Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #21
Guru

It`s usual to lift and check the mooring apparatus, right down to the concrete block, every year. Insurance, and I think the Maritime Authority which gives permission to lay the mooring, usually require it. And it`s commonsense. Most people use a mooring contractor who puts it in his diary. I recall a contractor once telling me "I got there just in time", and repeating it.
But it won`t stop a misplaced anchor sawing through the line. A friend lost his sailboat when bridle was sawn through where it ran through a fairlead after days of protracted bad weather.

BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Unknown moorings are always a little scary to me because you do not know what equipment was used and when was it last inspected. Where I keep my boat, mooring chains and other fasteners are replaced every 5 years.

Ken

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Somewhat relevant to this thread:

It always amazes me that people will just tie up to any old mooring they find. There was a thread about this here awhile ago, as in some places you can do that under the assumption you must leave if the owner shows up. Was that mooring designed for small skiff or daysailer, or a boat your size? When was it last maintained?

We like using moorings, but do so only if it is a commercial/government field and we have confirmed with the harbormaster that it is appropriate for our boat.

One exception was in the beautiful Thimble Islands off Connecticut. We were in the process of commencing anchoring in a lovely, protected spot, and a guy came by in a skiff on his way to his dock, and offered the use of his mooring, assuring me it had just been serviced and they'd had as much as 70 footer on it.

Moorings come in many different designs. We always try to use as much of our own ground tackle as possible. I learned this quick at Vero Beach when the painter designed to go over your bow cleat broke off in my hand. I brought it in with me when I checked in, to the chagrin of the staff. We noticed a bunch of people around us in the field busily changing their hook-ups over the course of the day as word got out....

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #24

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 MK1
It pays to check your mooring lines

These boats were among a number that also didnít fare so well at Parsley Bay (NSW) during the same storms on Sunday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6002.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	99488
PamLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quite a collection, it must have been some storm.

Glad to see Poseidon was not amongst the mess!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #26

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Quite a collection, it must have been some storm.

Glad to see Poseidon was not amongst the mess!

Yes indeed! We were on board, but berthed at the marina nearby. Found some minor issues to attend to where a little rain was seeping in around the forward cabin escape hatches. But on the list to fix.
PamLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamLeatch View Post
These boats were among a number that also didnít fare so well at Parsley Bay (NSW) during the same storms on Sunday.
Attachment 99488
We are at Brooklyn, in Sandbrook Inlet, which is the other side of Parsley Bay. Two boats on moorings operated by the marina dragged a considerable distance.
A worst case mooring pick up story(in a book about cruising the River) is a hire boat which picked up a mooring ball on the Hawkesbury river, unaware it had broken loose from the mooring itself, and moving wherever tide wind or waves took it.

BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote