Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Lobster Pots in the middle of a channel

I saw this twice last weekend and it's getting a bit frustrating. In two different places fishermen decided to drop a lobster pot in the middle of a channel. This is in between a series of red/green buoys. They were different colors so, it was two different licenses involved.

One was coming into Watch Hil Pass in Rhode Island. This can be heavily congested with traffic and the pass slices between a rocky shore and a long set of shoals.

The other was in a much narrower channel. Again, right between the red and green buoys.

In either location, getting a line wrapped in the prop and getting disabled could be a big issue.

Shouldn't there be regulations preventing this behavior?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Great question! I’m sure any regulations would be from local jurisdictions. I deal with many crab traps/markers and often wonder the same thing!

I especially hate the markers painted black or dark green!
In my opinion, these things may be the greatest hazard to navigation.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I really have a few other concerns, but they're mostly somewhat selfish.

Last year, I passed one that was about 6" underwater at high tide. Lobsterman simply didn't use enough line to account for the depth at high tide. I noticed it it about 10 feet from my bow. I was able to chop the throttle and throw it into neutral in time.

The other reason is, I travel at night and have little chance of catching these at night. Part of me feels as though their choice of where to fish now somewhat impedes my ability to safely travel. It's a big ocean, can't we all share responsibly?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
they wont be there much longer.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
All the way from Jersey to Key West there are pots in the middle of the channel.

Some places Fish & Game have bouys that prohibit it...like in the Chesapeake....and it is honored somewhat. Other places like Jersey have laws against it, but they ae rarely enforced.

While I can feel for waterman, I always felt that if you could prove that you hit a pot in the channel, they should be liable for damages.... yet the argument that the pot was moved by a person or nature could be strong....unless a simple picture shows a whole row of buoys running down the channel... which is pretty common!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
A good case for line cutters / spurs on the prop shaft...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
A good case for line cutters / spurs on the prop shaft...
According to some divers, cutters are hit or miss.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL

Apparently some work on some lines, nets and tarps..

Looks like the video says the cutter near the leading edge of the prop is the best location for variable debris.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
Clearly you haven’t been to Maine:-). But I couldn’t agree more about them being a hazard to navigation. They should be prohibited from designated channels, but frequently completely block them.

Sharp cutters and more throttle.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
There are approximately 3 million lobster pots in the water in Maine. About 1/3 of them have buoys attached. They are absolutely everywhere including in mooring fields and in the fairways between docks at marinas. It definitely drives me crazy but its a fact of life in Maine. A sharp eye and line cutters (for those the eye misses) are a necessity. After a couple thousand miles in Maine waters I've gotten somewhat used to it but I still hate it.

What really scares me are the fish weirs at or just under the surface of the water. No shaft cutters will save you from them and RI has a number of them.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Our solution. Hold a straight course (but do not back up). Works great for us in the Maine minefields.
Attached Thumbnails
Prop Cage.JPG  
Old 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Report it to the USCG and the local authority. Can't hurt, may help. I recall the one time we took the inside route down the Keys, after about Channel 5 you could tell where the ICW was because it was filled with pots. The place to put a trap is right at the bottom of an embankment. In many other places, the pots tell you where the real edge of the channel is.
We went into Watch Hill (Napatree Beach anchorage, actually) a few times, didn't notice a problem this time of year on the kind of weird channel over from Stonington. Are there pots there now? We went out of there in pea soup fog once, man that would have been a real PITA.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
The marina we docked at on the Chesapeake had a slip for a Dept of Natural Resources police. I asked one day why the channels were not clear of crab pots. He advised me that there are several "Float Free zones" on the Bay and then admitted that there were often crab traps in them as a result of them being dragged into the FFZ by barges and other boats.
As far as other areas, he asked me why I felt I had any more rights to any piece of water than the waterman did, who is trying to make a living. He also felt that the crab trap markers kept captains from just putting the boat on autopilot and not paying attention.

In the end, it was clear, he was not concerned where the floats were located.

The worst we have found have been in the Albermarle Sound.

A friends boat suffered over $7,000 damage when they started up the motor and put it in gear to pull forward and release a mooring pendant. They had not seen nor expected a lobster trap to be in the mooring field.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
“What really scares me are the fish weirs at or just under the surface of the water. No shaft cutters will save you from them and RI has a number of them.“

This may be the first year in some time that I haven’t heard of someone being caught in the fish traps off of Newport / Sakonnet or Narragansett.......yet. However the area in which they are allowed is clearly marked on the chart. Stay out of those areas unless you have clear and calm conditions. Then pay very close attention.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
The marina we docked at on the Chesapeake had a slip for a Dept of Natural Resources police. I asked one day why the channels were not clear of crab pots. He advised me that there are several "Float Free zones" on the Bay and then admitted that there were often crab traps in them as a result of them being dragged into the FFZ by barges and other boats.
As far as other areas, he asked me why I felt I had any more rights to any piece of water than the waterman did, who is trying to make a living. He also felt that the crab trap markers kept captains from just putting the boat on autopilot and not paying attention.

In the end, it was clear, he was not concerned where the floats were located.

The worst we have found have been in the Albermarle Sound.

A friends boat suffered over $7,000 damage when they started up the motor and put it in gear to pull forward and release a mooring pendant. They had not seen nor expected a lobster trap to be in the mooring field.
I used to be at a marina in the Back River Chesapeake Bay. Several years were real bad for traps. We had to constantly dodge and veer, traps were spaced every 50 to 100 feet and all randomly tossed around. Then the crab population plummeted and limits were in place and many traps disappeared.

One year on a haul both props had that 1/4 " rope wrapped tightly around the shafts in a ball. My prop has churned and destroyed a couple of those floats, and they are tough. They thump hard on the hull when the prop grabs them.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Not sure about anywhere else, but in Maine, the theory is the fishermen were there first. Someone put the channel in their fishing grounds, not the other way around.

They will put their gear where the lobsters are. Period. You are legally obligated to maintain a proper lookout anyway. Your failure to do so is not their fault. And if you're not watching for lobster buoys, you won't see a log, or any other floating hazards, either.

That said, yes, there are idiots among them who leave the buoys just below the surface at high tide, and others who fill a channel or narrow passage to the point it's almost impassible. And don't even get me started about the buffoons who fish with toggles on the buoys, strung across the channel like a prop trap. All part of the joy of boating.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Does anyone produce "amateur" floating-mine-clearing gear for recreational vessels?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #18
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
They will put their gear where the lobsters are. Period. You are legally obligated to maintain a proper lookout anyway. Your failure to do so is not their fault. And if you're not watching for lobster buoys, you won't see a log, or any other floating hazards, either.
If you look at the history of lobstering in Maine, that isn't really the case. There are areas there where you cannot possibly avoid them, they are less than one boat length apart. I've been anchored, and had lobstermen drop traps 10' off my stern and across my anchor chain as I watched.

The density of lobster and crab buoys south of Maine are a minor inconvenience, compared to what goes on there. Here's an example of a less dense area. In the really dense areas, there is no time to shoot a picture. All the little dots are buoys extending to the horizon.

DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 AM   #19

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Our solution. Hold a straight course (but do not back up). Works great for us in the Maine minefields.

Very ingenious system thank you for sharing Sir. I shall pass to a friend of mine who owns a GB 32 single engine. We deal with same issues here mainly on the Spanish coasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Image3.jpg  
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:53 AM   #20
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post

Do you have any vibrations issues with that setup?