Old 04-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

City: Sunshine Coast
Stern design and safety in following seas

Ahoi shipmates.
I've always wondered about some boats i see cruising along the east coast which have ginormous swim platforms attached and how they would be affected by a following sea?
A boat I've recently asked about in a different forum thread is a 50ft Halvorson displacement pilothouse trawler that has a rounded stern which has had a swim platform attached. Isn't the design thought behind a rounded stern on a displacement cruiser to improve or lessen the effects placed on the boat in a large following sea? I've attached some photos for a look see. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
20210414_042445.jpg   20210414_042507.jpg   20210414_042534.jpg   20210414_042553.jpg  
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Pure spit-balling zero credibility guess:

Me-thinks it wouldn't be an issue 97% of the time, but if conditions are bad enough that waves start using the swim step to push the vessel off its intended course, you'd wish it wasn't there.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Pure spit-balling zero credibility guess:

Me-thinks it wouldn't be an issue 97% of the time, but if conditions are bad enough that waves start using the swim step to push the vessel off its intended course, you'd wish it wasn't there.
Yeah in perfect conditions not a problem. Can't understand why you would do it if you have in mind blue water or coastal cruising where you may encounter large following seas especially since you're in a 8-9 knot max displacement cruiser.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Some water will go through the slots on the platform, reducing force. An overly long platform is more likely to hit the water and get pushed on. But if it's up high enough and not too long, it's unlikely to be an issue. The water should just be pushing on the hull below the platform.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #5

The home port may suggest she's only sailed in Sydney harbour.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Some water will go through the slots on the platform, reducing force. An overly long platform is more likely to hit the water and get pushed on. But if it's up high enough and not too long, it's unlikely to be an issue. The water should just be pushing on the hull below the platform.
Pictures would suggest that the platform is probably only about 1 ft or less above water line observed from waterline paint stripes?