Kady Krogan Off N. Captiva Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnoft

Vessel Name
Amazing Grace
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
The boat, looks like a 42 KK, ran aground about 100-150 yards off the beach. One apparent eye witness said it was going "kinda fast as it hit the sand bar". Musta' been 7 1/2 -8 its to be fast for a KK. Lady I talked to said it grounded Monday 2/28, she saw the crew bailing for a time. "Good Swan" out of Portsmouth, RI is shipping water over the port side. The wind shifted today and the vessel is no longer parallel to the beach but pointed out to sea. With a Southerly wind, more water is likely to come aboard.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 192
KK N Captiva

When I took this pic, there was a lady hunting for shells just to the right of the frame, about 40-50 yards from the boat. Water was calf deep.

Feb 28th!! It's amazing it wasn't rescued almost immediately. I wonder if the delay means there's extensive hull damage for some reason, which could mean a salvage operation along with all the expense and legal hassles that might entail.

I’m also surprised it’s still there. It must be so buried in the sand they can’t drag it out or get to it in such shallow water. How sad.

If it has stabilizers it may have a hole in it. Could be they are waiting for some temporary repairs before hauling it off so it doesn’t sink right away. Maybe???

KK off N Captiva

Took this on Friday, wind had shifted from SE to SW and the list to port has increased. I'm guessing the USCG has not been notified, no oil boom around the boat. It is a sad situation but avoidable.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 141
I called the Coast Guard in Ft Meyers about this grounded vessel and was informed that, 1) No, they were not aware of this boat and 2) Based on what I told them, this is now a salvage operation and beyond their purview. Not what I expected.

Hmmm - wonder if it was stolen and the owner doesn't know about it sitting here aground...

Good for you calling. It’s odd that the CG wasn’t aware of it and they consider it a salvage, yet how are they certain no one is aboard in distress or worse? One wonders how the boat got there if no one was aboard. If broken mooring or anchor, you’d think the owner would know and notify someone.

Very sad. Looks like the dinghy is still aboard. Doesn't seem to have many good outcomes.

Sharp contrast between such a seaworthy vessel being so helpless.

According to the Krogen database it’s a 1980 hull 42-15.

I think the big question is whether anyone is still aboard, or what became of them? Are the owners/operators accounted for?

Perhaps someone with a Krogen has community access to confirm everyone is accounted for?

I think the big question is whether anyone is still aboard, or what became of them? Are the owners/operators accounted for?

Perhaps someone with a Krogen has community access to confirm everyone is accounted for?

The Krogen fleet database lists the owners name but he’s not a member of the Krogen Cruisers. I’ve posted the news to the Krogen Cruisers forum, maybe someone knows this individual and can confirm they are safe. If so will update this thread.

Good point, TT. I suppose the skipper could have had a heart attack or stroke while under way...and still be there on board. That would explain a lot...

Strong northeast winds today, clocking east through Tuesday. That'll tend to lower the water levels along the shoreline, which is unhelpful to freeing the boat, but on the other hand it'll flatten the swells and make it easier to work around the site of the grounding.

She may have been driven further up into the shallows by now though. Heavy surf was reported along the lower west coast since yesterday.

What a sad mess. Hard to imagine anyone experienced enough to own a KK allowing that to happen.

The Krogen fleet database lists the owners name but he’s not a member of the Krogen Cruisers. I’ve posted the news to the Krogen Cruisers forum, maybe someone knows this individual and can confirm they are safe. If so will update this thread.

Another Google search, this time with Kadey Krogen spelled correctly, turned up the owner's name on the KK database and, another search with this sufficiently unusual name turned up his address and telephone number in Portsmouth.

And there was another article from 2016 mentioning that the owner lived on the boat in the marina.

I don't think it would be wise to publish it here -- but Google on "Good Swan" "Kadey Krogen" and you will see...

If no one is willing to claim salvage fees...it must be worthless.

Another Google search, this time with Kadey Krogen spelled correctly, turned up the owner's name on the KK database and, another search with this sufficiently unusual name turned up his address and telephone number in Portsmouth.

And there was another article from 2016 mentioning that the owner lived on the boat in the marina.

I don't think it would be wise to publish it here -- but Google on "Good Swan" "Kadey Krogen" and you will see...
I tried that but nothing of interest came up.

I tried that but nothing of interest came up.
I will send you a PM. just don't feel it's right to broadcast name, telephone number, family members, address, etc. here...

Good for you calling. It’s odd that the CG wasn’t aware of it and they consider it a salvage, yet how are they certain no one is aboard in distress or worse? One wonders how the boat got there if no one was aboard. If broken mooring or anchor, you’d think the owner would know and notify someone.

The OP said the crew was bailing water in the first post so it just didn’t break mooring unattended. Where have they been though?

The OP said the crew was bailing water in the first post so it just didn’t break mooring unattended. Where have they been though?

Still could be a theft situation, I suppose...

How could the CG be unaware of that boat near such a high-traffic area? And the "not our problem" response -- just as another poster said, you think they would maybe send somebody over there at least to check it out to confirm no one is aboard and check fuel spillage? I understand the CG can't possibly check every boat that runs aground or founders in the U.S., that's all they'd ever do, but a high-priced boat just off Catalina? We're not talking about Little Diomede for pete's sake.

Last edited:
I understand the CG can't possibly check every boat that runs aground or founders in the U.S., that's all they'd ever do, but a high-priced boat just off Catalina? We're not talking about Little Diomede for pete's sake.

Clarifying, North Captiva Island is on the west coast of Florida, between Ft. Myers and Charlotte Harbor. This skipper may have been trying to navigate Captiva Pass, which to my knowledge has never been marked because it is so shifty and serves zero commercial traffic. Even with local knowledge I'd be awfully wary in anything drawing more than a couple of feet, and then only on a flood tide.

What a sad mess. Hard to imagine anyone experienced enough to own a KK allowing that to happen.

You mean like me? I had to be pulled off of the shallows in Longboat Pass just last week. It was the first time ever, but when Tow Boat came out to get me, he said there were no current charts available to indicate the shoaling underway and noted that even when they come out to pull someone off, they have to follow their crumbs back in again. I had no damage but I guarantee I’ve got no paint left on my 3’2” deep keel. It happens.

Ach, sorry, typo/brain hiccup (and I'll leave it uncorrected in the previous post for clarity of the thread) but I did mean Captiva, not Catalina. We did a couple back-to-back Colgate sailing courses out of the South Seas resort. Either way, it's not a distant outpost or low-traffic by any means, relatively high-traffic as I recall.

You mean like me? I had to be pulled off of the shallows in Longboat Pass just last week. It was the first time ever, but when Tow Boat came out to get me, he said there were no current charts available to indicate the shoaling underway and noted that even when they come out to pull someone off, they have to follow their crumbs back in again. I had no damage but I guarantee I’ve got no paint left on my 3’2” deep keel. It happens.

I meant like me, healhustler, not you. I'm not even smart enough to own a KK.

It's certainly happened to me, as it will to most who spend enough time around inshore waters. Other than bottom paint, the worst of the damage was to my nerve. But I didn't rest until the boat was off the bottom and fully afloat again.

Back
Top Bottom