Navaid reminder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I made this particular buoy reminder seen sitting atop the lower helm instrument cluster on my trawler, but I once saw a commercially produced one in plastic. There are plenty of places on the east and Gulf coasts where the ICW and other channels intersect, and you can go through several changes in buoyage in short order. This little device is handy in those places, especially when handing over the helm to the next watch. I've been looking around for one online, but as yet have not found one. I may have to get my tools out to make one for this boat. Sure, you can just pay attention to the chart without this device, and I have done that a LOT, but I like this thing too.

Attachments

• Lower sta instruments.jpg
    Lower sta instruments.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 65
The "store bought" ones I've seen are called "Marker Minder."

Yours looks nicer than plastic though. How does yours switch around? Or, what holds the pieces in place if you just move them by hand?

OK, I think I see how yours works. The two "buoys" are on a strip of wood that sits in a channel, and you simply pick it up, flip it around, and set it back in the channel. Nice! That inspires me to make one.

Mine was a piece of teak with a shallow cut into which the "beam" holding the two buoys fit by a friction fit; so I just popped it out and swapped ends when necessary. Thanks for the info.

Here is one we have used for years.
First mate has a duplicate at counter we use for charts while cruising. We discuss changes anticipated during the day and again as we approach / pass the change.
Easy to make but sometimes difficult to find colored ropes.
On an express cruiser w no good place to lay it out I made a ring around the steering wheel hub. Easily visible and easy to rotate at s change.20190724_072734.jpg

Mine is scrape piece of mahogany drilled for painted dowel rod “nun and can” in front of the compass.

Attachments

• B35A5A5C-5D22-4BE7-B440-390F5A2D133C.jpg
    B35A5A5C-5D22-4BE7-B440-390F5A2D133C.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 33
A couple of lead sinkers painted red and green.

Bacchus: That's clever!

HiDHo: For some reason my screen is cutting yours off at the top, but I gather it's something like a two-peg cribbage board and you can switch the colored pegs around as needed? Another good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom