Recommended Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Capn Jim, Thank you for the information. The boat we are purchasing has a unique feature the radar and satellite domes are mounted to a separate mount which allows it to be dropped down and the boat has approximately 18-foot bridge clearance. It won't make it all the way on the Erie Canal or some of the Canadian waterways, but it'll be good for the 1 19.1-foot bridge in Illinois. I was also told that they will be dropping that water level by 1.5 feet when all the lock maintenance is completed. I have no idea if that is fact though.

I could argue that Quicksilver does not need basic courses offered thru ABC, USCG, Boat US, etc.

I could argue for specific training on the new boat. He's had plenty of experience for the basics. Training ON his new boat can help a lot.

I could argue that Quicksilver does not need basic courses offered thru ABC, USCG, Boat US, etc.

I could argue for specific training on the new boat. He's had plenty of experience for the basics. Training ON his new boat can help a lot.
Isn't that what the 2 training capts can/will provide?

It's really hard to say what kind of training anyone needs. The average boated doesn't know stuff they don't even know you should.

Saw that in teaching boating safety classes, captains licensing classes both at the OUPV and Masters levels. Each level saw blank looks from most that they had never heard, thought or had to worry about info taught.

Then...knowing something, even in a classroom situation can be lots different that being out on the water and making decisions.

Weather is a good example. Sure lots of older captains have lived many years listening to morning weather... they even know much of the weather where they have boated for 50 years. Put them on the loop and a thousand miles from their local boating area and they pace the docks asking "is it safe to cross the sound/lake today?" Just not the same as real life experience.

So a combo of broad-brush training and personal reading initially should set up a list of things the OP and any other should target training and questions for the "hands on" captains.

Some more advance training in specific subjects may be hard to find...but that's the price of feeling confident when planning and executing boating adventures new to you.

Sure complete newbies survive wild adventures as seen in videos and blogs....but remember...I got much of my experience during 35 years of extricating newbies to seasoned mariners from predicaments they weren't prepared for.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I knew I could count on getting some direction here. I started buy listing all my experience as was required by the insurance company. Since 1973 I have accumulated about 2400 hours of experience. The problem being the majority of these hours were in 25 foot or less sized boats. I have about 400 hours total on 70 to 80 foot houseboat rentals over the years. With that said my plan is to do the regular power squadron courses, the advanced power squadron courses, and 3 to 5 days of a captain that has captained the boat we have purchased. Hopefully this will get it done and we can start enjoying the boat this summer.

I would reach out to both of the captains you are working with to bring the boat home and communicate that you are interested in being trained along the way. It is probably assumed that you would like to receive instruction but just be clear what you are looking for. Assuming that both are planning to coach you up along their portions of the trip, you will have a pretty good idea of who learn best from and hopefully one or both would be good options to receive additional training from.

Like any skill in life, the ability to share it with others is totally independent from having the skill yourself. Teaching is a skill and being able to stay calm, communicate clear and timely instructions without being overbearing while operating an unfamiliar vessel in tight quarters is a tall order to fill. The captains you have hired may not have any interest in teaching nor the ability to do so but it is certainly worth looking into.

I taught part time at a sailing school for years and while it was challenging and rewarding in many aspects, one of the biggest values we could offer to students in our cruising classes was confidence and experience in docking and other close quarters maneuvers under power (we sailed the smaller boats in and out of berths). I enjoyed the challenge but it was still a challenge, I would like to think I was better than most but I had a fellow coach who really had ice water flowing through his veins and you could never detect a hint of strain in his voice. That is the quality I would look for in a teaching captain, which is hard to figure out ahead of time.

Weather is a good example. Sure lots of older captains have lived many years listening to morning weather... they even know much of the weather where they have boated for 50 years. Put them on the loop and a thousand miles from their local boating area and they pace the docks asking "is it safe to cross the sound/lake today?" Just not the same as real life experience.

Actually the USPS / ABC Wx course is a very good one IMO. It is about 10 weeks / sessions with reading & homework each session. NOAA has an online Wx course that also looked very comprehensive. The USPS course is patterned very close to the USA Today Wx book and uses many of their graphics / illustrations.
With the background and a tool like Windy a novice can get a lot of good usable info including looking at a couple different model outputs as the broadcasters do.

Had lots of "book" meteorology in flight school and throughout my career.... still think living it counts for a lot after you have a good book background.

Had lots of "book" meteorology in flight school and throughout my career.... still think living it counts for a lot after you have a good book background.
No disagreement here.
That's the difference between knowledge & wisdom

Boaters University Weather Course

Thanks for mentioning your weather course, something I know I was deficient in learning previously.

I've been taking the Boaters University expansive weather segment, taking a break now and then to do other segments and coming back to weather. It is so expertly taught and so comprehensive! It's nice to learn the science behind the forecasts, and to learn how quickly and why weather can change - good lessons to learn at home and not on the water!

I'm sure that USPS and USCGA weather classes are also valuable, and I expect that I'll get around to those at some point down the road.

Back
Top Bottom