New Fire Extinguisher Regs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
New USCG Fire extinguisher regs effective April 20th.

https://www.boatus.com/news-room/re...e=bmag&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=magazine

Got this off the Boat/US web site. The new requirements take effect 20 April.

NEW REGULATION/S - Fire extinguishers must be replaced 12 years after manufacture.
The new fire extinguisher regulations going into effect on April 20, 2022 may seem a little confusing, but if you know the model year of your boat, they boil down to two simple points.

If you own a boat that is model year 2018 or newer, you may need to replace your fire extinguishers.

In addition to meeting the carriage requirements for the correct number of extinguishers for the size of your boat, they must be labeled as 5-B, 10-B or 20-B, extinguishers labeled with B-I or B-II only are no longer acceptable.
Extinguishers must not be more than 12 years old according to the date of manufacture stamped on the bottle
You only have to get new ones if they are no longer serviceable. Good serviceable conditions are as follows:
- If the extinguisher has a pressure gauge reading or indicator it must be in the operable range or position
- The lock pin is firmly in place
- The discharge nozzle is clean and free of obstruction
- The extinguisher does not show visible signs of significant corrosion or damage.
If you own a boat that is 2017 model year or older (between 1953-2017):

You may keep your extinguishers labeled B-I and B-II as long as they are still serviceable, but
If there is a date stamped on the bottle, extinguishers must not be more than 12 years old according to that date.
NEW: Vessel Length and Fire Extinguisher Type Table
Goes into effect April 20, 2022

Vessel Length No Fixed System With approved Fixed Systems
Less than 26' 1 B-1/5-B/10-B 0
26' to less than 40' 2 B-1/5-B/10-B or 1 B-II/20-B 1 B-1/5-B/10-B
40' to 65' 3 B-1/5-B/10-B or 1 B-II/20-B and 1 B-1/5-B/10-B 2 B-1/5-B/10-B or 1

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the difference between a B-1 and a 5-B extinguisher? They both contain 2.5 lbs of dry chemicals. If B-1 and the others similarly labelled are not acceptable, why are they listed in the last paragraph? What's the purpose?

I just bought extinguishers two years ago, I don't know if they have 5-B label on them or not and won't until I get to the boat in a couple of months. Hope this doesn't cause a run on fire extinguisher stocks.

It depends on the age of your boat. 2018 and newer have to have the newly labeled extinguishers. 2017 and older can have the old label style if they are not older than 12 years.

I'm glad the USCG is finally switching to the industry standard extinguisher ratings instead of their own system.

Thanks for both comments. Now I understand the why and the practical effect. The boat year exemption sounds like a gift to a trade association. If I take my 4 year old B-1 extinguisher from my 2017 boat over to a neighbor’s 2018 boat because he needs an extinguisher, it’s not allowed under this regulation. What is the difference between the two extinguishers that makes it ok on my boat but not my neighbor’s boat? What’s so important about a boat built in 2018 versus 2017?
I fail to see the logic.

Tom

There doesn’t need to be any logic, it’s just the new regulation.

Thanks for both comments. Now I understand the why and the practical effect. The boat year exemption sounds like a gift to a trade association. If I take my 4 year old B-1 extinguisher from my 2017 boat over to a neighbor’s 2018 boat because he needs an extinguisher, it’s not allowed under this regulation. What is the difference between the two extinguishers that makes it ok on my boat but not my neighbor’s boat? What’s so important about a boat built in 2018 versus 2017?
I fail to see the logic.

Tom

I'm betting it's one of 2 things. Either some other rule that started on 2018 models, or they just wanted to set a cutoff date and picked that at random.

I found that the 12 year applied to the throwaway extinguishers. The rechargeable units can be used if in good condition and serviced annually. I had several units last year that required a proof pressure test before completing the service. It seems that the annual requirement is new for the rechargeable units. I had 3 halon portables that required servicing and topping off ($110/lb of halon over 600 when finished.

If you own a boat that is model year 2018 or newer, you may need to replace your fire extinguishers...

You only have to get new ones if they are no longer serviceable...

If you own a boat that is 2017 model year or older (between 1953-2017):

You may keep your extinguishers labeled B-I and B-II as long as they are still serviceable...

I guess I'm a little dense - it states for a 2018 or newer boat, "you only have to get new ones if they are no longer serviceable..." So as I read that, if they have the old labels, but are otherwise still serviceable, they are grandfathered in until they are no longer serviceable or hit the 12 year mark...right?

I may be misreading that because for boats 2017 and older they say "You may keep your extinguishers labeled B-1 and B-II as long as they are still serviceable".

I don't understand how that is any different than the rule for newer boats. I mean, if the rule was the same for the two types of boats, why state one as needing replacement "if they are no longer serviceable" and the other as not needing replacement "as long as they are still serviceable".

I guess I'm getting too old for this...

I guess I'm a little dense - it states for a 2018 or newer boat, "you only have to get new ones if they are no longer serviceable..." So as I read that, if they have the old labels, but are otherwise still serviceable, they are grandfathered in until they are no longer serviceable or hit the 12 year mark...right?

I may be misreading that because for boats 2017 and older they say "You may keep your extinguishers labeled B-1 and B-II as long as they are still serviceable".

I don't understand how that is any different than the rule for newer boats. I mean, if the rule was the same for the two types of boats, why state one as needing replacement "if they are no longer serviceable" and the other as not needing replacement "as long as they are still serviceable".

I guess I'm getting too old for this...
That's not how I read & understand the Boat US link above. It requires the new labeling on 2018 & newer no exceptions that I see.

"Boats less than 26 feet and 2018 model year or newer must carry unexpired “5-B” “10-B” or “20-B” fire extinguishers. Having older “B-I” and “B-II” types do not meet the new carriage requirements."

That's not how I read & understand the Boat US link above. It requires the new labeling on 2018 & newer no exceptions that I see.

"Boats less than 26 feet and 2018 model year or newer must carry unexpired “5-B” “10-B” or “20-B” fire extinguishers. Having older “B-I” and “B-II” types do not meet the new carriage requirements."

In context, I think you are right. I was thrown by the statement "You only have to get new ones if they are no longer serviceable. Good serviceable conditions are as follows..."

I assume the new labeling has been on fire extinguishers since 2018 or so, that's why they chose that cutoff date.

Thanks for the input. I've written and read a lot of governmentese in my life and this language would never have made it out of the staffing process in my units. Some lawyer would have flagged it as a potential point of confusion.

Back
Top Bottom