It pays to check your mooring lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I'll admit that I found Avalon's Mooring field a bit scary. :eek:

How so? The incident he mentioned is extremely rare. I like the mooring set-up on Catalina, including the Isthmus/Two Harbors, which we prefer. Keeps everyone pointed into the right direction and no horsing around. Gets more boats into the same space.

Last edited:
How so? The incident he mentioned is extremely rare. I like the mooring set-up on Catalina, including the Isthmus/Two Harbors, which we prefer. Keeps everyone pointed into the right direction and no horsing around. Gets more boats into the same space.

Wifey B: And when a strong wind hit they had a mess of broken boats and injuries. I don't remember the specifics now, but when we were there it was rather windy. :)

Here is an interesting way to tie-up:

Attachments

• Ruby - 1 (2).jpg
    Ruby - 1 (2).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47
The mooring fields at Catalina are tight, especially Avalon, so you should have good boat handling skills and know how the moorings are configured prior to going. The storm I referenced was an unusual case when a very strong NE hit, and in much greater magnitude than what was predicted.

The same goes for anchoring at any of the Channel Islands, The NE Santa Ana wind event (generally Sep thru Feb) is the worst case scenario and placid anchorages can become Washing machines within hours. It’s therefore critical to have a bail out plan, and know where you can run for protection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom