Kady Krogan Off N. Captiva Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the 42 year old composite bottom has given way at the rudder or stabilizer area (if so equipped) due to a grounding salvage may prove difficult at best. If insured, the owner may be at loggerheads over environmental or scrap value coverage.

Fuel removal would seem job one. Ifs and speculation on my part.

How could the CG be unaware of that boat near such a high-traffic area? And the "not our problem" response -- just as another poster said, you think they would maybe send somebody over there at least to check it out to confirm no one is aboard and check fuel spillage?

The US Coast Guard is in the following businesses:

Vessel in distress (Protection of Life)

Overseeing Commercial Safety (Protection of Life)

Overseeing recreational safety (protection of life)

Federal Maritime Police (Drug smuggling is not a State by State issue, especially in Federal Waters).

Search and Rescue (Preservation of Life).

The USCG is not in the Marine Salvage business.

You are assuming that the USCG has not been apprised of the situation.

As for Captiva Pass. It is relatively narrow, completely unmarked, and takes a hard dog-leg turn to port. It wouldn't be hard to run aground if you are unfamiliar with the pass and are zoomed out too far on your GPS (If he was looking at it at all).

The US Coast Guard is in the following businesses:

Vessel in distress (Protection of Life)

Overseeing Commercial Safety (Protection of Life)

Overseeing recreational safety (protection of life)

Federal Maritime Police (Drug smuggling is not a State by State issue, especially in Federal Waters).

Search and Rescue (Preservation of Life).

The USCG is not in the Marine Salvage business.

You are assuming that the USCG has not been apprised of the situation.

You missed the primary mission of the CG... To Guard the coast....

By now, you can imagine to water level inside matches the level outside; so it's now worthless. As somebody said. maybe stabilizer hole by now, although I though they were supposed to snap off rather than hull the boat.

Actually the CG has eleven missions. Among them is environmental protection.

I’d think leaking fuel from a sinking boat might fall within their interest. Maybe not to string oil booms but to make sure it gets done if it needs to, after they confirm no one is aboard.

Hey y'all, made an account because I am an avid boater and happened to be on North Captiva this week! I own a Morgan out island, not quite a trawler but pretty darn close!

The boat is still here. From what I'm told from locals is that a licensed captain went out and siphoned off all of the fuel a couple of days ago.

The boat is very hard around, and appears to have stabilizers. I can only assume the submerged side has the stabilizer ripped off and the boat is full of water.

I was also told the anchor light was on for about 3 days and no lights have been on since. The owner is fine and safe and no longer aboard.

Really is a shame to see a boat laid up like that! I've been through this past few times and can see how one could easily mess it up.

I wish everyone involved the best, if I'm ever in such a situation I hope no one assumes the worst of me.

I wish everyone involved the best, if I'm ever in such a situation I hope no one assumes the worst of me.

Wifey B: Afraid in this case even the best isn't very good. Best is owner screwed up. Only other aspects are why.

Then you get into who's going to do what to whom and when and owner and insurance and salvor and maybe CG and maybe local government and every day one or the other drags it out, it gets worse. I've seen them run up on the beach and sit for many long days. Oh, and left out help yourselfers who decide to see what they can remove. I feel for the owner. Just hope they have good insurance and aren't one who only looked at price, or decided they didn't need insurance. :confused:

Hey y'all, made an account because I am an avid boater and happened to be on North Captiva…

Thanks for the update and glad to hear the crew is fine. The story didn’t align with my first and second hand simplistic knowledge of groundings- run aground, call for assistance, assistance comes, boat leaves. But in this instance that we are aware of, no CG, no float bags, oil booms, Sea Tow or TowboatUS, no reported typical accoutrements of a three week grounding. So something sounded off.

I'm no longer on the island, sadly, but did have some drinks with a resident who has an excellent view of the wreck which is where I got most of my information.

Sea tow was there and tried unsuccessfully for a number of hours to take it off before they gave up, not sure where info spread that they weren't notified (Again, from what I'm told)

There's also two sunk boats right near matlacha with seemingly no environmental barriers either, seems authorities in the area aren't too interested in it!

Anyway, probably won't be logging back in, and I won't have any new information, but the boats still very much there, pointing north now, and very, very hard aground.

I'm no longer on the island, sadly, but did have some drinks with a resident who has an excellent view of the wreck which is where I got most of my information.

Sea tow was there and tried unsuccessfully for a number of hours to take it off before they gave up, not sure where info spread that they weren't notified (Again, from what I'm told)

There's also two sunk boats right near matlacha with seemingly no environmental barriers either, seems authorities in the area aren't too interested in it!

Anyway, probably won't be logging back in, and I won't have any new information, but the boats still very much there, pointing north now, and very, very hard aground.

On the Krogen Cruisers group it was reported that the boat was taken away on a barge.

Attachments

• 910867B9-9082-4972-8AE6-05422417F4AA.jpeg
    910867B9-9082-4972-8AE6-05422417F4AA.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 58
I called the Coast Guard in Ft Meyers about this grounded vessel and was informed that, 1) No, they were not aware of this boat and 2) Based on what I told them, this is now a salvage operation and beyond their purview. Not what I expected.

As an old Coastie I can tell you it stopped being their issue once safety of lives aboard was addressed. As to why they didn't know about it, watchstander you talked to may not have known but I doubt higher-ups were unaware.

I can report she is now laying on her side at Gulf Marine Yachtworks in Ft. Myers Beach, FL. I saw her there yesterday and wondered what the backstory was. Very sad sight to see a great cruising boat laid up like that, but glad the crew is safe.
Like many of the passes of SWFL, Captiva Pass is not marked and the shifting sands make them tricky to navigate. Captiva Pass is a bad choice for boats with fixed keels that draw more than two or three feet. For entrance to Pine Island Sound from the Gulf, cruising boats should use Boca Grande Pass, Redfish Pass or come around Pt. Ybel on the southeast end on Sanibel.

From the Owner of Good Swan

I am the former owner of Good Swan, Kadey Krogen 42-15, homeport Portsmouth, RI. Made an overnight passage from Dry Tortugas going to Cayo Costa, Fri, 3/4. I was following an auto guidance course on my 2 mo old Garmin 942sx. Before committing to the course, I examined the depths on the Garmin, cross referenced the latest navionics chart and even examined the google satellite view. Frankly, it looked OK. With few exceptions 8’ all the way. Below is a picture of the chart plotter after the grounding. Please note the depths.
When I grounded it was mid tide and the boat was floating and level. I called Boat US for assistance and it was with great relief that they arrived in a half hour. The boat still was floating upright upon arrival. The tow captain didn’t want to tow me straight, he thought that there wasn’t enough water. He decided to attach a tow line to my starboard bow cleat and commenced to tow me sideways. Physics what they are the towing vector was more diagonal to the hull than perpendicular. I had made him aware of the stabilizers but he thought it was worth a try. He pulled the boat about 90 degrees and we noticed we were taking water on the port side. The tugging had ripped the port stabilizer off. The boat quickly filled with water. 2 more Boat US boats arrived with pumps but it was a lost cause. We gathered a few things off the boat and abandoned ship getting a ride to Jug Creek well after dark. As soon as I realized the gravity of the situation I called my insurance company. Before 6 pm there was a contract to remove the boat with a contractor in Ft Meyers. My understanding was that it would be gone by Monday but It was out of my hands. I let the company know right away that I was carrying over 700 gals of diesel. Not sure why but with scheduling and weather the boat remained for two more weeks. It was finally picked up by barge the weekend of the 20th. I got to see the boat in the yard on the 22nd. It had already been reduced to rubble with just a very few personal items saved. Pretty much lost everything. The 2 kayaks strapped to the boat deck we missing. It was reported by the recovery crew that the fuel was successfully recovered but every item aboard was destroyed.

Well folks, that’s the story. Luckily, I was sensibly insured. One of my biggest regrets was that people had stare at my wreck for a couple of weeks. I wanted it removed immediately. I apologize to the residents of N Captiva Is.
Epilogue:
I’m 72 years old and having the best time of my life. This is a huge setback but after taking the summer off I’m going to buy another trawler and continue my adventures. After all is said and done, I’m a lucky person and live a wonderful trawler life. I may be down but I’m far from out.
Andy and my boat dog, Teddy.
4AF17FFD-1615-4E70-8AF5-B10042B28160.jpg

09298F3E-CF0E-46B0-884A-CB8EB6B69945.jpg

Attachments

• 9CDFD279-B974-4ABB-A23E-82A96F47FEF5.jpg
    9CDFD279-B974-4ABB-A23E-82A96F47FEF5.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 49
Thank you for sharing your story. Just glad you’re OK and well insured.

Also glad you and the puppy are fine. Hope the next boat works out great for you.

Andy,
First off, thank you for reaching out to the forum and giving all here the first hand account of the indecent. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have seen first hand a couple of folks who shared a similar fate as yours and all of you were lucky to be relatively unharmed. I would imagine that the loss of your boat is still a bit of a shock, just keep moving forward and it will get easier with time.

When all is said and done, we would love to hear from you how all the dealings with the insurance co, the salvor, USCG and all other parties went. As bad as it may sound, your loss can help others who may at some point find themselves in a similar place.

Again, thank you for sharing your events, good luck on the new boat search
HOLLYWOOD

Andy
So sorry for your loss. But happy for your optimism and moving forward to find another vessel. Two questions:

- Had a recent storm changed the bottom contour?
- Do the Navionics charts for the area agree with "historic" NOAA charts?

Thanks and good luck in your new journey

I am not being critical nor am I attempting to make a federal case out of this but there are a few things about the above story that don't make sense to me. The Dry Tortugas are well South of Cayo Costa and while I've not made that voyage, The two routes that seem most likely would involve entering Pine Island Sound at its southern end near Sanibel or staying outside and entering Charlotte Harbor thru the lager and well marked Boca Grande Pass, not thru Captiva Pass. If the vessel was making for Captiva Pass from the south, why was the "track" on the plotter showing a southerly heading? The grounding occurred about a mile south of Captiva Pass.
I too am glad all survived without injury but am confused with the above.

Andy, welcome to the forum! So very sorry for your loss. A friend of mine went by you a few days after you grounded in another 42' Krogen (Courage). He also grounded but was able to back off. It seems most of that inlet has shoaled. Glad you and Teddy are ok! While it's tragic, so glad you had proper insurance. It's bad enough to loose your vessel, I'm sure the removal cost wasn't cheap. Hopefully you will find another nice boat, and continue on with your travels.

Ted

I can understand why the USCG never got involved much.

The call to a boat station about a grounded boat that was in danger of sinking with any salvage vessels around and no danger to the crew would not necessarily require any action.

The possible fuel situation would be passed up the line to the Sector office that deals with salvage plans and the removal of the fuel by the salvage company, the local small boats have no way of dealing with that other than boom and the salvage guys should have done that as soon as any leaked. From a sunken boat sitting on the bottom, upright shouldn't leak much fuel.

As long as the boat wasn't going anywhere, getting a crane barge lined up and a salvage plan approved though the USCG and the equipment to transfer the fuel could have taken days or weeks depending on both equipment availability and red tape going back and forth between the insurance, savor and USCG. Actually to me, most of it sounds pretty normal.

The biggest learning point to me is....larger vessels should almost always never be twisted off from a grounding. Single screw, full keel vessels maybe...but never if they have Fins. Vessels with full running gear also should only be pulled straight ahead. My personal rule was to never twist off a trin outlive either, the one on the pull side is susceptible to breaking the yokes on the outside from the leverage if the drive manages to touch bottom.

Many assistance tow captains don't have a lot of experience with groundings, especially larger boats. I used to go by the other companies boats and even some of our own captains and shake my head.

Almost always when it's a larger boat, unless you can blow away sand/mud/gravel and make deeper water to pull it into....waiting for the high tide and having a second or more powerful boat available is a better plan. The risks of a dropping and returning tide to flooding the boat must be addressed also.

There are many things that a tow captain should be considering before commencing a tow unless the vessel is still rocking, the tide is slack or rising, there is deep water nearly straight ahead, and the tow vessel can pull gently nearly straight ahead.

I am not being critical nor am I attempting to make a federal case out of this but there are a few things about the above story that don't make sense to me. The Dry Tortugas are well South of Cayo Costa and while I've not made that voyage, The two routes that seem most likely would involve entering Pine Island Sound at its southern end near Sanibel or staying outside and entering Charlotte Harbor thru the lager and well marked Boca Grande Pass, not thru Captiva Pass. If the vessel was making for Captiva Pass from the south, why was the "track" on the plotter showing a southerly heading? The grounding occurred about a mile south of Captiva Pass.
I too am glad all survived without injury but am confused with the above.

Looked normal to me if plotter was on heads up and the vessel was grounded where the GPS would not has an accurate track to display.

Yeah, something doesn’t seem right. Teddy looks like you didn’t save his toys. Tell me you salvaged his favorite squeaky.

I am the former owner of Good Swan, Kadey Krogen 42-15, homeport Portsmouth, RI. Made an overnight passage from Dry Tortugas going to Cayo Costa, Fri, 3/4. I was following an auto guidance course on my 2 mo old Garmin 942sx. Before committing to the course, I examined the depths on the Garmin, cross referenced the latest navionics chart and even examined the google satellite view. Frankly, it looked OK. With few exceptions 8’ all the way. Below is a picture of the chart plotter after the grounding. Please note the depths.
When I grounded it was mid tide and the boat was floating and level. I called Boat US for assistance and it was with great relief that they arrived in a half hour. The boat still was floating upright upon arrival. The tow captain didn’t want to tow me straight, he thought that there wasn’t enough water. He decided to attach a tow line to my starboard bow cleat and commenced to tow me sideways. Physics what they are the towing vector was more diagonal to the hull than perpendicular. I had made him aware of the stabilizers but he thought it was worth a try. He pulled the boat about 90 degrees and we noticed we were taking water on the port side. The tugging had ripped the port stabilizer off. The boat quickly filled with water. 2 more Boat US boats arrived with pumps but it was a lost cause. We gathered a few things off the boat and abandoned ship getting a ride to Jug Creek well after dark. As soon as I realized the gravity of the situation I called my insurance company. Before 6 pm there was a contract to remove the boat with a contractor in Ft Meyers. My understanding was that it would be gone by Monday but It was out of my hands. I let the company know right away that I was carrying over 700 gals of diesel. Not sure why but with scheduling and weather the boat remained for two more weeks. It was finally picked up by barge the weekend of the 20th. I got to see the boat in the yard on the 22nd. It had already been reduced to rubble with just a very few personal items saved. Pretty much lost everything. The 2 kayaks strapped to the boat deck we missing. It was reported by the recovery crew that the fuel was successfully recovered but every item aboard was destroyed.

Well folks, that’s the story. Luckily, I was sensibly insured. One of my biggest regrets was that people had stare at my wreck for a couple of weeks. I wanted it removed immediately. I apologize to the residents of N Captiva Is.
Epilogue:
I’m 72 years old and having the best time of my life. This is a huge setback but after taking the summer off I’m going to buy another trawler and continue my adventures. After all is said and done, I’m a lucky person and live a wonderful trawler life. I may be down but I’m far from out.
Andy and my boat dog, Teddy.

Sure a difficult story and just glad no one is hurt. Also, a great reminder of the need for quality insurance. I do hope they and Tow Boat US and the removal contractor and everything else gets worked out fine and you're soon back on the water. Sad when a bad situation is turned worse.

Don't apologize to the residents of N Captiva Island, entertained them and brought excitement to their lives. Do apologize to Teddy, but dogs being as they are, I'm sure he forgot and forgave in minutes.

Well, I’m glad everyone was entertained. I was really worried about the fuel aboard. Things could’ve been much worse. I had hopes that it would be removed immediately. I do appreciate everyone’s understanding. Teddy seems none the worse for wear. Thank you for your kindness. Andy

Last edited:
Well, I’m glad everyone was entertained. I was really worried about the fuel aboard. Things could’ve been much worse. I had hopes that it would be removed immediately. I do appreciate everyone’s understanding. Teddy seems none the worse for wear. Thank you for your kindness. Andy

I feel for you as the decision by the captain was partly understandable but still in error (big assumption as I wasn't there) but the result as I am reading it was to be avoidable and probably was and would take this statement back with amplifying information on his/her part.

Funny about the "view" by residents or entertainment concern. I am warped and love the waterfront seascape, wrecks (sorry), dilapidated docks, old fishing boats, etc...etc and all. Sorta adds character though a pretty KK is never as good as a rusting hulk of an old coastal freighter. :D

Hope you are made whole as grounding is a minor mistake usually...but salvage and worsening the situation is rarely a forgivable situation..... understandable but probably not directly connecting you.

I want to add my own thanks to Andy for joining us here and telling us his story. I am not sure I would have had the mental fortitude to do so. This is a learning experience for us all, and I hope that Andy will stick with us in the future to add his hard-learned knowlege to ongoing discussions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom