New communications gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I know some of you use the Garmin tracker products....

ACR just released a new product called the Bevy stick, a waterproof Iridium communication device. It does location tracking and sharing, as well as uses Bluetooth to let your devices send and receive text messages.

https://www.bivystick.com/bivy-stick-satellite-communicator
Costs $350
Different data plans vary from $18 a month up...$50 for unlimited.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. First thing that popped into my idle head when I read: "New communications gadget?" was this...

iu

Mated with this...

iu

Need another coffee...

IACR just released a new product called the Bevy stick, a waterproof Iridium communication device.

Interesting. Similar to the InReach in function, but without the screen and keys it would be useless in most emergencies. It apparently relies on using Bluetooth from a cell phone. Cell phones are not always available (or waterproof, or floating, or have a full battery) in an emergency.

We have used Spot Messengers since they came out, but have been looking for something our daughter might like. She's 19 so will appreciate the way it can be paired up with her phone.

Some key points in its favour:

Bivy Stick has free, unlimited 'check in' messages with no need to have a subscription or be paired with a cell phone. We pay monthly for our Spot even if it never leaves the house.

If you do choose to pay one of the monthly rates for credits (messages) the unused ones accumulate over time.

The device is given a one time phone number, good for the life of the device.

One of the accessories available is a compact solar charger.

Their description of pricing:

When you activate your Bivy Stick, you are given credits to use. Each credit is basically one action of the Bivy Stick. 1 credit = 1 message, or 1 location share, or 1 weather report, or 1 hour of tracking.

Preset Check-In messages, however, are unlimited and free.

Your credits are valid for as long as your Bivy Stick is active. If you use all credits and are way off-the-grid out of service, your device will still work great and you will be charged $0.50 per additional credit used.

If you do not use all of your credits by the end of 30 days, and you pay the monthly base plan to keep the device active, all unused credits will rollover and are available to use later.

Will be looking into this one further for sure.

Thanks for the hot tip :thumb:

Last edited:
Interesting. Similar to the InReach in function, but without the screen and keys it would be useless in most emergencies. It apparently relies on using Bluetooth from a cell phone. Cell phones are not always available (or waterproof, or floating, or have a full battery) in an emergency.

Only for text messaging. The core SOS signaling function to COSPAS/SARSAT, and also a preprogrammed check-in message to a predetermined address list, can both be sent by push-button functionality i.e. without being linked to another device. I like it. Using the device keys for routine messaging on the InReach was a PITA, clunky compared to a typical smartphone.

Last edited:
ACR acquired Bivy Stick in March, 2021:

https://www.acrartex.com/press_releases/acr-acquires-bivy

Home | ACR Bivy Stick

Will the no annual or activation fee policy survive?

Was that an explicitly stated policy before? I’m not reading it that way. Buy it, activate it, pay for a plan, get a dedicated number. Only then do your “check in” messages not use your monthly credit allotment. I don’t see how they could sell the device then let you use the system for an unlimited number of check in messages without charging anything.

Nice size and packaging. Wonder how it stacks up to the very similar Zoleo.

Was that an explicitly stated policy before? I’m not reading it that way. Buy it, activate it, pay for a plan, get a dedicated number...

Yes, that's the way I see it as well (just found out about it this morning, so by no means an expert) where you first pay for the base plan, then have access to the free check in messages.

In business that's called a 'loss leader' isn't it, where you offer some nugget to get customers through the door then make your real money by selling extras?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom