Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Robert F Kennedy's granddaughter and her son missing after boating

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9446856.html

Quote:
Two members of the Kennedy family have gone missing after boating on Chesapeake Bay on Thursday evening, a family spokesperson confirmed.

Robert F Kennedy's granddaughter Maeve Kennedy McKean and her eight-year-old son, Gideon, were last seen after they took a canoe out on the water before they went missing.

"At this time our family asks for privacy and that everyone keep Maeve and Gideon in their prayers," a statement from a family spokesman read.

The mother-son duo were last seen floating just a few miles off the shore around 4.30pm on Thursday, according to a press release from the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
What a snake-bit family!

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Guru

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...hesapeake-bay/

Paywall

Daughter, grandson of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend presumed dead after going missing in Chesapeake Bay

Quote:
Kathleen Kennedy Townsend’s 41-year-old daughter and 8-year-old grandson were presumed dead Friday after they disappeared while boating the day before in Maryland, according to a statement from the family.
Maeve Fahey Kennedy Townsend, 41, and her son, 8-year-old Gideon were believed to have died as searchers suspended efforts after more than a day of scouring the Chesapeake Bay, Kennedy Townsend’s husband, David McKean, said in a statement posted to Facebook on Friday night.
“Despite heroic efforts by the Coast Guard and many state and local authorities, the decision has now been made to suspend the active rescue effort,” McKean said. “The search that began yesterday afternoon went on throughout the night and continued all day today. It is now dark again. It has been more than 24 hours, and the chances they have survived are impossibly small. It is clear that Maeve and Gideon have passed away.”

https://heavy.com/news/2020/04/maeve...ideon-missing/
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Guru

https://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/annapolis

Water temperature 51F. Staying overnight in a canoe on the Chesapeake seems unlikely. Looks really bad.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
https://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/annapolis

Water temperature 51F. Staying overnight in a canoe on the Chesapeake seems unlikely. Looks really bad.
Was the father watching them as they chased the ball?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
This happened in Maryland waters, right?

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
This happened in Maryland waters, right?

David

It would appear so. The release was from the Ann Arundel country fire department, and that's the county around Annapolis.

Why?

What a shame, regardless of who it happens too.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The deadline for stay at home had already come?

Maybe an exercise outing? If permitted?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Here and there
Paddling a boat is a specific exemption.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #10

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
It happened at her home in Shady Side, MD. About 25 mile south of Annapolis. It was windy out and they were unable to overcome wind pushing them away from shore.

John
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #11

City: PNW
I first thought the same thing, i.e. weren't the waters closed to recreational boating? But reading a bit more, it seems the situation was the family were playing ball in their yard when the ball accidentally went out into the water and started blowing away. They "popped into" a canoe to chase it down (spur of the moment) but were overcome by wind or waves and could not get back.

Not saying it was a smart move (obviously given the tragic outcome), but it's not like they were on a planned boating day flouting the rules.

I grew up near a lake and well remember the "Oh, no, the ball!" moments as it took off and we grabbed a raft or boat to go after it. Difference being it was more like a small pond and not the Potomac. (OTOH, how we didn't maim each other when swimming and playing with motorboats I have no idea.)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

I wanted to add a correction. The article I read last night referred to the Potomac (maybe because they live in the DC area). However, according to The Washington Post, they were isolating at her parents' house - which is south of Annapolis - and their yard is on a sheltered cove, not right on the Chesapeake Bay. Still somehow they did get into an area that was not conducive to canoeing that day.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: South East
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I wanted to add a correction. The article I read last night referred to the Potomac (maybe because they live in the DC area). However, according to The Washington Post, they were isolating at her parents' house - which is south of Annapolis - and their yard is on a sheltered cove, not right on the Chesapeake Bay. Still somehow they did get into an area that was not conducive to canoeing that day.
Frosty, it happened there :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6816E00A-06ED-4836-9277-A30D96DC29F1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	101091   Click image for larger version

Name:	16F485CF-B511-45D0-931F-B3EC85A02791.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	101092  
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #14

Thanks, Pilou. Looks/sounds as though the sheltered cove was pretty close to more open water. What a sad event.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: South East
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Thanks, Pilou. Looks/sounds as though the sheltered cove was pretty close to more open water. What a sad event.
Yes very sad, a horrific tragedy...
Old 04-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #16
Guru

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/polic...tinue/32059326

Quote:
SHADY SIDE, Md. —
The Maryland Natural Resources Police announced Monday the body of former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's daughter was recovered, while the search for her grandson continues.
According to officials, just after 5:30 p.m., the Charles County Dive and Rescue team found Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean's body in 25-feet-deep water, and about 2 1/2 miles south of her mother's residence in Shady Side.

Police said McKean and her 8-year-old son, Gideon, disappeared last Thursday evening near Herring Bay.
A spokesperson for Gov. Larry Hogan's office said the governor was briefed and the family was notified.
Officials said they will resume the search for Gideon on Tuesday.
This report will be updated.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2901 Striper
I was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Our teacher started to cry and since we all loved her, the entire class started to cry. My parents cried, my older sister cried. This was followed by 3 days of immersion into the train carrying his body and then the funeral procession. Yes it affected me as I’m sure it did many in this audience. I also had to fight back tears when John-Johns plane went down. If I recall correctly a granddaughter committed suicide a year or two back.

The tragedies this family faces just never seem to end. Every time I hear about another sad story I am brought back to my 3rd grade classroom.
Pete

Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote