no one in their right mind stays down there for the winter. Ain't enough booze on that whole continent to really survive....:nonono::D

Summer is great, have a picture of me comfortably in T shirt on the peninsula.

This is the closest thing to an estimated wave height that I've seen on the net, but it could just be Yahoo's crack reporters.

50 feet, and if taken on the beam could explain that level of damage.

Late Nov/early Dec is still a bit early in the summer season, but I suppose an intense low pressure front can move through that part of the world anytime it wants to.

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 30
Excessive booze and endless eating, falling over the railings, covid, and now rogue waves.. cruise ships are deadly.

Hollywood

This is a new and beautiful boat, carries two submersibles as well. We wanted to take this through all the Great Lakes this year but did a NY to Quebec City cruise instead. Hope to do it next year. I personally like the top or near top deck cabins for viewing. Just bad bad luck for this poor soul. And it all started it seems from the zodiac hitting a bad wave or maybe ice earlier and injuring a passenger during an expedition. The video says they had turned back because a woman needed surgery on her leg that was injured in the Zodiac.

'Unbelievable': Springettsbury woman describes deadly rogue wave hitting cruise ship

“All of a sudden, there was this horrendous noise. I can’t even describe the noise,” Just said. “It was so loud, it was unbelievable. I felt the ship go down a little bit and come back up a little bit — not much — and rolled a little bit to the side — but not much — and that was the end of it.”

The two weren’t sure what happened at the time. They thought perhaps the ship had hit either an iceberg or a whale.

The incident left one American passenger, 62-year-old Sheri Zhu, dead and four others injured. Zhu was struck by broken glass when the wave broke cabin windows on the ship. The Viking Polaris, a vessel that has luxury facilities and was built in 2022, has capacity for 378 passengers and 256 crew members.

Hit by two waves: It wasn’t until the next morning that they learned about the rogue wave. They were told there were actually two waves that hit the ship, one was estimated at around 40 feet high and the second was between 70 and 85 feet high, Just said.

It wasn’t until two days later that they found out a person had died as a result of the wave hitting the ship. Crew members told them 19 cabins were damaged by the wave’s impact, Just said.

Shortly after that, they were told the rest of the Antarctic cruise was cancelled and all the passengers were going home.

“Viking did absolutely everything to keep us safe," Just said. "They were pretty good at keeping us informed about what was going on. They made arrangements for all of us to go back to Buenos Aires and stay in hotels.”

Check out the boat here:

Viking Polaris

Welcome to our Viking Expedition ship 360

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 9.48.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 9.48.51 PM.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
I wonder what the glass thickness was of those windows which broke. They look to be about 3x3 ft in size. With that central horizontal purlin, are those operable windows, because they do appear to be so?

Back
Top Bottom