Old 08-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound, WA
Vessel Name: Keeper
Vessel Model: 1972 Grand Banks 32'
Lopez Island Grounding

First Mate and I were tied up at a slip at Island Marine Center in Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island (in the San Juans) last evening. Watching a show in the berth when a Coast Guard helicopter started hovering at low altitude near the dock. From the flybridge I could see that it was directly above a large trawler-style yacht that was listing to port, obviously taking on water. Turns out it had hit a rock in the channel and was heading toward the beach so as not to sink in deeper water. This morning at low tide it’s high and dry. Efforts are underway to patch the gouge near the bow with bondo or some such. It’s an Arcturos 50 (also named Arcturos). Bad day for her captain and crew.
Attached Thumbnails
689B6505-4C55-46BB-8FF8-4557EA28D83B.jpg  
Eastsounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
A quick patch would most likely be 1/4” plywood & epoxy. Bondo would fail immediately.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
The entrance to Fisherman's Bay has claimed many boats over the years, usually at low water.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
A bad day, all right, but they were lucky to have enough time to get her to the beach.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
"...hit a rock in the channel" I think I'd change that to "hit a rock"
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
"...hit a rock in the channel" I think I'd change that to "hit a rock"
Well said. That channel is " awkward",but clearly marked, charted and much discussed in the literature.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
The entrance to Fisherman's Bay has claimed many boats over the years, usually at low water.
Yes the combination of the twists along with the current flowing through there makes it easy to get out of the channel quickly before realizing it. One of the few tricky entrances in the SJ Islands.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:50 PM   #8

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Wow sounds like he made the right move after the collision. In today's tight insurance market, I wonder if he'd be better off not reporting this to his insurance company and just pay for the repairs out of pocket...
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
Yes the combination of the twists along with the current flowing through there makes it easy to get out of the channel quickly before realizing it. One of the few tricky entrances in the SJ Islands.
Another one, in the Gulf Islands, is Pirates Cove. Both cause a pucker factor for me at half tide or less.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
If it is a tricky channel, you would think he would have been making way slowly. If he was making way slowly, you would think it might not punch a hole in the hull? Surprising and somewhat disappointing. I have sort of hoped to survive a mistake like that without taking on water.....
Old 08-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #11

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
I wonder if he hit the rock that is marked on the chart just outside the mouth of the entrance? I always pay special attention on my way at that location and also at the dog leg after I'm inside.

NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound, WA
Vessel Name: Keeper
Vessel Model: 1972 Grand Banks 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
I wonder if he hit the rock that is marked on the chart just outside the mouth of the entrance? I always pay special attention on my way at that location and also at the dog leg after I'm inside.

That rock on your chart screenshot is indeed notorious and is inside the blue area of the channel. Not sure if that’s the one he hit, but seems likely. Oddly the tide at the time was nearing the day’s high. Learned later that the hull is aluminum, fwiw.
Eastsounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Another one, in the Gulf Islands, is Pirates Cove. Both cause a pucker factor for me at half tide or less.
Any more details Ken?
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Any more details Ken?
Entering Pirates Cove on DeCourcey Island, you steer directly to the beach, marked with an arrow in someone's yard. When clear of the rocks to port, you take a 90 degree left turn and stay to port of a bouy marking shallows on the stbd side. On your left is a rocky ledge that is visible. At high tide, none of this is a problem. But half tide or less, it's very critical or you will be too shallow on either side. At zero tide, small boats only. Once inside, it's about 12 ft max depth at low tide, best case, with limited swing room. Great protected anchorage, but with significant limitations.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
There is a port and starboard markers, you favour the starboard side. The reason I asked for details is I know pirates cove and there is a reef many anchor close to and swing over. Got a link to the story?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirates cove.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	131047
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:44 PM   #16
Guru

I don't have any photos or a link with better details but I know the reef you are talking about. As you enter Pirates, the reef is directly ahead of you, beyond the dinghy dock on your left. It's visible at lower tides, and yes, many boats have swung over it to their detriment.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
marinetraffic.com plot

Earlier today, I put ARCTUROS into marinetraffic.com and looked at the her past track and speed. I plotted the location of a speed reduction to Navionics and the position is marked by the “crosshairs” on the attached screen shot.

Not any conclusion, but the information indicates to me that the incident did not occur in the entrance channel. Indeed the entrance-proper has soured many weekends…we have seen it ourselves.

To be clear, I am NOT slinging mud here…only pointing out the probable location for safety and awareness of ourselves and others.
Attached Thumbnails
A207AA5D-AA3A-43D0-B144-8062130957E3.jpg  
Old 08-06-2022, 10:24 PM   #18

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
When I am cruising to a new location I try to research the route, look information about entrances to anchorages and the anchorages themselves. The first time I went into Fisherman Bay I poked around on the internet. The marina https://lopezfun.com/marina/ in the bay had a good description of the hazards which I appreciated.

Cruising guides usually have similar info so to the newbies out there don't let this scare you away. A little research and planning can go a long way to having a safe cruise. Second don't follow an "auto route" from Navionics or similar software to get you into something like this. At the end of the day you need to navigate in hazardous waters vs software. It will be interesting to learn if this was an navigation error or mechanical issue at a really bad time.
Attached Thumbnails
fisherman-bay-map.jpg  
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Earlier today, I put ARCTUROS into marinetraffic.com and looked at the her past track and speed. I plotted the location of a speed reduction to Navionics and the position is marked by the “crosshairs” on the attached screen shot.

Not any conclusion, but the information indicates to me that the incident did not occur in the entrance channel. Indeed the entrance-proper has soured many weekends…we have seen it ourselves.

To be clear, I am NOT slinging mud here…only pointing out the probable location for safety and awareness of ourselves and others.
Nice work!
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #20
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
It will be interesting to learn if this was an navigation error or mechanical issue at a really bad time.
Yes it will.
Like Irene, I'm not slinging mud, but with local 'incidents" up tenfold this season, I wonder about the experience level of many of todays boaters.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote