pepper balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floater

Veteran Member
I meat a guy this past summer at Ashbridges Bay, Toronto, and we ended up talking about boats and whatnot. He told me about his trawler and how he travels around the Bahamas and Florida and it was because of this guy that i'm now looking into getting my own Trawler. Anyways he mentioned for safeties sake he carries an air pistol on board that fires pepper balls. He said it's legal as long as he declares it when entering any foreign country. Does anyone else feel the need to carry such an item for safety?

Will you be traveling internationally, or staying in Canada?

I've always found avoiding trouble areas to be the best defense. If I was going to carry a device such as what your friend has, I would check on legalities for myself.

Ted

There will be no use for this in Canada, you know we are leaving in a peaceful country so no need to think about any movie drama.
Moreover do you really think an air gun would allow you to scare someone motivated to rob you? And what about the guy who would carry a bigger (real) gun than your toy and will not hesitate to use it?
Don't mind my comment but come back to reality and enjoy your boat :)

L

Mine are a tad less peppery than when I was young.

I can't see how a pepperball launcher would be desirable in the small confines of a boat.

Shrug.

Might as well use bear spray.

In Canada it seems to be illegal to carry anything for the purpose of self defense. Since a pepper gun has no other uses, I expect it is illegal to have at hand. Just like a concealed knife.
It may be better to have one of these at hand just in case your boat is in trouble.
Flare Gun).jpg

In Canada it seems to be illegal to carry anything for the purpose of self defense. Since a pepper gun has no other uses, I expect it is illegal to have at hand. Just like a concealed knife.
It may be better to have one of these at hand just in case your boat is in trouble.
View attachment 111931
I am wondering if we are allowed to fire some flare for training (or new year celebration) as I have a bunch of expired flares that just wait to be used.

L

When you shoot balls of fire at them, they know you're crazy. :eek:

Ted

I am wondering if we are allowed to fire some flare for training (or new year celebration) as I have a bunch of expired flares that just wait to be used.

L

while I have not been in the right place at the right time, halloween or New Years eve seem like the right time. Otherwise they frown on it.

L

Lou

That would require a sense of humour on the part of the JRCC. Also on the part of every well trained boater within viewing range, as especially at this dark time of year, anyone seeing a distress flare deployed, is required to call that sighting in to the *16 or VHF Channel 16 operator. That call then gets JRCC involved and can lead to deployment of RCMSAR and CCG assets.

Even calling your intentions in beforehand is unlikely to help, as they need to know, ie be able to verify, that you are firing practice flares. They also need to know that you didn't decide not to bother, so the flare seen and called in might still represent a real distress.

Sorry for the long answer, but basically the answer is and will always be "NO".

Lou

That would require a sense of humour on the part of the JRCC. Also on the part of every well trained boater within viewing range, as especially at this dark time of year, anyone seeing a distress flare deployed, is required to call that sighting in to the *16 or VHF Channel 16 operator. That call then gets JRCC involved and can lead to deployment of RCMSAR and CCG assets.

Even calling your intentions in beforehand is unlikely to help, as they need to know, ie be able to verify, that you are firing practice flares. They also need to know that you didn't decide not to bother, so the flare seen and called in might still represent a real distress.

Sorry for the long answer, but basically the answer is and will always be "NO".
Sorry I did not mean on water, there is usually not much water up here at that time in the year. I meant over land. I never fired a flare, just think it would be a good exercise for me and my admiral to waste expired flares :)

L

Further to the story about the pepper balls this guy informed me the gun he has shoots 200 feet. He said he only needs to hit the small boat approaching his and the occupants will jump ship cus the pepper is so strong. I looked into it and you can buy the guns and pepper balls here in Canada. Still wouldn't have one on the boat though.
I do have a potato cannon I made for pesky sail boats while salmon fishing but I didn't use that either. Not sure if I would be charges with Piracy on a Lake:)

Can see where this one's going...now where the heck is that 'ignore this thread' button?

If the pepper is not too compacted, maybe fire them at steaks on the bbq. Yum!

L
Yes, you can. BUT not legally in Canada.
About a week ago, here, someone on land fired a parachute flare. Didn't go as planned and almost burnt a house down.
For training you can apply to Coast Guard and plan for an event and they will supply some WHITE practice flares. There may be a cost involved.

GS

Further to the story about the pepper balls this guy informed me the gun he has shoots 200 feet. He said he only needs to hit the small boat approaching his and the occupants will jump ship cus the pepper is so strong. I looked into it and you can buy the guns and pepper balls here in Canada. Still wouldn't have one on the boat though.
I do have a potato cannon I made for pesky sail boats while salmon fishing but I didn't use that either. Not sure if I would be charges with Piracy on a Lake:)
So one as a pepper gun and you have the potato cannon. Just need to meet for a spicy smashed potatoes party.
Have fun!

L

L

Lou
I carry expired flares in the dinghy and as backups in the boat. I too often wonder how long I should keep them. Shooting stars, rockets, and hand held can all be set off without becoming visible. Handhelds will require some imagination to choose the right location. Rockets and stars can simply be aimed into deep water. You should not the age if you try this method of disposal, then you will also note the failure rate.
This past summer I fired (wrong word) my dinghy flares, out of 12 stars, not one worked! I now carry somewhat newer expired flares in the dinghy and will do test shots more frequently.

The threads "Otters" and "Pepper Balls" threads are just now one above the other on the Thread Index. Is there a message?

Lou
I carry expired flares in the dinghy and as backups in the boat. I too often wonder how long I should keep them. Shooting stars, rockets, and hand held can all be set off without becoming visible. Handhelds will require some imagination to choose the right location. Rockets and stars can simply be aimed into deep water. You should not the age if you try this method of disposal, then you will also note the failure rate.
This past summer I fired (wrong word) my dinghy flares, out of 12 stars, not one worked! I now carry somewhat newer expired flares in the dinghy and will do test shots more frequently.
Good idea! I bring down a load to the recycling station but still kept quite some from PO and the latest expired. Age range from 6 to 12 years old.

L

He said it's legal as long as he declares it when entering any foreign country.

Every state in the US is different, every country is different so you better know all their rules. If cruising south through the US you stand a reasonable chance of being boarded by 20yr old USCG kids with machine guns at some point. My experience with them has been quite pleasant and I've found them to be professinal and courteous ... but I'd imagine their attitude would be somewhat different knowing the boat they were approaching was armed.

Being boarded by local water cops or CBP is an entirely different and unpredictable event and sometimes quite unpleasant as they generally don't know their own rules and some make them up as they go.

Greetings,
Mr. f. MY opinion only, regarding "protection". As mentioned, there are a myriad of different regulations regarding weaponry aboard AND a variety of LEO's who are aware or unaware of said regulations and enforcement. Given the potential consequences (mostly BAD), you will be much better off not bothering with any "devices" that you probably will never need IF you simply use common sense. We've never felt the slightest need for any such "protection".

I think you would be much farther ahead to get a dog. Even barking is a deterrent to possible skullduggery.

If cruising south through the US you stand a reasonable chance of being boarded by 20yr old USCG kids with machine guns at some point. My experience with them has been quite pleasant and I've found them to be professinal and courteous ... but I'd imagine their attitude would be somewhat different knowing the boat they were approaching was armed.

Being boarded by local water cops or CBP is an entirely different and unpredictable event and sometimes quite unpleasant as they generally don't know their own rules and some make them up as they go.

We often have firearms aboard and have been boarded by USCG and local authorities plenty of times. No one ever seemed to care, aside from restricting our access to the guns while they were aboard.

He said it's legal as long as he declares it when entering any foreign country.
Do you really think that he researched the laws in EVERY country in the world? I don't. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that I could find several countries where an air pistol would be illegal.

Here's a good rule of thumb: Anytime someone tells you that something is legal in every country in the world, the odds are extremely high that they are WRONG!

An air pistol firing pepper balls might not be the worst defensive weapon. It would certainly be better than falling for the internet myth of using wasp spray. But you absolutely CANNOT count on it being legal in any country that you might visit.

Greetings,
Mr. f. further to my previous comment and after a bit of research, it seems your "friend" is breaking the law. Pepper SPRAY is considered a restricted weapon in Canada unless it is for protection against animals, so by extension (on my part), pepper balls are as well since they are meant to be used against humans. He might be compliant with US laws BUT only US laws.

Last edited:
Are we talking about a paintball gun ?? Them suckers hurt ! Don't ask how I know.
I wouldn't bother with pepper balls just throw the paintballs in the freezer.
Excellent defense against jet skies blasting by in an anchorage too...

Just my not so humble opinion, I'd never do that no matter how badly I'd want too.
Well.. Maybe if beer was involved... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom