Mandatory Life jackets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This leads me to ask one question (should I create a poll?). How many of you are wearing inflatable jacket all time while cruising?

L

I’m wearing one right now. Legally I don’t need to, but my wife is reading/napping and not watching me when I go on deck, so effectively I’m singlehanded. Overall I wear one about 60% of my time while underway on the boat.

Last edited:
No I don't. Mind you the vast majority of my boating is in enclosed waters.

I think if you venture out to sea & are on deck it is the prudent thing to do, especially if there are only two of you on board.

I know the general sentiment here seems to be that less boating regulations are better...but I would be in favor of a requirement to have a ladder that is deployable from the water.

In Southern Ireland it's mandatory, in the North its personal choice.
Throughout Europe its personal choice EXCEPT when passing through locks.

I don't wear them but am very anal about harnesses. Anytime at sea, even if glassy calm, out of the cockpit means harness on and clicked to jackline.
I have a self inflating jacket but the weight of it really hurts my neck after half an hour or so.

I know the general sentiment here seems to be that less boating regulations are better...but I would be in favor of a requirement to have a ladder that is deployable from the water.

It is mandatory in Canada to have an reboarding device on your boat (being a ladder or I don’t know what other device that could be like a ladder)

L

It is mandatory in Canada to have an reboarding device on your boat (being a ladder or I don’t know what other device that could be like a ladder)

L

I've thought that to be a good idea. All my boats have had them >10ft. Its that Canada thing with the multitude of mandatory buckets that I find curious. :popcorn:

Somewhat on topic here. We have a new grandson and will probably be boating in March / April. He'll still be very small. Am also expecting out-of-town relatives in May that will also have an infant sized boy.

Does anyone have advice / recommendations on PFD's for a 6 month old child?

mike

The best advice for infants and kids is whatever you get, make sure they'll wear it without fuss. That may mean trying a few different ones. When my son was 2, we got him a Mustang Lil' Legends pfd which came highly rated. He fussed like you wouldn't believe whenever he wore that thing. The way that pfd was cut, whenever he'd be sitting the pfd would be forced up in to his neck and irritate him. We ended up buying a Stohlquist Nemo which had a deeper v in the neck area and it was like night and day. He's 5 now and putting on his pfd is second nature whenever he gets out of the vehicle at our marina. His little sister is the same way. If I remember right, when both my kids were infants, the West Marine neoprene (wet suit material) worked best and was most comfortable for them.

I've thought that to be a good idea. All my boats have had them >10ft. Its that Canada thing with the multitude of mandatory buckets that I find curious. :popcorn:

Not curious, it is required to hold the ice and the bottle of champagne :)

L

The one time when having several children onboard, it seemed like donning PFDs was part of the fun. Still, having lots of adult supervision and strong railings with substantial gunwales reduced my stress.

Last edited:

That rule was written by a guy who had seen that the most efficient way to empty a bilge of water was a scared man with a bucket. Bigger boats have more scared men, so need to have more buckets.

The best advice for infants and kids is whatever you get, make sure they'll wear it without fuss. That may mean trying a few different ones. When my son was 2, we got him a Mustang Lil' Legends pfd which came highly rated. He fussed like you wouldn't believe whenever he wore that thing. The way that pfd was cut, whenever he'd be sitting the pfd would be forced up in to his neck and irritate him. We ended up buying a Stohlquist Nemo which had a deeper v in the neck area and it was like night and day. He's 5 now and putting on his pfd is second nature whenever he gets out of the vehicle at our marina. His little sister is the same way. If I remember right, when both my kids were infants, the West Marine neoprene (wet suit material) worked best and was most comfortable for them.

Wifey B: I bought our niece "designer" jackets, like Dora, Princess. Mermaid, etc. She's very fashion conscious. (Her mom blames her sweet innocent aunt. :blush::angel: She loved it, first on land. Then the power of association. We tell her to put her PFD on and she's so excited because to her that means boating or at least water. Over the holidays we had her and another 3 year old and told them we were going boating the next day. At 7 o'clock they're running around the house already wearing them and wear them to breakfast. Her grandparents were amazed how easy it was. I even allowed each of them to buy another one recently so she has a closet with choices. :)

Back
Top Bottom