Looking For A Dual Trumpet Air Horn - Suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I currently have an electric dual trumpet horns. Sometimes they both work and sometimes just one. But the other issue is that I really want the "Yacht" sound of loud air horns. Nothing less than 121db. (Keeping in mind that for every 7db the sound doubles). So a horn rated at 115db is half as loud as one rated at 122db.
Anyway, anybody got a loud dual trumpet air horn that they are happy with and does not cost a boat buck?

Check with the dealers that sell large trucks.
I put on a set of triples

Ted

If I could figure out where to put it I would get a horn from an aircraft carrier. I WANT to sound bigger than I am.

If I could figure out where to put it I would get a horn from an aircraft carrier. I WANT to sound bigger than I am.

I have the fog horn from a 600' freighter that I recovered from the shipwreck. It's brsss; weighs 400 pounds and is 4' long. The bigger issue to mounting and using it on my trawler is the 1.5" steam line required to blow it. Manufacturer claims it can be heard at 20 miles away.

Ted

I am working in railway industry and I wish I was able to put loco horns on my boat. There are not long, just like 10 different size trumpets working all together. But they bring the s... out of you when you hear that coming in your back. Issue is the same as above mentionned, first it takes a lot of space and you need a lot of air to make that sound!

I have the fog horn from a 600' freighter that I recovered from the shipwreck. It's brsss; weighs 400 pounds and is 4' long. The bigger issue to mounting and using it on my trawler is the 1.5" steam line required to blow it. Manufacturer claims it can be heard at 20 miles away.

Ted

I think you just described my wife .

Backing away slowly, avoiding eye contact...RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The first rule is: If you are already in a hole, quit digging.

On our previous boat I thought I wanted to sound like the Queen Mary too, so I went off the deep end. Installed a compressor under the upper helm cowling, ran lines, even installed a volume tank as a reserve, and then mounted two of the loudest 18-wheeler horns I could find. It scared the dog and hurt its ears, made my wife angry, and when I blew it at the dock for testing, I had to warn all my dock neighbors first. It seemed like a kick-butt, fun idea at the time, but I should have spent my time and money on something else. I don't think I ever did blow that horn a single time for actual safety or fog reasons.

I think you just described my wife .

I chuckled out loud when I read that. The problem is my wife then asked what was so funny. I... uh... made something up. She wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I.

It's brsss; weighs 400 pounds and is 4' long...the 1.5" steam line required to blow it.

Ted

One of the deep memories from my Navy-housing-childhood is the sound of a destroyer backing out of the des-base in National City. Three "whoops" on the steam siren followed by a long BLAAAT on the horn. There is nothing quite like it.

On our previous boat I thought I wanted to sound like the Queen Mary too, so I went off the deep end. Installed a compressor under the upper helm cowling, ran lines, even installed a volume tank as a reserve, and then mounted two of the loudest 18-wheeler horns I could find. It scared the dog and hurt its ears, made my wife angry, and when I blew it at the dock for testing, I had to warn all my dock neighbors first. It seemed like a kick-butt, fun idea at the time, but I should have spent my time and money on something else. I don't think I ever did blow that horn a single time for actual safety or fog reasons.

Exactly

Only time I have ever used one in 40 years on the water is 3 quick toots reversing from a fuel dock or marina.

$25 eBay special fills those needs.

And I thought kids driving around with those loud boomboxes were obnoxious....

If you want nice yacht horns Kahlenberg or Buel are the names to look at.

Just went to the Kahlenberg site and saw this.
It's not an air horn but you can program it to sound like any kind of horn you want. It is also a loud hauler and you can play very loud music on it! Everybody will hate you! KB-15W-BT Electronic Horn and Hailer | Kahlenberg

I had forgotten how much fun the Kahlenberg website is! You can hear the horns. Go here and click Hear It
Model Q-4 Chimetone Air Horn | Kahlenberg

This is the one I want. It is meant to sound like an old fashioned steam boat whistle. "Triple Chime" Air/Steam Whistle | Kahlenberg
That's music!
Even if I could afford the whistle, I couldn't afford the compressor to blow it.

3" pipe connection and 4,100 scfm. Yes that's a little beyond my capacity. Would still like to have a whistle.

Ted

I got a road tractor air horn off ebay for thirty bucks. Air valve in overhead at helm, compressor in engine room. That thing is LOUD. Nice thing is you can feather the valve- pull lightly, light honk. pull hard, big honk.

I do thing a two tone would be the way to go, nicer sound. Also available on the truck market.

I have been curious as to what horns are mounted on my boat. They sound good but lack the low notes that I would prefer. So this morning while the rest of the crew was still asleep I pulled apart the overhead in the PH and did some digging. Turns out it is a FIAMM air horn. Specifically, it is their Toronado Twin. This uses a low psi tankless compressor. Fairly efficient but not as acoustically satisfying as I would like. Unlike most vendors, they don't list the frequencies but do list the sound pressure at 120db. They also don't list the psi of their little compressor.

This is the kit thAt was installed and you can hear what it sounds like:
http://www.fiamm.com/en/northameric...toronado-twin-(horn-with-compressor-kit).aspx

Given the instillation location of both the horn and the compressor, I have very little room to work with. Unfortunately, the wiring chase up to the roof of the PH is completely packed so I don't think I could fit an air line in it if I mounted a larger compressor or tank below.

I would love to find a deeper sound with a small tankless compressor that I could fit in restricted space.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom